PSA: If you used a Windows 7/8 key to upgrade to Windows 10/11, changing hardware could deactivate it now

I bought an official copy of Windows 7 in 2009, and I took the free upgrade to Windows 10 in 2016.

When I built a new PC in 2017 I was still able to use my Windows 7 key to activate a clean install of Windows 10 on that, and last year I took the free upgrade from Windows 10 to 11. I did a clean install from a USB drive and it activated without me even needing to type in a product key because it recognised the hardware, even though I had changed several parts since I built the PC.

It was even still working since I upgraded my GPU to a 7800XT in January. However, I was having persistent problems with my motherboard recognising the new card at boot time, so I ended up re-flashing the BIOS (same version) to see if that would help, and it did. The thing posts successfully every time now. Yay.

Except that apparently was enough to qualify as a hardware change, and I came home yesterday to find I had the dreaded "Activate Windows" watermark and limited features. Long story short, after trying all the usual stuff I called Microsoft to try and get them to activate it and they informed me that the Windows 7 "loophole" was finally closed last year and I'd have to buy a new license as mine will not cover any more hardware changes. I haven't personally tried installing Windows 7 and seeing if it's still possible to do the upgrade path that way, but from what I've seen online, that won't work either.

Just wanted to share in case other people missed the news like I had.

Well, I have an AMD GPU now so t might finally be time to main Linux on my desktop.

Hmmm, I'm still using my 2014 Win8 license, upgraded to 10 in 2019 (I'm a late adopter of new MS bugs..), still working, latest change was my GPU 1 year ago but I don't think it counts, only CPU/RAM/Board do

Yet I regularly update my BIOS (last time maybe 3 months ago) and had no issue...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Yeah, I ran into had that issue.

But, it didn't "deactivate" it when I went to do a clean install of Windows 10 and then tried Windows 11 afterward.

I've had a Pro license upgrading from a retail copy of Windows 7 Ultimate (cost me nearly $400 CAD way back then) for years, through multiple clean installs.

They downgraded it to Home.

Weird thing though, is if I upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10 pro, it gave me a windows 11 pro license... But if I tried to do a clean install, I could only activate Home. I tested it out by restoring full OS backups a few times.

So.... I just went and bought a cheap $10 oem key on a shady site for clean installs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Onions said:

I bought an official copy of Windows 7 in 2009, and I took the free upgrade to Windows 10 in 2016.

Well, I have an AMD GPU now so t might finally be time to main Linux on my desktop.

So your OS key that you bought 15 years ago (and 3 full versions old) had the audacity to not carry over to new hardware, and for that you're switching to Linux? Seems a bit petty, but you do you.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

22 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

So your OS key that you bought 15 years ago (and 3 full versions old) had the audacity to not carry over to new hardware, and for that you're switching to Linux? Seems a bit petty, but you do you.

Lmao. I can't imagine how you can be this offended by the thought of a stranger on the internet saying they don't want to give more money to one of the world's richest corporations.

Yeah, it's cool that I got 15 years out of my Windows 7 purchase, but the OS I originally paid for didn't make money off me by harvesting my data or try to force me to lock MY software on MY machine to a cloud account. Since I can't avoid these things even if I pay full price for a new license, yes I will be exploring the alternatives first, thank you very much.

You can "stick it to the man" by using W11 but not activating. That way they don't get money, but you still get the product with minor downside. Depending on what software you need,that seems less hassle than using Linux unless you have other reasons for Linux 

I had carried over two W7 pro licenses I bought as a student for cheap. They worked all the way till now on up to 4 PCs concurrently with W11. So I sure got my money's worth. If I ever need to reinstall and get the same issue you had, I go the unactivated route first. If that isn't satisfactory, I decide then. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

4 hours ago, Onions said:

It was even still working since I upgraded my GPU to a 7800XT in January. However, I was having persistent problems with my motherboard recognising the new card at boot time, so I ended up re-flashing the BIOS (same version) to see if that would help, and it did. The thing posts successfully every time now. Yay.

Except that apparently was enough to qualify as a hardware change, and I came home yesterday to find I had the dreaded "Activate Windows" watermark and limited features. Long story short, after trying all the usual stuff I called Microsoft to try and get them to activate it and they informed me that the Windows 7 "loophole" was finally closed last year and I'd have to buy a new license as mine will not cover any more hardware changes. I haven't personally tried installing Windows 7 and seeing if it's still possible to do the upgrade path that way, but from what I've seen online, that won't work either.

Did you reinstall after you flashed the bios?

I'd personally try arguing with the rep that the activation was correct originally and no hardware changes since they last validated and accepted the license.  Then say they are welcome to terminate the license but then you request that they compensate you for the invalidation of a license.

After all, their EULA here [https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/UseTerms/Retail/Windows/11/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_11_English.htm] states

4.      Transfer. The provisions of this section do not apply if you acquired the software in Germany or in any of the countries listed on this site https://aka.ms/transfer, in which case any transfer of the software to a third party, and the right to use it, must comply with applicable law.

a.      Software preinstalled on device. If you acquired the software preinstalled on a device (and also if you upgraded from software preinstalled on a device), you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device. The transfer must include the software and, if provided with the device, an authentic Windows label including the product key. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.

b.      Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

5.      Authorized Software and Activation. You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method. When you connect to the Internet while using the software, the software will automatically contact Microsoft or its affiliate to conduct activation to associate it with a certain device. You can also activate the software manually by Internet or telephone. In either case, transmission of certain information will occur, and Internet, telephone and SMS service charges may apply. During activation (or reactivation that may be triggered by changes to your device’s components), the software may determine that the installed instance of the software is counterfeit, improperly licensed or includes unauthorized changes. If activation fails, the software will attempt to repair itself by replacing any tampered Microsoft software with genuine Microsoft software. You may also receive reminders to obtain a proper license for the software. Successful activation does not confirm that the software is genuine or properly licensed. You may not bypass or circumvent activation. To help determine if your software is genuine and whether you are properly licensed, see https://aka.ms/genuine. Certain updates, support, and other services might be offered only to users of genuine Microsoft software.

So in the first bolded part you aren't in violation.

The number 5, I would argue that the use of the free-upgrade path didn't stipulate that you couldn't switch hardware.  Specifically the free-upgrade would be Microsoft granting the license to be used for such, and if on your old hardware it worked [and if they admit the old hardware was a legal licensed copy of W11], then you are merely enacting clause 4b and specifically the hardware itself hadn't changed only the firmware.

Anyways the whole, not a lawyer thing...just my 2 cents.  I wouldn't be too peeved about it though given that it was something purchased 16 years ago though...just I would try talking to giving me a license/exception to save myself money

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

That's why you should link your license to a Microsoft account. Hardware doesn't matter after that point. I'm also still using my 18€ Windows 7 license which I upgraded to 10 and 11 during the free upgrade periods.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

23 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

That's why you should link your license to a Microsoft account. Hardware doesn't matter after that point. I'm also still using my 18€ Windows 7 license which I upgraded to 10 and 11 during the free upgrade periods.

I did. They downgraded my license after they made this change.

Just because you can change your hardware, doesn't mean much when they can't change your license at any point.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I did. They downgraded my license after they made this change.

Just because you can change your hardware, doesn't mean much when they can't change your license at any point.

I have used several different components and did several reinstalls since Windows 7. I linked my license to to my account during the Windows 10 days. Nowadays practically every part of my PC has been changed 1 or 2 times since then. Every time I had to reactivate Windows, I signed back into my Microsoft account and that's it.

In any case, if it ever stops working, I'll just buy another $10 key.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 hours ago, Onions said:

Lmao. I can't imagine how you can be this offended by the thought of a stranger on the internet saying they don't want to give more money to one of the world's richest corporations.

Not offended at all, just pointing out how petty I think your mindset is. Disagreeing and being offended are two totally different things (though that's a social problem far beyond what will be discussed here.)

And this also isn't about giving the "greedy corporation" more money. This applies to any product sector: You got the value of your product (in this case, an OS license), plus a bunch of extra value by it lasting FAR longer than was originally intended. Being required to buy a new key at some point thereafter is by no means their problem. They owe you nothing at this point.

3 hours ago, Onions said:

Since I can't avoid these things even if I pay full price for a new license, yes I will be exploring the alternatives first, thank you very much.

If you want to try Linux because you don't like the direction Windows is trending, that is a valid opinion. But framing it as "they wronged me, so I'm ditching them" is bit disingenuous.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

10 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

If you want to try Linux because you don't like the direction Windows is trending, that is a valid opinion. But framing it as "they wronged me, so I'm ditching them" is bit disingenuous.

I didn't frame it that way; you did.

You got the value of your product (in this case, an OS license), plus a bunch of extra value by it lasting FAR longer than was originally intended. Being required to buy a new key at some point thereafter is by no means their problem. They owe you nothing at this point.

And you're still apparently butthurt about me not being grateful enough to Microsoft for harvesting my data for eight years.

1 minute ago, Onions said:

I didn't frame it that way; you did.

Fair. Though to my credit, your complaining attitude makes it very easy to read that way. But if it's not the case, my bad.

2 minutes ago, Onions said:

And you're still apparently butthurt about me not being grateful enough to Microsoft for harvesting my data for eight years.

And then you say things like this which kind of confirms my position, soo....

Look, I'm not "butthurt." I'm only clarifying my position of why I think you are wrong or, at least, a bit misguided. Don't take things so personally. 😉

Primary Gaming Rig:

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Did you reinstall after yo

3 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Did you reinstall after you flashed the bios?

The number 5, I would argue that the use of the free-upgrade path didn't stipulate that you couldn't switch hardware.  Specifically the free-upgrade would be Microsoft granting the license to be used for such, and if on your old hardware it worked [and if they admit the old hardware was a legal licensed copy of W11], then you are merely enacting clause 4b and specifically the hardware itself hadn't changed only the firmware.

Anyways the whole, not a lawyer thing...just my 2 cents.  I wouldn't be too peeved about it though given that it was something purchased 16 years ago though...just I would try talking to giving me a license/exception to save myself money

I didn't reinstall after flashing. Despite the intermittent problems getting it to post, the card worked perfectly in Windows once it had booted properly, no issues with drivers or anything, so I didn't see any point.

It did sometimes throw an error saying no GOP information and default to CSM mode which disabled ReBar, so maybe that's something to do with why Windows detected a hardware change.

I might try calling them again but I'm pretty sceptical that I'll get anywhere, it was pretty difficult communicating with the Indian guy on the phone, and I got the impression that the technical information I provided went over his head and he was just giving me a stock reply based on the error code I provided.

58 minutes ago, Onions said:

I didn't reinstall after flashing. Despite the intermittent problems getting it to post, the card worked perfectly in Windows once it had booted properly, no issues with drivers or anything, so I didn't see any point.

It did sometimes throw an error saying no GOP information and default to CSM mode which disabled ReBar, so maybe that's something to do with why Windows detected a hardware change.

I might try calling them again but I'm pretty sceptical that I'll get anywhere, it was pretty difficult communicating with the Indian guy on the phone, and I got the impression that the technical information I provided went over his head and he was just giving me a stock reply based on the error code I provided.

Honestly if I were calling them, I would state it successfully validated back in January and sucessfully validated on the previous hardware so the license should be considered valid for that hardware.   Then if they admit the "old" hardware was valid, then just state that the hardware remained the same just a bios update so the license can't be retroactively invalidated.  If that doesn't work, then I personally would state their EULA mentions the transfer of hardware and during the free upgrade period the license was accepted which means it's a valid license and per the EULA you are allowed switching hardware as long as the old hardware no longer has the software on it.

If they refuse, then ask them which portion of the EULA you violated.  Just my opinion though

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

7 hours ago, Kid.Lazer said:

Fair. Though to my credit, your complaining attitude makes it very easy to read that way. But if it's not the case, my bad.

I don't see how you got a  "complaining attitude" from the original post. I explained my experience in a matter-of-fact way without expressing any irritation with Microsoft at all. The whole point of posting it was to try and let some more people who might be affected know about the change in policy because it certainly passed me by even though I keep up to date with PC/tech news. I didn't even know I was exploiting a "loophole" until today; my Windows 7 licence just kept working on new hardware and I was just like "Ok, that still works. Cool".

I mentioned switching to Linux because why wouldn't I explore the alternatives before dropping a lot of money on a new key? I thought maybe someone more knowledgeable about Linux might see that and give some suggestions.

Yes, I don't like how modern Windows works but it's quite obvious that I was willing to accept that compromise because until now it was convenient and free.

The reason I think you are butthurt/offended is that you actually called me petty for considering switching to Linux after all Microsoft has given me for free. Yeah, it was nice that I was able to ride one OS purchase for fifteen years, but Microsoft only did that because they thought they could make more money that way. I don't owe them anything and they don't owe me anything.

On 3/22/2024 at 6:13 PM, Kid.Lazer said:

Look, I'm not "butthurt." I'm only clarifying my position of why I think you are wrong or, at least, a bit misguided. Don't take things so personally. 😉

but on the other hand they did get promised "free upgrades" because Microsoft knows people are reluctant to upgrade to new OS versions,  so its kinda disingenuous from Microsoft to randomly say "nope, enough is enough, now please buy a new version even though we have several times, including the current version promised free upgrades".

so in my view your reaction does seem like you take it kinda personal how people dare to demand their "promised" free upgrades... its just kinda strange? 

dont get me wrong,  if there was an official license expiry date,  i think no one would complain, but just randomly saying "oh you changed your hardware so you must be rich, please pay this ransom to continue using our OS" seems indeed a little bit petty and or greedy (just a *tiny* bit)

ps: imagine changing the tires of your car and then the car manufacturers comes and disables your engine,  because you "upgraded", because that's what Microsoft is doing,  but we're the "misguided" ones?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity