2 gamers using seperate GPUs in one overkill PC possible?

WhiteSkyMage

edit: Wait. No. I'm dumb. The problem isn't the graphics drivers, it's the OS itself. Windows doesn't allow multiple windows to be in focus at the same time. You'd need to use the VM solution people are talking about. This will substantially reduce the performance of any game run within the VM (don't expect modern AAA games to play acceptably in a VM, if at all). But yea. That's the problem: window focus.

Do you mean there is will be performance loss for the host AND for the VM user? I thought that performance from CPU will spread in 1/2 for VM and host, and since the 2 GPUs (NOT in SLI config) are connected directly to the separate monitors, the performance loss might only occur from CPU's performance output, not the GPUs. For the RAM, I am not sure how it splits up (I wanna split it 8/8 or 16/16 so she has and I have and we can both play AAA games on max with good performance (having the CPU overclocked and fans , pump at the maximum :D). 

I just don't get, which component will get performance output loss?

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

Dang a guy and his sister both having interest in gaming...the perfect relationship

Man, it's normal? Are you jealous?

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

Why would you even want to do this ?

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

You can use a Linux KVM virtual machine manager. It supports PCIe passthrough, assuming that your CPU supports it through VT-d and VT-x (only non K intel CPUs  :mellow:).

Create 2 VMs each running windows, assign 1 GPU to each VM, along with the peripherals.

If you need help, look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/howtos/virtualization/kvm

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

You can actually do that, you can run an app that deploys a OS to each one of your monitors and use your monitor as a source of usb ports, and using shadowplay would be possible that way, ;)

You can use a Linux KVM virtual machine manager. It supports PCIe passthrough, assuming that your CPU supports it through VT-d and VT-x (only non K intel CPUs  :mellow:).

Create 2 VMs each running windows, assign 1 GPU to each VM, along with the peripherals.

If you need help, look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/howtos/virtualization/kvm

hmm, sorry man but my CPU will be K intel (since Haswell-E are 2 K and 1 X CPU)

You can actually do that, you can run an app that deploys a OS to each one of your monitors and use your monitor as a source of usb ports, and using shadowplay would be possible that way, ;)

What app? Is that VM as well? 

Guys I just wanna know one thing - which component will have a disadvantage and potentially a performance loss from a virtual machine? Why would there be a problem playing AAA games on virtual machine? 

Dang a guy and his sister both having interest in gaming...the perfect relationship

incest

Eclipse Version 3: i5 9600K | Asus Strix Z390| GTX 1070 | 16GB Kingston Beast | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD [2] +WD Blue 1TB | NZXT H440 | EVGA 750 W | Dark Rock Pro 4| Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium

Hey guys, I think I found some good guide for VMs. Ty for the help. Here is it: http://www.overclock.net/t/1205216/guide-create-a-gaming-virtual-machine

maybe if you had some sort of virtual desktop thing going on... but i don't know if you would be able to get a second mouse on the screen without it interfering with the other...

but i might do some testing on this now, very interesting...

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Well alright,

Looks like the LGA 2011 CPUs all support VT-d and VT-x. Let's hope that Haswell-E will also support it. 

So, which MBs support VT-d right now? What's the best Virtual Machine out there I can make for gaming?

Well alright,

Looks like the LGA 2011 CPUs all support VT-d and VT-x. Let's hope that Haswell-E will also support it. 

So, which MBs support VT-d right now? What's the best Virtual Machine out there I can make for gaming?

Just about any Asus Workstation board. 

As for what host OS, it would probably be a Linux, pick just about any flavor. I would suggest Ubuntu as it has a fairly easy to use GUI.

As for what virtualization software: Xen, KVM, or Virtualbox. All are free. 

As for the paid route: Vmware ESXi or Vspere is the only option that I know of.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Do you mean there is will be performance loss for the host AND for the VM user? I thought that performance from CPU will spread in 1/2 for VM and host, and since the 2 GPUs (NOT in SLI config) are connected directly to the separate monitors, the performance loss might only occur from CPU's performance output, not the GPUs. For the RAM, I am not sure how it splits up (I wanna split it 8/8 or 16/16 so she has and I have and we can both play AAA games on max with good performance (having the CPU overclocked and fans , pump at the maximum :D). 

I just don't get, which component will get performance output loss?

The perf loss would be for the VM user only. The non-VM user will be unaffected. The reason why is that GPUs don't virtualize well. Some tasks it will be transparent, others...massive. It depends on the application/task itself as to whether the 'doesn't virtualize well' is a showstopper or a minor annoyance.

The loss of performance isn't from hardware, it's from software. Well..technically it's from hardware that hasn't been created yet. In order to virtualize access to a GPU, you have to:

1. Virtualize the PCI bus.
  2. Virtualize the CPU interrupt handler, and tie that into the PCI bus
  3. Create an interface between the virtual interrupt handler and the physical interrupt handler, check that you aren't clobbering another signal, etc.
  4. For each GPU event:
  5. Take the physical signal to/from the hardware, translate it to a virtual instruction, send that through the virtual interrupt handler, virtual CPU, virtual PCI bus, to the virtual graphics card.
  6. decode *back* down to the physical layer
  7. execute the instruction, wrap the result into the virtual layer
  8. send the virtual answer back through the virtual PCI bus, virtual CPU, virtual interrupt handler --> physical interrupt handler
  9. Display physical answer on screen

It adds steps. Those steps stack up if you are doing lots of tiny operations and slow you down A LOT. If your workload gives you a smaller number of larger tasks, the impact isn't so large.

The perf loss would be for the VM user only. The non-VM user will be unaffected. The reason why is that GPUs don't virtualize well. Some tasks it will be transparent, others...massive. It depends on the application/task itself as to whether the 'doesn't virtualize well' is a showstopper or a minor annoyance.

The loss of performance isn't from hardware, it's from software. Well..technically it's from hardware that hasn't been created yet. In order to virtualize access to a GPU, you have to:

• Virtualize the PCI bus.
  • Virtualize the CPU interrupt handler, and tie that into the PCI bus
  • Create an interface between the virtual interrupt handler and the physical interrupt handler, check that you aren't clobbering another signal, etc.
  • For each GPU event:
  • Take the physical signal to/from the hardware, translate it to a virtual instruction, send that through the virtual interrupt handler, virtual CPU, virtual PCI bus, to the virtual graphics card.
  • decode *back* down to the physical layer
  • execute the instruction, wrap the result into the virtual layer
  • send the virtual answer back through the virtual PCI bus, virtual CPU, virtual interrupt handler --> physical interrupt handler
  • Display physical answer on screen
It adds steps. Those steps stack up if you are doing lots of tiny operations and slow you down A LOT. If your workload gives you a smaller number of larger tasks, the impact isn't so large.

If i have a CPU and MB which support VT-d and VT-x, then will the performance loss be smaller?

If i have a CPU and MB which support VT-d and VT-x, then will the performance loss be smaller?

No. Those instructions help the CPU tasks, they do nothing for the GPU tasks AFAIK.