NVIDIA Shifts Away From Smartphones

qwertywarrior

yay

NVIDIA's CEO, Jen-Hsun Huang, revealed in an interview with CNET that the company is shifting its focus away from Smartphones to other, more profitable markets. NVIDIA chipsets, save for Tegra 3, has had limited success in the world of Smartphones. Tegra 4 barely made it to a few devices, and the company's Tegra 4i chipset hasn't had much luck with design wins either.

Keeping all this in mind, NVIDIA is now looking at other markets, such as gaming devices (take NVIDIA's own Shield for example), cars, etc. Here's hoping that we still see Tegra K1 tablets hit the market sometime soon.

http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/8879/nvidia-shifts-focus-away-from-smartphones.html

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Hmm, consoles and phones, two large markets not to be a part of.

From my perspective it's strange that a company capable of potentially competing in the smartphone/tablet market would seek success in the production of proprietary handheld gaming devices over the smartphone/tablet market.

Shows how much I know about that part of tech market I suppose, but still.

Shame. If people knew how powerful the Tegra chips were they would definitely sell.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Hmm, consoles and phones, two large markets not to be a part of.

From my perspective it's strange that a company capable of potentially competing in the smartphone/tablet market would seek success in the production of proprietary handheld gaming devices over the smartphone/tablet market.

they have tow major weaknesses

1.they are relatively new to the market

2.they are always late with their products

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Shame. If people knew how powerful the Tegra chips were they would definitely sell.

Heads and tails above the snapdragon equivalents in gaming especially. Trouble is, nvidia have said they wont cut corners to lower the price so it just isn't commercially viable to put in every device.

Shame but I hope this doesn't mean they'll stop the Tegra series. 

Good, because the Tegra 4 was awful for phones.

Far too power hungry. Far too much heat. Worse ISP. No integrated modems for things like WiFi or 2G/3G/HSPA/LTE. No custom programmable cores and the list goes on.

It made no sense getting the Tegra 4 over a Snapdragon for a phone.

Good, because the Tegra 4 was awful for phones.

Far too power hungry. Far too much heat. Worse ISP. No integrated modems for things like WiFi or 2G/3G/HSPA/LTE. No custom programmable cores and the list goes on.

It made no sense getting the Tegra 4 over a Snapdragon for a phone.

+1 What this guy said. Why waste an awesome iGPU on a smartphone where graphically intensive mobile games like FPS & GTA are a far inferior experience versus say a 7" tablet or shield. Plus it will suck up the juice so tiny smartphone makes would have probably avoided it anyway. 

+1 What this guy said. Why waste an awesome iGPU on a smartphone where graphically intensive mobile games like FPS & GTA are a far inferior experience versus say a 7" tablet or shield. Plus it will suck up the juice so tiny smartphone makes would have probably avoided it anyway. 

The stealth core is a bad idea as well. Having a proper big.LITTLE implementation gives far more flexibility. The bloody things doesn't even work on Windows because it's some proprietary solution.

It made sense in Tegra 3 when it was that or nothing, but we got better solutions now and I don't get why they kept the worse implementation.

No offense to Shield fanatics but hopefully this means we can give up on serious gaming for mobile platforms, let's face it now it was always fucking retarded to attempt legit, "full featured" games on tablets and phones: flash games should suffice for all your commuting and shitting needs.

-------

Current Rig

-------

lol no they wouldn't. The snapdragon 800 destroyed the tegra 4. The 600 destroyed the tegra 3. 

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

No offense to Shield fanatics but hopefully this means we can give up on serious gaming for mobile platforms, let's face it now it was always fucking retarded to attempt legit, "full featured" games on tablets and phones: flash games should suffice for all your commuting and shitting needs.

funny cause no mobile os supports flash. you know what flash games are, right?

funny cause no mobile os supports flash. you know what flash games are, right?

Yeah: shitty, web browser based games. So yeah technically they're not "flash" games but they function almost identically to browser based games: Barely any gameplay and designed to be played 4 or 5 minutes at the time only: the gaming equivalent of "rock, paper, scissors" 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yeah: shitty, web browser based games. So yeah technically they're not "flash" games but they function almost identically to browser based games: Barely any gameplay and designed to be played 4 or 5 minutes at the time only: the gaming equivalent of "rock, papers, scissors" 

umm ur still wrong. . . There are tons of browser games that aren't flash based and are better than a lot of games. That's not what flash games means. Flash games mean a game requiring the plug in that they were designed on.

umm ur still wrong. . . There are tons of browser games that aren't flash based and are better than a lot of games. That's not what flash games means. Flash games mean a game requiring the plug in that they were designed on.

I already acknowledged that your stupid fucking technicality is correct yet EVERYBODY understands exactly what I mean. Is it really that important for you to win an argument that you must keep replying without even fucking reading what I said? FINE YOU WIN, I WAS WRONG, RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

-------

Current Rig

-------

Thing is, Nvidia's big seller is not really in any of those markets, as long as they stay lucrative in the GPU supercomputing market they will be able to have decent funds for R&D in different areas.  And let's face it, Tegra was not all bad, I mean it taught Nvidia that lowering power-consumption was a thing.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Qualcomm Snapdragon already kicked nvidia @$$ in that market :lol: (long time ago)