Asus Announces Strix R9 280 Graphics Card

ASUS has announced the Asus Strix Radeon R9 280, armed with 3 GB of memory (model: STRIX-R9280-OC-3GD5).

The card appears to feature the same exact DirectCU II based cooling solution as the one on the GTX 780 Strix, and likely a similar PCB to the R9 280 DirectCU II series. The cooler offers 0 dBA cooling when the GPU is running at temperatures below 65 °C, and begins to spool up only beyond that. So handling most desktop and mild 3D loads should be completely quiet.

The card also offers a factory OC. The GPU is clocked at 980 MHz, and the memory at 5.20 GHz, compared to reference clocks of 933 MHz core and 5.00 GHz memory. Based on the 28 nm "Tahiti" silicon, the Radeon R9 280 offers 1,792 GCN stream processors, 112 TMUs, 32 ROPs, and a 384-bit wide GDDR5 memory interface.

ASUS didn't reveal pricing.

105c.jpg
105a.jpg

105d.jpg

105b.jpg

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/asus_radeon_r9_280_strix_oc_edition_graphics_card.html

let me know when they make a 290 version of this... the cooler is sexy, but for a 280? why?

passive up to 65c eh? interesting but I don't think many people will go for it.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Uh... Someone please tell me the point of this card's existence...

Because they can.

Not bad I like it. Looks boss

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Because Asus felt like it! They do stuff without too much pay out a bit actually, notably the 760 dual card MARS I think it was called.

Do not  as I  do, and  not  as I say. Instead do as you may..

HSS Revenir: CPU=i7 5960x @4.5GHz Heatsink=Corsair H100i MOBO=ROG Rampage 5 RAM=Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB @3000MHz SSD=Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB GPU=R9 295x2 PSU=Corsair AX1500i OS=Windows 7 Ultimate

Ok I had to say this,

Does anyone else think of these when I hear "Strix"

DSC07210a.jpg

PizzaPringleStix.jpg

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

It's a 7950... Why not do this to a 290/x?

Oh right, because those idle above 65C regardless.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The shroud looks so much better than the regular Direct CUII shroud. Now to do something about that hideous heat pipe. I would much rather have the 4 smaller ones on the side we see when it's installed than that stupid fat half ring we see.

it has legit power

CPU i7-930 @ 4GHz Mobo Asus P6X58D-E GPU Gigabyte 970 G1 RAM Patriot Division 4 Viper Extreme 8GB HDD Western Digital 1TB SSD Samsung 840 pro 128GB PSU Corsair TX 750w Cooling Corsair H100i Os Win 10 Pro Monitor AOC G2460PG

Silent until 65°C you say? Why is Asus trying to sell something that everybody can do in Afterburner or whatever OC program he/she likes? I do this with my HD7870 for over a year now. They stole my idea! Joking aside, I am quite happy they made this card. It is completely black, which is good if you want to build a PC with a more dark colour scheme. I just hope that they didn't put stupid LEDs on that card.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Silent until 65°C you say? Why is Asus trying to sell something that everybody can do in Afterburner or whatever OC program he/she likes? I do this with my HD7870 for over a year now. They stole my idea! Joking aside, I am quite happy they made this card. It is completely black, which is good if you want to build a PC with a more dark colour scheme. I just hope that they didn't put stupid LEDs on that card.

I think they mean the fan stops working like some high end PSUs, something you can't do on cards without custom firmware or coolers.

As a silence freak, I personally like the 0dBA fan mode.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

Explain that 0dB Silent Gaming, cuz seriously, im curious

Apparently the cooler offers 0 dBA cooling (no fan RPM) when the GPU is running at temperatures below 65 °C, and begins to spin up once it reaches that threshold.

So assuming you have no coil whine it will be 0 dBA, because aside from coil whine and the fans nothing should be making noise.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Explain that 0dB Silent Gaming, cuz seriously, im curious

This is only going to be when it's idling, The cooler may be good but not that good. DCUII cards still go over 65C.

First thing I thought of when I saw the last pic:

pXq9e47.png

Honestly, though.. If they know the DCU2 shroud is ugly, I really hope they stop making them. I'm all for rebranding and a color change if it means that happens, even if these Strix products look ridiculous because they're based on an owl's face.. Just don't market them as a different product when almost nothing is changed. That's bull.

It's a 7950... Why not do this to a 290/x?

Oh right, because those idle above 65C regardless.

it is meant to be a budget oveclocking card for people who can't afford the matrix cards. Same idea as the MSI hawk cards.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Why the hell they went for a 280 ?

WHY NOT A 290

WHERE IS TEH LOGIC

GIVE MEH 6GB ON 512BIT BUS NAW