Budget Custom Loop for 3080+R9 5950X in an H9 Elite

Go to solution Solved by Somerandomtechyboi,
On 3/29/2024 at 6:55 PM, Sanedish said:

I Don't want people telling me "mememe get an aio blabla its cheaper", i have an AIO [Kraken Z73, had an X73 before] and i don't want another one. I wanna do an custom loop because it's the last thing i wanna do to this PC for the next years.

i mean the kraken aios are pretty shit for performance and especially price, freezer iii would be a much better aio

as for custom loop just look for not overpriced brands (not ek), stuff like alphacool, bykski, barrow, etc. and you should be able to get a decent loop for under 300$ or even 200$

Soo, basically: I wanna do a custom loop in my H9 Elite since that would be the next step, but i don't got much money, so it would have to be under 500€, in the best case below 100, but i know that's gonna be impossible .-.

I will probably not gonna be able to buy the parts for a long time, but i wanna plan and look what i need to save up for.

Used parts are gonna be an option.

I am NOT a professional and I write before I think, so REFRESH THE PAGE!!!  Theres a 99% chance I've edited my post.

Also: Please enable XMP/D.O.H.C before asking why your ram is too slow.

water cooling is probably minim $1000 Canadian w/e that is for euros

$150 for res (you can get a cheap res  $20 thow but you will still need to buy a pump top... probly $50

$120-$150 for pump (dont recommend buying used i got hose on used ones before...)

$100-$500 gpu block $ i payed $700 for my gpu block for my 3090)thow its like 2 full blocks and for looks dont recommend you spend this amount) used around $100ish new $150+

$20 reservoir can be had for cheap

$60-$100 each rad

$30 fittings say $5 a fitting minim 6

$20 tubing say

$20 additive say

$5 distilled water

$5-$14 a fan

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

5 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

water cooling is probly minim $1000 can

used?

I mean, used blocks should be cheap, and pumps aren't THAT bad neither i think

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.eee8d8e4b37e109b15a24ebcab800347.png

Spoiler

image.png.518311ac1f9652f166ea50868deb32df.png

I am NOT a professional and I write before I think, so REFRESH THE PAGE!!!  Theres a 99% chance I've edited my post.

1 minute ago, Sanedish said:

so it would have to be under 500€, in the best case below 100, but i know that's gonna be impossible .-.

under 100€ is possible with very good performance if you go for a car radiator, ive tried building one myself but gave up in the middle of it but i will resume at some point just not with an evap rad so i dont have to deal with the oil or whatever other nonsense, and youll also need a plated waterblock or antifreeze so no galvanic corrosion cause it is mix metal assuming you get an aluminum rad which most car rads are, and i wouldnt really consider used rads cause too much effort trying to clean them and even then the internals might still be dirty, evap rad is the ideal used rad but again oil shenanigans cause its meant for an ac system and not water running through it

just that i assume you want aesthetics? in which case still possible but cooling performance will be dogshit if you go that cheap, though spend abit more in the 200-300€ range and you should be able to get a half decent loop

id reccomend cheaper alternative brands like bykski, barrow, etc. as youll save lots of money only paying 20-30$ for a waterblock instead of 100$ from a brand like ek and same goes for other stuff like the pumps, also thicker rads = better

otherwise i dont really have any reccomendations as i dont look at normal custom loops, mainly interested in dirt cheap high performance but very annoying to set up car radiator loops or even more painful to set up but subzero phase change

now i kinda wanna continue that project now that im reminded of it =p  just that im gonna have to buy a real car radiator or at the very least a block for the cpu alongside whatever janky custom mounting be it ln2 pot style or zipties

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

under 100€ is possible with very good performance if you go for a car radiator

i will certainly not put an fucking car radiator into my room 💀

Could be dope, but i just don't wanna go through that pain. I'll rather wait then.

Also: The H9 does not offer Pipe-Holes, meaning i'd HAVE to have the side panel off

3 minutes ago, Sanedish said:

used?

I mean, used blocks should be cheap, and pumps aren't THAT bad neither i think

gpu block ive seen use probly $100 but they maybe missing stuff so...🤷‍♂️

i dont recommend you using a $20 pump but you do you i guess...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

13 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

i dont recommend you using a $20 pump but you do you i guess...

Bro i don't like the smell of "Burning Home" mixed with "Burned Human"

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.1b8eef98b332e2abc4f13b75737bf13b.png

13 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

gpu block ive seen use probly $100 but they maybe missing stuff so...🤷‍♂️

Blud thinks these are made of actual platin 💀

I know most are gonna be 200+ though

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.5635f781426474d672f9b61961ce198a.png

A rad i've found:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.2c18e103a82f9e6cc7cbfe04f8821a05.png

image.png

4 minutes ago, Sanedish said:

Bro i don't like the smell of "Burning Home" mixed with "Burned Human"

Blud thinks these are made of actual platin 💀

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.5635f781426474d672f9b61961ce198a.png

$100 candian i dont no what that is for euros... so $100 canadian is like $70 euros so ya was right

Edited by thrasher_565

6 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

$100 candian i dont no what that is for euros... so $100 canadian is like $70 euros so ya was right

Aaaaah, that explains it

Just now, Sanedish said:

i will certainly not put an fucking car radiator into my room 💀

lmao

and yea now that you remind me of it this thing is gonna be a pain in the ass to setup just because the massive bed in my room, and im also gonna have to use a bucket as the res since its one of those submergable aquarium pumps, and the pipes i use are gonna be stiff asf, i think i remember why i gave up on the thing in the first place =p  but ill see if i can make an improved version later on that doesnt require an entire bucket as the res and is still cheap

on second thought maybe ill just look for old aircoolers suited for the 775/1366 oc shenanigans im doing since water isnt really gonna drop my temps that much unless i use a tec but those things are stupid inefficient and only good for chilling rams, even then im only looking at a measly -10 or -20c rather than the < -50c or even < -150c a phase change system can do depending on the type, or even just building some basic pot and using 99% ipa + dice for poor mans liquid nitrogen and -50c if i want it cheap and easy to setup

used waterblocks are definitely a thing but i think theyre kinda rare and usually pretty old so not the best performance aise, with a bykski block being 20$ i think id just go new, though you might be able to salvage an aio block off some dirt cheap broken aio, used gpu blocks depends, can be dirt cheap or expensive

pump res combo wise bykski and barrow make some pretty cheap ones

dunno about fittings and whatnot as i plastic weld my tubes with a solder iron and plastic from bottlecaps

24 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

water cooling is probly minim $1000 can

$150 for res (you can get get res thow but you will still need to buy a pump top...

$120-$150 for pump

$100-$500 gpu block

$ can be had for cheap say $20 cpu block

$60-$100 each rad

$fittings say $5 a fitting minim 6

Yeah, i guess 800€ is gonna be my goal there?

image.png.33735949f2121902075900e70e72daaf.png

1 minute ago, Sanedish said:

Yeah, i guess 800€ is gonna be my goal there?

image.png.33735949f2121902075900e70e72daaf.png

ya i guess.

5 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

used waterblocks are definitely a thing but i think theyre kinda rare and usually pretty old so not the best performance aise, with a bykski block being 20$ i think id just go new, though you might be able to salvage an aio block off some dirt cheap broken aio, used gpu blocks depends, can be dirt cheap or expensive

Nah, my AIO is dying like fuck and ebay is flooded with good blocks over where i live [i saw at least 3 neatly priced pretty new TechN AM4 blocks]

1 minute ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya i guess.

damn, that's gonna be like half the cost of my pc lol

Imma need to wait 'til i can sell my kidney and buy a 5090/6090 PC i guess....

Just now, Sanedish said:

damn, that's gonna be like half the cost of my pc lol

Imma need to wait 'til i can sell my kidney and buy a 5090/6090 PC i guess....

ya its coslty for not much gain if any like ocing like like 3% to maybe 15% if lucky...

but it looks cool thow...

buying an aio would be WAY CHEAPER...

1 hour ago, Sanedish said:

Nah, my AIO is dying like fuck and ebay is flooded with good blocks over where i live [i saw at least 3 neatly priced pretty new TechN AM4 blocks]

in that case sure that sounds pretty decent

though do keep in kind that you wont see any real performance gain over an aio as the gpus cooler will be more than enough to keep it cool and there isnt that much oc headroom on the cpu even with lower temps

custom loops are in that weird middle ground where theyd be pretty decent for very power hungry parts that can actually dissipate their heat but nowhere near as good as going subzero and aios like the liquid freezer iii getting pretty close in terms of cooling performance unless you are running direct die or something like that

afaik x58 would probably benifit from custom water since its an ancient platform that can actually dissipate its heat without taking the ihs off like 12th-14th gen, but its not as fun to destroy oc records set with ln2 with just pure air cooling =p  so imma stick to air till i get phase or build a pot

dont think ryzen 5000 would benifit that much from a custom loop since youll hit heavy diminishing returns even with lower temps

37 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

in that case sure that sounds pretty decent

though do keep in kind that you wont see any real performance gain over an aio as the gpus cooler will be more than enough to keep it cool and there isnt that much oc headroom on the cpu even with lower temps

custom loops are in that weird middle ground where theyd be pretty decent for very power hungry parts that can actually dissipate their heat but nowhere near as good as going subzero and aios like the liquid freezer iii getting pretty close in terms of cooling performance unless you are running direct die or something like that

afaik x58 would probably benifit from custom water since its an ancient platform that can actually dissipate its heat without taking the ihs off like 12th-14th gen, but its not as fun to destroy oc records set with ln2 with just pure air cooling =p  so imma stick to air till i get phase or build a pot

dont think ryzen 5000 would benifit that much from a custom loop since youll hit heavy diminishing returns even with lower temps

everyone and there mom oced on x58 and custom loop costs like $150(with a d5) to start so... and people sli witch cheap blower cards there were LOUD. a full gpu block cost $100. a hi end cpu block also cost $100 (so to was a thrmlright cooler att) but time has shown $20 blocks do a fam good job. the 7700k also was a beast too cool but beside that for the most part aio were closing in on the market as custom loop just got more and more expensive...

swiftech-h20-220-apex-ultima-plus_0298000000250251.jpg

Edited by thrasher_565

10 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya its coslty for not much gain if any like ocing like like 3% to maybe 15% if lucky...

but it looks cool thow...

buying an aio would be WAY CHEAPER...

ik, mine is dying and, not gonna lie, a custom loop would look dope in that case

8 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

everyone and there mom oced on x58 and custom loop costs like $150(with a d5) to start so... and people sli witch cheap blower cards there were LOUD. a full gpu block cost $100. a hi end cpu block also cost $100 (so to was a thrmlright cooler att) but time has shown $20 blocks do a fam good job. the 7700k also was a beast too cool but beside that for the most part aio were closing in on the market as custom loop just got more and more expensive...

Spoiler

swiftech-h20-220-apex-ultima-plus_0298000000250251.jpg

Thats dope, but featured literally nothing for this project.

I have already made a list of parts i wanna look into, sooooo.....

I know the 7700K was a hard to cool CPU, but has nothing to do with an R9 5950X, huh?#

And i feel like making this clear here:

I Don't want people telling me "mememe get an aio blabla its cheaper", i have an AIO [Kraken Z73, had an X73 before] and i don't want another one. I wanna do an custom loop because it's the last thing i wanna do to this PC for the next years.

I know, the 3080 is old, the 5950X is old, but i don't need totl components and can easily live with this for the next 2 to 6 years, maybe upgrading to a 3090 Ti/4070 Ti/RX 7900XTX when i have the money.

2 hours ago, Sanedish said:

Thats dope, but featured literally nothing for this project.

I have already made a list of parts i wanna look into, sooooo.....

I know the 7700K was a hard to cool CPU, but has nothing to do with an R9 5950X, huh?#

And i feel like making this clear here:

I know, the 3080 is old, the 5950X is old, but i don't need totl components and can easily live with this for the next 2 to 6 years, maybe upgrading to a 3090 Ti/4070 Ti/RX 7900XTX when i have the money.

i was not talking to you...

9 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

i was not talking to you...

My bad, i didn't see that you replied to another post.

On 3/29/2024 at 6:55 PM, Sanedish said:

i mean the kraken aios are pretty shit for performance and especially price, freezer iii would be a much better aio

as for custom loop just look for not overpriced brands (not ek), stuff like alphacool, bykski, barrow, etc. and you should be able to get a decent loop for under 300$ or even 200$