Help getting right equipment in a new house for 1GB fiber internet.

tsinghg

So, I bought a new house in Vancouver, it has ethernet wired to all the rooms and is wired for Telus fiber. 

It terminates into the garage with the Nokia ONT model: G-240G-A.

I found someone selling some Ubiquiti stuff for a very reasonable price. 
2 wifi 6 APs, 2 cameras,  8-port POE switch,  2nd gen cloud key, and Unifi security gateway

I have a few questions, (complete networking noob here)

1. Can I plug directly into ONT from the Unifi security gateway router, or do I need to go through the ISP(telus) provided modem/router thing?
2. all ethernet runs in the house are using CAT5e cable, is this bad?
3. Can I daisy chain from the 8-port switch to a non-manged switch to the room, where I have 2 computers, PS5, and a TV? Will it affect internet speed, if I am using multiple of these at the same time.

Here is the layout: Does this make sense ? or am I missing something?
image.png.d513c99a6f01aa090cad8efccaf3135f.png

1 hour ago, tsinghg said:

I have a few questions, (complete networking noob here)

1. Can I plug directly into ONT from the Unifi security gateway router, or do I need to go through the ISP(telus) provided modem/router thing?
2. all ethernet runs in the house are using CAT5e cable, is this bad?
3. Can I daisy chain from the 8-port switch to a non-manged switch to the room, where I have 2 computers, PS5, and a TV? Will it affect internet speed, if I am using multiple of these at the same time.

1. Mine makes me go through the Modem/router, but I've heard of some ISPs that either allow you to go through the ONT, or that can easily be tricked to allow you to bypass the default router.

2. It's not exactly future-proof, but it's not bad. You will easily get gigabit and most likely could easily get 2.5 gig running through Cat5e up to 100 meters.

3. It's not ideal to daisy-chain switches, but I think you can get away with it here. You will be limiting everything on the 5-port switch by making them share a 1 gig connection to the 8 port switch, but your internet is also just a 1 gig connection, so it won't really affect your internet speed.

9 hours ago, tsinghg said:

Can I plug directly into ONT from the Unifi security gateway router, or do I need to go through the ISP(telus) provided modem/router thing?

Call Telus and find out. Here in the US Ive seen Fiber deployed two ways. Either they provide a Combo ONT/Router and its one box and you have to use theirs. OR they provide a standard ONT with the option to rent/buy a router and of course you can use your own.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 hours ago, NikolakiH said:

3. It's not ideal to daisy-chain switches, but I think you can get away with it here. You will be limiting everything on the 5-port switch by making them share a 1 gig connection to the 8 port switch, but your internet is also just a 1 gig connection, so it won't really affect your internet speed.

Generally speaking when people recommend against daisy-chaining switches they mean each switch should be connected to the main switch rather than daisy-chaining them off each other.  Having a main core switch and running other switches off that is perfectly normal and the right way to do it, if its impractical to just have a single big switch and run all devices back to it.

You just have to be aware that all devices on each extra switch is sharing a link back to the main switch, so if you are ever moving files between devices, you ideally want those to be on the same switch so its not causing a bottleneck that may impact the bandwidth of the other devices on that switch.

The way you generally limit that being an issue is having your main switch be faster (2.5Gbit or 10Gbit) and each extra switch having 2.5Gbit or 10Gbit uplink back to that main switch.  But that's mostly an issue if you have a NAS on the main switch and don't want accessing that from the other switches to slow down the Internet on other devices on those switches.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7