Annoying Coil Whine on RX 6800 XT (Probably PSU?)

The other day i bought a used PowerColor Red Devil RX 6800 XT. When playing games, especially at high frame rates and in game menus i hear a coil wine coming from my GPU and it's really annoying. I tried lowering the voltage to 1060mV and capping the frame rate to 140fps (bellow my monitor native refresh rate) and the noise does get lower but i can still hear it to the point of it annoying me just enough. The only culprit for this problem can be my PSU which is Chieftec ECO 700W GPE-700S

https://www.chieftec.eu/products-detail/118/ECO_SERIES/122/GPE-700S

It's an European PSU that focuses on power efficiency and saving energy and it's a brand that hardly any Americans have even heard of.

I was thinking of buying a new more expensive PSU like the Corsair RM850e, which is not only Fully-Modular, but also has two different PCI-E cables unlike mine which only came with one. I've heard people saying that plugging two (6+2) pins from two different PCI-E cables does help with lowering coil whine noise.

Also on the PowerColor website it does say that the "Minimum Recommended PSU" for their RX 6800 XT is 850W. So it's maybe mine fault for not talking that seriously.

So, what are your thoughts? I don't want to end up buying a 100$ more expensive PSU just to have the same coil whine noise again. That's why i need yours reassurance! 🙂

The rest of my specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600

MB: MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max

RAM: HyperX Predator 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200

PSU: Chieftec ECO 700W GPE-700S

28 minutes ago, Pessut said:

It's an European PSU that focuses on power efficiency and saving energy and it's a brand that hardly any Americans have even heard of.

its a Taiwanese company and they're extremely popular as low budget options in America...

as for your problem,  it may or may not be your psu, more likely its actually the gpu, which is normal.

however i would recommend a better quality brand psu such as corsair rmx or superflower leadex III, an "energy saving" psu is hardly the right choice for a gaming setup and with a bit of luck it'll actually improve or fix your gpu coilwhine problem, but its not guaranteed. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6800/6900 XTs are known for having copious amounts of coil whine due to them having very little input filtering. A bad/whiny PSU won't help that whine, but even the best PSU you can get will still likely have some whine coming from that card. 

Getting a PSU upgrade is still a good idea though, 6800 XTs are known for having massive power spikes, and realistically you should have a well reviewed 750W+ unit to handle them and not risk random shutdowns. 

32 minutes ago, Pessut said:

That's why i need yours reassurance!

that's actually not possible because every system and gpu is different,  i can only assure you that a high quality psu such as superflower leadex III *can* improve coilwhine,  but its absolutely not guaranteed. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

17 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Getting a PSU upgrade is still a good idea though, 6800 XTs are known for having massive power spikes, and realistically you should have a well reviewed 750W+ unit to handle them and not risk random shutdowns. 

Especially given their existing PSU is rated Avoid on the tier list.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Pessut said:

When playing games, especially at high frame rates and in game menus i hear a coil wine coming from my GPU and it's really annoying. I tried lowering the voltage to 1060mV and capping the frame rate to 140fps (bellow my monitor native refresh rate) and the noise does get lower but i can still hear it to the point of it annoying me just enough. The only culprit for this problem can be my PSU

You've described coil whine on the graphics card. The culprit is most likely the graphics card.

Your low end power supply will likely make the problem worse. Switching power supplies might help alleviate the issue, though it's entirely possible a better power supply might make no difference to the coil whine coming from the graphics card.

1 hour ago, Pessut said:

Chieftec is a fairly large and well known brand.

The power supply you have does not meet the minimum standards required for 80 Plus efficiency standards, which is the most basic efficiency standards a PSU can achieve. The 85+ logo is not genuine, it's just a fake logo they put on there to copy the 80+ logo. There is no "85+" standards.

That low end power supply isn't really suitable for a graphics card with high power draw such as a 6800XT.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450