I forgot to make a video about this $150,000 server

During a round of spring cleaning we found a heavy box with an expensive surprise, Optane!

Woo weird flex but ok 🤑

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

10 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Optane

Never thought I’d hear that in 2024, but looks cool!

ill just start saving up for 420 years and I should be 5% of the way to getting that server!

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Not sure what this server might actually be used for? Here's a thought as a software architect: session state database.
There's a lot of ways to scale and load balance a site with authenticated sessions. For example, you can do sticky sessions or round-robin. With sticky sessions, the load balancer sets a cookie which directs the load balancer to direct that user to the same server on each subsequent request. That approach is fairly efficient due to the quicker routing. The problem with that is... if one of the servers in the pool goes down, everyone who was "stuck" to that server loses their session. If you go with round-robin load balancing, you can lose a server and still be fine, but then the problem is session state. How does each of the servers in the pool know the current state of this user's logged-in session? One of the options is a session state database. Upon user request to an application server, the application server requests the current session info from the database using the provided cookie token. The session info is extremely small, usually containing things like display name, permissions, and other minor persistent data, which would be perfect for Optane. This usage doesn't need top-speed sequential reads and writes. It would be much better to have super-low latency random read to hand out a few bytes of session data to pools of servers.
In a .NET web application, one of the options available is to use Microsoft SQL Server as a session cache. MSSQL itself can be setup to be highly redundant as well with failover clusters or other mitigation, so that this critical piece of the architecture is not a potential failure. Let's say you didn't even have ANY redundancy on this database server. It would STILL be a win to use Optane because of the non-volatile storage. The current alternate solution built into MSSQL is called "In-Memory OLTP", which is basically putting your database file on a ram disk, completely in memory. If the server crashes or you lose power, then you lost data and everyone's sessions just got reset and logged out. If you had Optane instead, those sessions could have been saved on persistent storage and everyone could resume right where they left off. Optane is also much cheaper than ram apparently, so it is a great use case for this situation comparatively.
Granted there's other options available, such as getting faster NVME drives or having deep pockets to buy tons of memory, but I think Optane would be a good fit for a mid-sized web application.

6TB of RAM, that's probably enough for a modded minecraft server

Not sure what to do with it? Send it to Jeff from Craft Computing; enterprise gear that's old enough to have cycled out of datacenters is his bread and butter! (And he's a Floatplane creator.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 3/28/2024 at 3:31 PM, Needfuldoer said:

Not sure what to do with it? Send it to Jeff from Craft Computing; enterprise gear that's old enough to have cycled out of datacenters is his bread and butter! (And he's a Floatplane creator.)

send him more of the failed ps5 chip nodes......

that almost broke him.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC