Windows on ARM (torrents, word, Whatsapp, file sharing, VLC)

Hi. 

Looking into getting a laptop. 

I'm a "light" user (no games or crazy software, I am mostly online), but I do have some "niche" usages. 

I use torrents, I use VLC or actually MPC-HC, I use WhatsApp (don't mind the web version but the "native" one is ok as well). 

What else? 

I sometimes share files inside my local network between my Android box and my laptop using the SMB protocol (windows) to stream. 

I think that's about it. 

Was wondering if an ARM based laptop running windows 10 or 11 can suffice for me needs. If these apps are even working on ARM WINDOWS. 

Thanks a lot. 

VLC has a windows for ARM version in the windows store.

Torrex is a torrent software that exist for ARM. Also in the windows store.

There does not appear to be a whatsapp ARM app. Only web based one.

... Overall, unless the cost is heavily discounted, I would avoid an ARM based Windows computer.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Unless you have a specific reason for going with ARM i dont see why you're seaking it out. For your workload its probably better to go with an intel chip so that you have wide compatiblity for all the small little tasks that you have that arent demanding. ARM is probably good for 95% of the things you want but theres really no advantage to ARM at the moment. especially since the new Qualcomme S1 chips should come out at the end of the year that are supposed to revolutionalize windows on ARM.

Thank you guys for the answers. 

I was thinking lighter weight, way better battery life, better always on device. These are not that significant? 

For example the LG gram is very light. i dont think you're going to find an ARM device thats anything lighter than that. You have to be aware that windows laptop battery can range anywhere from 4 hours to 20 hours, you really have to pick the right one. If you pick a power hungry CPU (intel 10th/11th gen are rather power hungry) the battery is obviously gonna be less. 
Not sure what you mean by always on. Lets try not to  leave laptops always on and always plugged into the wall. that will destroy the battery in anydevice regardless of whats powering it.

1 hour ago, Mayday793 said:

Not sure what you mean by always on. Lets try not to  leave laptops always on and always plugged into the wall. that will destroy the battery in anydevice regardless of whats powering it.

And regardless of device, unless the firmware has a charging profile that limits to 50% for kiosk use for example, those batteries are going to balloon in a matter of months. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580