is 11.2v bad for 12v rail during 100% load ont psu ?

Pakwarrior

hello so i recently made a build 

i7 3770

rx580

16gb ram

2x 500gb HDDs

1xhdd 

and psu is  CWT gpt-500 80+ white 

while playing games like apex or war thunder when gpu is going 100% 173 watts 

with CPU like 50% usage and 43 watts..

I GET 11.4 volts on the 12volt rail 

then out of curiosity I put 100% load on the psu using occt stability testing software 

during test, psu holds avg 11.3volts while max goes to 11.43 for 1% and 0.1% goes to 11.23v (for like 1 to 3 secs then comes back to 11.43 then after 5 to 10 secs goes to 11.34 then again for 1,2 sec 11.23 then comes back to 11.4v..

so is it dangerous for PC components and should I change the psu 

the thing is i am a student and don't really have money for the psu yet but i can manage to get some bucks in some time while also selling current psu online 

nah youll be fine

afaik atx calls for a 5% max deviation of voltage so 12v can be 11.4-12.6v, wouldnt worry over it

btw you can cut the gpu power draw to ~100w if you undervolt to .86v and set core clocks to ~1100, otherwise if power bills dont matter just oc the thing till the cooler cant keep it under 90c

Where is the measurement defined and happening? It is normal for the voltage to drop over practical cables as the current goes up. The voltage measured at the PSU might still be higher, but it droops by the time it is at the GPU.

The GPU doesn't directly use 12V anyway. It converts the power to lower voltages. If the input voltage drops, it increases the current to give the required power. As long as the current is still in limits and the PSU doesn't fall over, it should be ok.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

Where is the measurement defined and happening? It is normal for the voltage to drop over practical cables as the current goes up. The voltage measured at the PSU might still be higher, but it droops by the time it is at the GPU.

The GPU doesn't directly use 12V anyway. It converts the power to lower voltages. If the input voltage drops, it increases the current to give the required power. As long as the current is still in limits and the PSU doesn't fall over, it should be ok.

psu is of a reputable brand cwt as I discussed with friend so if that the case then ok btw there is a psu available fsp 600 watt 80+ silver

dangerous? no.

should you replace that power supply? i would. 80+ white is is pretty terrible efficiency these days, which has further implications about how well made (or lack thereof) the rest of the power supply is.

it's better than not having a power supply, obviously.. but it's safe to assume that if you ever start to notice stability issues with your system, it's probably the power supply.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

dangerous? no.

should you replace that power supply? i would. 80+ white is is pretty terrible efficiency these days, which has further implications about how well made (or lack thereof) the rest of the power supply is.

it's better than not having a power supply, obviously.. but it's safe to assume that if you ever start to notice stability issues with your system, it's probably the power supply.

ok ill keep that in mind when im gonna upgrade in future IA il replace this psu also 

8 minutes ago, porina said:

just checking from software occt no special equipment 

19 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

nah youll be fine

afaik atx calls for a 5% max deviation of voltage so 12v can be 11.4-12.6v, wouldnt worry over it

btw you can cut the gpu power draw to ~100w if you undervolt to .86v and set core clocks to ~1100, otherwise if power bills dont matter just oc the thing till the cooler cant keep it under 90c

idk if you want to OC a GPU when the PSU is starting to drop it's 12v rail voltage, I'd much rather just see if an undervolt without the loss of performance or stability was possible instead

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

34 minutes ago, podkall said:

idk if you want to OC a GPU when the PSU is starting to drop it's 12v rail voltage, I'd much rather just see if an undervolt without the loss of performance or stability was possible instead

there doesnt really seem to be any solid proof with what part of a psu can cause instability so just test it out for yourself and see what happens

i mean it is possible and i think there have been a few threads here and there where a psu swap fixed instability but the details on voltages are vague if not non existent so no idea if its some invisible spikes or whatnot in the background or the voltage reading you can see in your mobo bios

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

there doesnt really seem to be any solid proof with what part of a psu can cause instability so just test it out for yourself and see what happens

i mean it is possible and i think there have been a few threads here and there where a psu swap fixed instability but the details on voltages are vague if not non existent so no idea if its some invisible spikes or whatnot in the background or the voltage reading you can see in your mobo bios

I'm not OP, but are you saying that voltage itself not being 12V on the 12V rail for example isn't necessarily a bad thing?

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Just now, podkall said:

I'm not OP, but are you saying that voltage itself not being 12V on the 12V rail for example isn't necessarily a bad thing?

nope

it gets converted down anyways and ive run much worse with basically no consequence other than some protection on the board or psu kicking in  so it auto shuts down (12v -> 14.2v and 5v -> 6v with 3.3v -> 2.7v) but thats on a trash grey box oem psu with a tiny rear fan and non existent 12v rail

On 3/15/2024 at 2:37 AM, podkall said:

i am not fdoing any kind of oc maybe it might due ti i7 3770 and z77 overclockable mobo OCing the cou and charging more Current maybe

If you are having some crashes, then yes it is bad, and the PSU is done, especially if the 3.3 and 5v is showing a low voltage too. The crashes will tell you.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

24 minutes ago, Pakwarrior said:

i am not fdoing any kind of oc maybe it might due ti i7 3770 and z77 overclockable mobo OCing the cou and charging more Current maybe

cool, if you may get issues in the future, and you know its PSU you could try undervolting, you dont have to do it now

PC:

PCs I used before: