Used camera for hobby photography.

Hey everyone,

I think I'd like to get back into photography. I used to have a Sony A6000, but sold it a few years ago, but quite liked it. 

But since I haven't followed the market in a while I need a few recommendations. 

I don't want to spend all that much money and definitely want to got for a used camera. Also lenses shouldn't be too expensive either and readily available. I do not want to take any videos and am mostly interested in portrait and landscape photography. 

I found a Fujifilm X-T1 for less than 250€ and I have to say I'm quite intrigued to buy it, as I like the idea of having a lot of physical controls and of course the styling of the camera is pretty nice.

I also wouldn't mind going back to a Sony as my experience was pretty good with the A6000. 

Any suggestions? 🙂

the a6000 really is a great budget cam, but the lens selection sucks or costs hella money.
It has strong advantages that no one ever considers like the ability to charge over usb, yeah, imagine right.
As well as using wifi to offload photos to your phone so you can immediately edit and share them, or even controlling the camera remotely from the same app.
It's final trick is the ability to run third party apps for stuff like timelapse or exposure bracketing or other various useful tools.

Like for a $300 body, you dont get any of that elsewhere, its nuts.
If I had to go with anything else, I would look at Canon because there is so much used market for lenses and stuff. 9/10 lenses in second hand shops are all canon, its insane.

I mean if you liked the a6000 you could just buy it again?

Its not like its suddenly a bad camera at all. A decked out a6000 with a some lenses (the lenses seem a bit expensive) seems to be 500 ish on ebay. A pure body is about 250 too.

The fuji is a pretty nice camera too. Nothing wrong with it either.

The main thing will be how much do you wanna spend?

Like you can still get amazing pictures with a old camera. The neighbour of my parents has been a semi pro photographer for most of her life (hobby and gigs) and has been using a canon eos 5d for 18 years now. Still shooting amazing shots and knows the camera inside and out.

3 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

Canon because there is so much used market for lenses and stuff. 9/10 lenses in second hand shops are all canon, its insane.

Yup its insane the market for this. Bonus that there are also a bunch of compatibility adaptors for canon to get other lenses to work or very old or very new canon lenses to work on older/newer camera's.

Very hard to beat that with others.

3 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Hey everyone,

I think I'd like to get back into photography. I used to have a Sony A6000, but sold it a few years ago, but quite liked it. 

But since I haven't followed the market in a while I need a few recommendations. 

I don't want to spend all that much money and definitely want to got for a used camera. Also lenses shouldn't be too expensive either and readily available. I do not want to take any videos and am mostly interested in portrait and landscape photography. 

I found a Fujifilm X-T1 for less than 250€ and I have to say I'm quite intrigued to buy it, as I like the idea of having a lot of physical controls and of course the styling of the camera is pretty nice.

I also wouldn't mind going back to a Sony as my experience was pretty good with the A6000. 

Any suggestions? 🙂

I am in a similar boat. I do most of my photography using film cameras, but want to grab a cheap digital for casual snaps. I am looking at the sony A7 simply for the fact that I can adapt all of my current vintage lenses to it. If you are coming in with nothing, that is a good way to save cash. Vintage lenses are cheap and most are fantastic if you can live with manual focusing.

Thanks, everyone!

I got a great deal on a Sony A6000. It includes the 16-50mm 3.5-5.6 kit lens and also the Sony 50mm 1.8 OSS. All of that in its original packaging and for just 450€!

Bonus: The seller includes a Sony bag and multiple batteries. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/22/2024 at 1:23 AM, Senzelian said:

Hey everyone,

Any suggestions? 🙂

The Fujifilm X-T1 sounds like a solid choice for your needs and budget. Enjoy getting back into photography!