Please leave my walled garden alone

5 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

image.jpeg.911e394f12c8bf0f35a26edfc6434bc8.jpeg

Seriously, this is the worst way of arguing for change, right next to "This doesn't solve the problem 100%, so we shouldn't even try". It's a fallacious cudgel used to silence criticism.

As for the topic, are you unaware that walls tend to come with windows and doors? You can stay in your garden all you like, but some of us like to leave Hotel California eventually. Buying expensive tech and not being able to fully use it unless you also buy additional expensive tech is never acceptable.

I don't think I said anything about children, my argument is based on priorities, which I don't think is a logical fallacy.

You seem to be distorting my arguments without actually refuting them. This isn't a matter of the problem isn't being perfectly solved, but questioning why we are trying to solve this problem now instead of more important issues.

Americans are dying because the healthcare system is bad, and some people seem to think smartphones are a priority over people dying. 

It's not nice to insult people and imply they are ignorant of windows and doors. 

Are you aware that no one forces anyone to buy an iPhone and there are alternative options?  NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO STAY.  If you don't like it leave. 

So you are going to dispute the laws that prohibit excessive speed on the highway?  If you car can go 100 MPH that stupid sign shouldn't prevent you from going as fast as your car can go!  Because that is the logical argument you have presented. 

24 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

I don't think I said anything about children, my argument is based on priorities, which I don't think is a logical fallacy.

It quite literally is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies#:~:text=Fallacy of relative privation

I'm pointing out this fact (again, since @LAwLz already did) because you keep doing it. You posit that because there are worse problems facing us right now, we shouldn't be bothered by this one. My comment has nothing to do with children. You are way too literal-minded here and I suggest you start reading between the lines a bit. Otherwise, you'll never understand nuanced arguments.

Are you aware that no one forces anyone to buy an iPhone and there are alternative options?  NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO STAY.  If you don't like it leave. 

First off, I'm literally being forced by my employer to carry around an iPhone, so your objection already flies out of the window.

But even then, even if I never had to touch a single Apple device, I can still complain about Apple's behavior on behalf of people who like and buy their products, simply for wanting them to have more options open to them. You don't get to tell me that I can't voice my opinion about something that doesn't concern me.

Third, and this is where Linus ostensibly is affected: If someone buys AirPods, they should get to use them to their full extent regardless of if they own an iPhone or not. Either make it impossible to use them at all without an iOS device or make it fully functional without any device, no middle ground. Maybe AirPods are the best damn in-ear headphones on the market for that price, I wouldn't know. But if they are and someone buys them without owning an iPhone, not having the full functionality is unacceptable. Gatekeeping functionality behind the purchase of another expensive device is royal bullshittery.

So you are going to dispute the laws that prohibit excessive speed on the highway?  If you car can go 100 MPH that stupid sign shouldn't prevent you from going as fast as your car can go!  Because that is the logical argument you have presented. 

No it isn't. You're building a straw man. You're just full of fallacies.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

On 3/24/2024 at 7:09 AM, Apple.fanboy said:

Apple’s dedication to user data privacy and security is another reason why I appreciate their philosophy. Nothing is un-hackable, but Apple does a much better job of protecting their customers than windows or android ever has.

Apple still steals data. They just don't do it as much as Google does. 

Plus, Google makes the whole "we like privacy" pitch as well, and they still steal TONS of data.

If Apple's accessories become an open garden, you will still have the choice of staying in the garden, it just won't have a gate around it anymore. Apple opening up to allowing other companies will not change how you and other Apple enthusiasts will interact with their Apple products in most ways (with the exception being stuff like sideloading on the iPhone). 

I do use plenty of Apple products. I'm not just one of those people who owns a set of Airpods and gets a say in the conversation; I use a 12-year-old MacBook for school on occassion, I daily a Series 0 Apple Watch, and I daily a second generation iPhone SE. I'm also not blind to the fact that Apple does have a TON of very anti-consumer practices. Just because of the fact of it being a walled garden making some users' experiences better does not mean that the garden should still be walled.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

how tf did this thread went from "macbooks suck" to "americans are dying because the healthcare is a scam" in one page?

Sure, macbooks suck but they suck less than Windows laptops. Now, I can say this because I use Linux, that means my computer sucks twice as much as macbooks and windows combined.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

28 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Sure, macbooks suck but they suck less than Windows laptops. Now, I can say this because I use Linux, that means my computer sucks twice as much as macbooks and windows combined.

Oh Carol... all I can say is, a Macbook sucks A LOT more than a Zenbook OLED.

Go figure.

35 minutes ago, Caroline said:

how tf did this thread went from "macbooks suck" to "americans are dying because the healthcare is a scam" in one page?

It's like someone who gets stopped by the police for speeding then complains that cops should be solving murders instead.

Anyway, it's probably all Tim Apple's fault.

On 3/24/2024 at 12:09 PM, Apple.fanboy said:

Apple’s dedication to user data privacy and security is another reason why I appreciate their philosophy.

image.png.5d517984070a0b3e05df6330b7b9d6bf.png

🤡

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

i think the funniest part, is if you dont agree with linuses outlook on apple, maybe dont watch the videos about apple, also apple isnt all cupcakes and rainbows, i had an iphone 10 dropped it and needed a new screen, spent almost 600 cause i didnt know any better, and my straight from and installed by apple screen, disabled face id, and when i told there support this, all the sudden my phone was no longer servicable, well great down 600 and cant even use the only feature i upgraded for.  THUMBS UP APPLE!!

9 hours ago, Motifator said:

Oh Carol... all I can say is, a Macbook sucks A LOT more than a Zenbook OLED.

Go figure.

By what measurement?

After using Windows laptops for literally decades I bought an Apple Silicon MacBook Pro and I wouldn’t go back for a portable machine. The MacBook gets within spitting-distance of advertised battery life, it’s wild how no Windows laptop ever seems to do that. I never worry about some proprietary hardware (usually video) driver wrecking my system and having to do a restore or waste an hour of my day getting it back working. The MacBook is thin, it’s quiet, has plenty of power and can VM routine software in any OS I could need to, the WiFi is excellent, and with the shitstorm of Windows Modern Standby and the fact that many laptop manufacturers have removed deeper sleep states, I know my laptop will have a charge when I get it out of the case.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

1 hour ago, atxcyclist said:

By what measurement?

After using Windows laptops for literally decades I bought an Apple Silicon MacBook Pro and I wouldn’t go back for a portable machine. The MacBook gets within spitting-distance of advertised battery life, it’s wild how no Windows laptop ever seems to do that. I never worry about some proprietary hardware (usually video) driver wrecking my system and having to do a restore or waste an hour of my day getting it back working. The MacBook is thin, it’s quiet, has plenty of power and can VM routine software in any OS I could need to, the WiFi is excellent, and with the shitstorm of Windows Modern Standby and the fact that many laptop manufacturers have removed deeper sleep states, I know my laptop will have a charge when I get it out of the cas

Every measurement. Even if you disregard all the stereotype comments, modern 120 Hz Zenbook OLED will leave that shitter in the dust. You're on a hardware forum with these sentiments, get real.

27 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Every measurement. Even if you disregard all the stereotype comments, modern 120 Hz Zenbook OLED will leave that shitter in the dust. You're on a hardware forum with these sentiments, get real.

I’ve been building Windows gaming machines since the late-90’s, but gaming isn’t the only measure of what a computer does. I don’t care if my workstation at my office has 120hz OLED gaming performance, just like I don’t care if my laptop does; I don’t game on either of them so it’s irrelevant.

You’re not the arbiter of what all people use computers for, in the case of someone looking to put a laptop on a table for hours on end with little fuss, an Apple Silicon MacBook will absolutely dominate a modern Windows machine for the reasons I listed above. 

You squawking about this being a hardware forum…as if people don’t have different hardware requirements for different types of work. The person that needs to ‘get real’ here, is you.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

On 3/24/2024 at 12:09 PM, Apple.fanboy said:

Hello Mr.Techtips and friends. I am here today to make an appeal. I know exactly how this post is going to be treated by people here but I want to say it anyways. Please stop advocating for Apple to make their accessories compatible with any hardware. Also please stop advocating for 3rd party app stores on iOS. I spent the first 31 years of my life using windows and android and hating on apple. I finally decided to learn why apple does what they do. Their philosophy and approach to user experience intrigued me. I bought an iphone, it was a great experience compared to my S20 Ultra. I bought an apple watch, also a great experience compared to my galaxy watch. I bought a m1 macbook, after learning how to navigate the os, it too was a great experience compared to windows. Homepods, home kit devices, apple tv. The way that all this stuff works together and creates a user experience where the hardware gets out of your way as much as possible is quite enjoyable. Apple’s dedication to user data privacy and security is another reason why I appreciate their philosophy. Nothing is un-hackable, but Apple does a much better job of protecting their customers than windows or android ever has. You think by advocating for cross platform compatibility of accessories you’re freeing people from being locked into Apple’s eco system, you’re not. You’re just ripping down the gate on our garden. We aren’t trapped in the garden we chose it, it’s really nice here. If people want to leave and go to android or windows they are free to do so. The only way that we are trapped is that there is not a better experience than apple. By advocating that Apple change their approach to accessories and 3rd party app stores you are asking them to compromise the security and experience their customers expect from apple. That could potentially lead to a loss in brand trust which is a big part of what makes apple, apple, customer trust. I’ll beat you to the punch and call myself a boot licker, apple fanboy, shill, tech illiterate, etc. If you aren’t a user of apple devices you have no say in how the company should operate. 🫡✌️ 

This is called “Stockholm Syndrome”.

After looking whole thread of this topic.

Me 🛌

Single issue i have here is why are we fighting among us instead fighting against criminals?

I mean if apple has better security why are they keeping to himself instead educating others to secure their phones and helping fighting againts criminals who abuse systems?

Why are people so obsessed of keeping everything to himself and let others suffer?

At this point in my sight there are evil companies and their actions i won't simply forgive and forget and thanks to their actions. I'll never buy their hardware nor software till I'm in grave.

So basically blacklisted ignored and yes it's ruined everything.

You want to stay in your little hole, sure i don't care nor shall i in the future.

At this point i lost interest and gave up trying services so I'll get something myself and be happy that way.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

Hello Mr.Techtips and friends. I am here today to make an appeal. I know exactly how this post is going to be treated by people here but I want to say it anyways. Please stop advocating for Apple to make their accessories compatible with any hardware. Also please stop advocating for 3rd party app stores on iOS. I spent the first 31 years of my life using windows and android and hating on apple. I finally decided to learn why apple does what they do. Their philosophy and approach to user experience intrigued me. I bought an iphone, it was a great experience compared to my S20 Ultra. I bought an apple watch, also a great experience compared to my galaxy watch. I bought a m1 macbook, after learning how to navigate the os, it too was a great experience compared to windows. Homepods, home kit devices, apple tv. The way that all this stuff works together and creates a user experience where the hardware gets out of your way as much as possible is quite enjoyable. Apple’s dedication to user data privacy and security is another reason why I appreciate their philosophy. Nothing is un-hackable, but Apple does a much better job of protecting their customers than windows or android ever has. You think by advocating for cross platform compatibility of accessories you’re freeing people from being locked into Apple’s eco system, you’re not. You’re just ripping down the gate on our garden. We aren’t trapped in the garden we chose it, it’s really nice here. If people want to leave and go to android or windows they are free to do so. The only way that we are trapped is that there is not a better experience than apple. By advocating that Apple change their approach to accessories and 3rd party app stores you are asking them to compromise the security and experience their customers expect from apple. That could potentially lead to a loss in brand trust which is a big part of what makes apple, apple, customer trust. I’ll beat you to the punch and call myself a boot licker, apple fanboy, shill, tech illiterate, etc. If you aren’t a user of apple devices you have no say in how the company should operate. 🫡✌️ 

I think for the most part apple does do things well. However once you want to do anything outside the apple way, you are sorta SOL. I think having a third party store won't diminish trust, as most people on android still the google play store to get there apps.

I rarely if ever here I don't trust android because its open, its that they don't trust Google (which has nothing to do with openness, but how they run as a company)

As an example where being open would help, I have an odd apple issue where I use siri to start a timer on my homepod that my wife is the owner. If I ask my phone to check the timer, my phone states there are no running timers. But if I ask the homepod, it tells me how long is left. If it was more open I could code up a solution on my PC to fix this issue. But nope, since I don't have a mac I'm sorta SOL.

Hi friend, I actually agree decently with the stuff you say. I like how everything works together and how Apple devices just work sometimes. But the main thing is that opening the ecosystem is a choice for you. You don't have to use a 3rd party app store if you don't want too.

Additionally, I think us iPhone users are happy in our ignorance, GoldPickaxe and NSO group spyware are super easy to infect iOS devices with. We are just lucky that they wouldn't target the majority of us. Just high profile targets. There are tons of things that we just don't know and we feel secure through obscurity. But believe me there are probably hundreds of flaws just waiting to be discovered. Just like the recent flaw in the DMP that was discovered.

Additionally, the main thing I hate about Apple despite using a Mac and iPhone is that they control things to the extreme. They just decided they didn't want to allow game streaming on their store at all so they made it arbitrarily hard for microsoft and nvidia to publish their apps. Recently the removed Epic Games developer account before reinstating it because they had gained their ire. 

They also make it extremely difficult to repair their devices, if I want to repair my screen with a new one I should be able too. They claim to be green but I can't change my ssd or ram (in my mac) if it dies of I want to upgrade. I need to throwaway and buy another. That is insane, they aren't the only ones of course but still.

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆\(ᵔ◡ᵔ)/⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

On 3/24/2024 at 11:09 AM, Apple.fanboy said:

If you aren’t a user of apple devices you have no say in how the company should operate.

When apple starts blaming non apple products for things that arent androids fault i think we do, theres absolutely no way apple couldnt have figured this out. Have your walled garden but dont throw shit over that wall.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-blames-technical-limitations-for-Apple-Watch-Android-support-failure-internal-company-emails-disagree.816395.0.html

Bah, I'm sick and tired of arguing with those fragile souls who wish to be locked up in their walled ecosystem. My bud has always expounded on the benefits of getting an iPhone (better resale value, better support, just work trope, etc), when I put it to him that since he thinks so highly of iPhones and Apple in general, why does he NOT have an iPhone instead of Samsung that he usually buys (he's presently using a Flip3 and an S23 Ultra, his wife uses an iPhone).  He usually change the subject after this....😉

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

On 3/24/2024 at 4:09 AM, Apple.fanboy said:

I’ll beat you to the punch and call myself a boot licker, apple fanboy, shill, tech illiterate, etc. If you aren’t a user of apple devices you have no say in how the company should operate. 

you have zero say in how a company operates unless you are 

A) a significant shareholder who owned controlling/voting shares of the company

B) an officer of the company and even then, need to be upper level management, generally a c suite.

C) anti trust government agency

so you see? you have less of a say than even Linus who probably owns several Apple stocks giving him a vote in annual shareholder meetings, either directly or indirectly through mutal funds and brokerage.  

if you want a say in how a company does its business, buy 500 billion worth of apple stocks, vote out the board of directors and put yourself in charge as the CEO. easy eh? 

edit: actually you need 1.34 trillions worth of apple stocks since apple right now sits at 2.68 trillion market cap. who wants to be a trillionare?!!

Sudo make me a sandwich 

120Hz screen to watch youtube, emails and spreadsheets TOPKEK get real. Not every computer has to be a "gAeMiNg ComPuTtaH" fellas, and what's with gaming laptops anyway? ugh, they can't do a single thing right, poor battery life so has to be constantly plugged in, defeating the whole point of a laptop, small screen so can't see crap no matter how high the placebo resolution is (even 1080p is overkill for a screen that size), constantly overheating and thermal throttling so you get piss poor performance and framerates that sink lower than your grades.

If you want vidya you get a desktop, and if you want portability you get a laptop, can't have both.

Apple is super closed but it's also almost idiot-proof, remember the devices are made for the kind of customer that call the internet "the wifi". Apparently the Apple store is much more restrictive when it comes to allowing random crap on their site, unlike Google's where you can download 400 types of malware in under 30 minutes by getting "free games" or "free office", heh.

Anyho remember I don't use smartphones, google or apple so I'm completely unbiased when it comes to this.

busy.jpg.e3f40c6e0016fef6685bde46e8831ce9.jpg

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

Hi friend, I actually agree decently with the stuff you say. I like how everything works together and how Apple devices just work sometimes. But the main thing is that opening the ecosystem is a choice for you. You don't have to use a 3rd party app store if you don't want too.

Additionally, I think us iPhone users are happy in our ignorance, GoldPickaxe and NSO group spyware are super easy to infect iOS devices with. We are just lucky that they wouldn't target the majority of us. Just high profile targets. There are tons of things that we just don't know and we feel secure through obscurity. But believe me there are probably hundreds of flaws just waiting to be discovered. Just like the recent flaw in the DMP that was discovered.

Additionally, the main thing I hate about Apple despite using a Mac and iPhone is that they control things to the extreme. They just decided they didn't want to allow game streaming on their store at all so they made it arbitrarily hard for microsoft and nvidia to publish their apps. Recently the removed Epic Games developer account before reinstating it because they had gained their ire. 

They also make it extremely difficult to repair their devices, if I want to repair my screen with a new one I should be able too. They claim to be green but I can't change my ssd or ram (in my mac) if it dies of I want to upgrade. I need to throwaway and buy another. That is insane, they aren't the only ones of course but still.

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆\(ᵔ◡ᵔ)/⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

I can't disagree that the apple experience is great. If you want it that way, great! Nothing is wrong with things working together really well and even better than it would working with 3rd party stuff. But not having any options but paying apple more money if you don't have enough of their stuff is why I don't buy apple. Once it changes, I'll happily give them my money. 

I'm usually as lost as you are

I’ll beat you to the punch and call myself a boot licker, apple fanboy, shill, tech illiterate, etc. If you aren’t a user of apple devices you have no say in how the company should operate. 🫡✌️ 

As someone who had to spend several hours troubleshooting and fixing several of my cousins apple devices, I think I qualify enough to say I'm an apple user to some extent. 

This entire argument generally boils down to "I like thing and I think thing is better than other things, so stop saying thing bad" 

Which isn't really a great argument, but it's an argument everyone makes so I think I can forgive it. Either way, nah. If an apple device could play all the games my windows machine did, then maybe I'd consider the swap, but since they don't I'll stick to what I have. I also really dislike the anti-consumer mentality Apple has when it comes to repair, and the lack of modularity. To each their own, but I take pride in working on my electronics, and Apple just makes it much more difficult than it should be. 

On 3/27/2024 at 11:38 PM, Caroline said:

120Hz screen to watch youtube, emails and spreadsheets TOPKEK get real. Not every computer has to be a "gAeMiNg ComPuTtaH" fellas, and what's with gaming laptops anyway? ugh, they can't do a single thing right, poor battery life so has to be constantly plugged in, defeating the whole point of a laptop, small screen so can't see crap no matter how high the placebo resolution is (even 1080p is overkill for a screen that size), constantly overheating and thermal throttling so you get piss poor performance and framerates that sink lower than your grades.

If you want vidya you get a desktop, and if you want portability you get a laptop, can't have both.

Apple is super closed but it's also almost idiot-proof, remember the devices are made for the kind of customer that call the internet "the wifi". Apparently the Apple store is much more restrictive when it comes to allowing random crap on their site, unlike Google's where you can download 400 types of malware in under 30 minutes by getting "free games" or "free office", heh.

Anyho remember I don't use smartphones, google or apple so I'm completely unbiased when it comes to this.

busy.jpg.e3f40c6e0016fef6685bde46e8831ce9.jpg

I agree with you on some things, mainly that gaming laptops can kind of suck. That said, 120 Hz is more of a quality of life thing than a gaming exclusive feature (see: every modern flagship smartphone). It just makes displays smoother in general. Also, while not everything has to be a gaming laptop, they do have their niches primarily as the cheapest way to get portable and performant hardware in an easy formfactor for companies and students. Yes, a 4060 mobile is not as good as a 4060, but for most productivity software, the idea is to have any discrete GPU at all, especially things like CAD or photo editing or art. To Apple's credit, they perform fairly well in this regard, especially considering efficiency. However, they still lack the niceties of a Windows laptop for productivity to include reasonable system configurations, decent thermal solutions, and broad software support. They also come at a premium. Windows laptops are a broad spectrum that you can choose your preferred balance of build quality and performance within. I cannot say the same for Apple, as they essentially only have premium machines with limited configurations.

In terms of the high end gaming laptops--the ones that weigh a ridiculous amount and essentially need to be plugged in--they still have value as a desktop replacement for college students and people that travel a lot. They are also the ones I have seen in industry, especially the DoD, as a method of getting performant hardware in a single package. You do not have to worry about security issues with peripherals because they are included in the laptop form factor. They have their purpose--one that Apple doesn't have an answer for, as generally they prefer efficiency whereas these laptops and customers prioritize performance. There are other issues as well. Apple hardware is not easily removable. You have to desolder the network chip as opposed to removing the wireless card. You cannot remove the storage for destruction.

There are several reasons for gaming laptops to exist, and they obviously have demand, you're just not one of their customers. I'm not trying to hate on Apple necessarily as they offer a very good word processing and creativity solution. That said, that does not make their laptops suited for all purposes, and Windows and Linux machines will always have advantages over Apple in certain use cases due to both the things that make their laptops great and the ways that Apple purposefully cripples their computers to maintain a repair monopoly.