Can GPU disable options in the OSD Menu of the monitor?

IndianaIT

Hello everyone, 

I have a Phillips 499P9 32:9 5120x1440p monitor.

For gaming I like to have a 2560x1440p pillarbox in the middle.
The monitor has "Picture Format" option , in its OSD Menu, that allows to force aspect ratio when the game or GPU settings do not cooperate.

I recently replaced my old GTX1070 for AMD RX6800 and the option, while still being there, is inactive and cannot be changed or even selected.

Can someone please advise how or why this happens? It never happened with any other monitor or GPU previously.

Thank you.

It may depend on the video cable used.

Also see the color format and color space used by the video card, the monitor may only have some functions enabled if it gets RGB, not something else.

In AMD control center, you have display settings  in Gaming > Display  :

For example in picture below on monitor with HDMI, I can set the pixel format to something else, not RGB 4:4:4 Full (normal, standard).

You could also play there with GPU scaling and Scaling mode and optionally integer scaling (great for pixel art games)  - the video card will keep the resolution the one native to your monitor, but scale the image and center it as you wish

image.thumb.png.9ed92fd5efbdb0bd70cc0e6ff43c2c54.png

No, it can't. At least not directly. However, the monitor may be disabling certain options depending on the type of signal it receives from the GPU.

The monitor likely disables the option because the GPU still sends a 5120x1440p image. You'd likely need to run in the game in full screen mode with the desired resolution, so that the monitor gets the smaller image and allows you to select its upscaling options.

If you open the OSD, you should probably have an information tab or similar that shows you what type of resolution the monitor gets. If that still shows the full resolution, that would explain why you can't scale using the monitor.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

On 3/24/2024 at 8:22 PM, Eigenvektor said:

No, it can't. At least not directly. However, the monitor may be disabling certain options depending on the type of signal it receives from the GPU.

The monitor likely disables the option because the GPU still sends a 5120x1440p image. You'd likely need to run in the game in full screen mode with the desired resolution, so that the monitor gets the smaller image and allows you to select its upscaling options.

If you open the OSD, you should probably have an information tab or similar that shows you what type of resolution the monitor gets. If that still shows the full resolution, that would explain why you can't scale using the monitor.

I tried to reinstall windows and also linux (just to see if it is not a windows thing).

It is not.

When I'm in BIOS or software rendering or even have laptop with an AMD APU connected through USBC, I have options like: Widescreen, 16:9 or 1:1 available in the monitor menu. The moment the RX6800 kicks in, the option gets disabled and fixed to widescreen.
Frankly, right now I'm probably not even really that much caring about the gaming part of this problem, more about what the hell is happening here. 🙂

Also I observed that any resolution below 2560x1440p scales properly (probably through the driver settings) but anything above 2560x1440p inclusive gets stretched irrespective of the driver settings.

As for gaming, I set it to borderless window and kill explorer.exe to not see the desktop.

Idk about the AMD driver, but in the Nvidia driver settings there is a setting where you can leave the scaling to either the GPU or display. If there is something similar in the AMD settings, set it to display scaling.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.