I live in Pune, India, but my IPv4 address shows the location of Nagpur, India, which results in high ping.

Prajwal Kale

I have also conducted a speed test using Ookla, which connects to a server in Nagpur by default, resulting in high ping. However, when I manually change it to a server in Pune, the ping is significantly lower.

I have been facing this issue for the past three weeks. Before that, my IPv4 address was different.

2 minutes ago, Prajwal Kale said:

I have also conducted a speed test using Ookla, which connects to a server in Nagpur by default, resulting in high ping. However, when I manually change it to a server in Pune, the ping is significantly lower.

I have been facing this issue for the past three weeks. Before that, my IPv4 address was different.

Is your concern about speed testing or a specific application that you're getting noticeably higher ping while using?

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

What this indicates is that your ISP has a network hub in Nagpur and that's where you connect to the web. Ask the ISP to change your network access to a local hub instead, or choose a different ISP if you can.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Your ISP bought a bunch of IP addresses and decided to your current IP range in your town.  The IP assigned to you may have been used in Nagpur a week ago or some time ago ... the databases are not updated daily and can report bad locations. The IP alone doesn't "store" any information about where it is used, the databases are built by automated bots who look through what computers the data packets go and using other methods.

As soon as those databases will be updated, random applications like speedtest will detect you correctly in your town and suggest a test server closer to you.

It's possible your ISP had to shuffle IPs around and route the internet data through different ways to work around those fiber cables that were cut under the ocean ... the data that went through those fiber cables may now be moved through other fiber cables.