Can better antennas help wtith ping on pc?

Fat Cat11997
Go to solution Solved by Caroline,
49 minutes ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

I'm not willing to have a long ethernet cable connecting my pc to my router either.

Then no.

An USB nugget and a $500 "gaming network card" will have the same performance.

On my xbox I would get ~60-70 ping on this one server. However, after switching to pc gaming, my ping has gone up to 90-100 ping despite the pc being in the same place connected to the same internet. Will better antennas for my pc help with this? I'm not willing to have a long ethernet cable connecting my pc to my router either.

14 minutes ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

On my xbox I would get ~60-70 ping on this one server. However, after switching to pc gaming, my ping has gone up to 90-100 ping despite the pc being in the same place connected to the same internet. Will better antennas for my pc help with this? I'm not willing to have a long ethernet cable connecting my pc to my router either.

Were you connecting to the exact same server? I highly doubt it is an antenna issue.

Just now, Blue4130 said:

Were you connecting to the exact same server? I highly doubt it is an antenna issue.

yes

49 minutes ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

I'm not willing to have a long ethernet cable connecting my pc to my router either.

Then no.

An USB nugget and a $500 "gaming network card" will have the same performance.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

Try pinging the modem in your home. Most likely that ping time is below 1 ms (at least on cable). That's the only portion of ping you have control over.

The rest of the ping time will be the distance between your modem and the server you're connected to.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

13 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Try pinging the modem in your home. Most likely that ping time is below 1 ms (at least on cable). That's the only portion of ping you have control over.

The rest of the ping time will be the distance between your modem and the server you're connected to.

Do you think that maybe my dns is limiting me?

23 minutes ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

DNS does not impact ping.

DNS takes, for example, google.com and translates it to an IP address. That mapping is then cached locally on your machine for a period of time.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

14 minutes ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

DNS has absolutely nothing to do with ping.

If the DNS server you're using is slow, the initial lookup that resolves a host name to an IP might take more time. Which means initial connection to the game server might take longer than usual.

But once the IP has been resolved and a connection has been made, DNS is no longer involved in the communication at all. So the ping you're seeing while in game is completely independent from DNS.

If ping is higher than before, there are multiple possible explanations. Maybe the game server moved to a different location that is further away. Maybe the game server has more load than before. Maybe your ISP or any intermediate ISP changed their routing and there are now more hops between you and the server.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply