Youtube on auto quality doesn't lower quality when there's are significant frame drops (PC)

When playing back Youtube on my PC, using auto quality, Youtube doesn't drop the quality, even when 10-15 frames out of 60 per second are being dropped, which makes no sense.

Anyone else who's experienced this as well, regardless of the speed of the PC or playback quality?

9 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

When playing back Youtube on my PC, using auto quality, Youtube doesn't drop the quality, even when 10-15 frames out of 60 per second are being dropped, which makes no sense.

Anyone else who's experienced this as well, regardless of the speed of the PC or playback quality?

It only takes account for internet speed, not framerate.

7 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

It only takes account for internet speed, not framerate.

Well, that's not true, or at least that works very poorly, cause I have a fiber optic gigabit connection, and it almost never plays videos at 4K, or 8K for that matter, if I leave it on auto, or switch to "higher quality" in the Youtube app, even though even 8K only takes a fraction of a gigabit connection to play, cause the bitrate is so low on Youtube anyway, but Youtube should also consider the device itself playing the video. If the device is too weak to play the video at high resolutions, you get a bad and laggy experience when the quality doesn't automatically drop.

22 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

and it almost never plays videos at 4K, or 8K for that matter

By default it will pick your screen resolution (if full screen). No sense using 4K on e.g. 1080p monitor. Then is scales down if the available bandwidth isn't fast enough for that.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

46 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

Well, that's not true, or at least that works very poorly, cause I have a fiber optic gigabit connection, and it almost never plays videos at 4K, or 8K for that matter, if I leave it on auto, or switch to "higher quality" in the Youtube app, even though even 8K only takes a fraction of a gigabit connection to play, cause the bitrate is so low on Youtube anyway, but Youtube should also consider the device itself playing the video. If the device is too weak to play the video at high resolutions, you get a bad and laggy experience when the quality doesn't automatically drop.

I'm not saying it shouldn't take framerate into consideration.. I'm just saying that it doesn't.

1 hour ago, kasdashd said:

thats because it picks your screen resolution , most of the time, it seems occasionally play 4k content in 4k tho, even though my screen is 1440p. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

31 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

I'm not saying it shouldn't take framerate into consideration.. I'm just saying that it doesn't.

well it should and it does, at least indirectly, it does count dropped frames, and if you have buffer / speed issues, which typically will lower frames, it will automatically lower quality - what it uses to decide that, framerate or buffer quality doesn't matter, end result is the same.

ergo, if you have framedrops, that should be visible to youtube and it will act accordingly.  however the fact it doesn't seem to be the case for OP is odd.

56 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

By default it will pick your screen resolution (if full screen). No sense using 4K on e.g. 1080p monitor. Then is scales down if the available bandwidth isn't fast enough for that.

in fact 4k looks great on a 1080p monitor, because you'll get a higher bitrate and a pseudo "supersampling" effect.  🙂

1 hour ago, kasdashd said:

something definitely wrong,  have you tried a browser such a Chrome? 

Try reinstalling the yt app otherwise. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

I have a 4K monitor, well, it's 1080p, but I run it at 4K using Nvidia DSR 4x upscaling, which I doubt Youtube can distinguish from real 4K.

1 hour ago, Hinjima said:

I know

58 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

thats because it picks your screen resolution , most of the time, it seems occasionally play 4k content in 4k tho, even though my screen is 1440p. 

But I do have a 4K screen, upscaled using DSR, but still, and it still doesn't do that. even though my PC can handle 8K60fps easily, without dropping any frames.

52 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

well it should and it does, at least indirectly, it does count dropped frames, and if you have buffer / speed issues, which typically will lower frames, it will automatically lower quality - what it uses to decide that, framerate or buffer quality doesn't matter, end result is the same.

ergo, if you have framedrops, that should be visible to youtube and it will act accordingly.  however the fact it doesn't seem to be the case for OP is odd.

in fact 4k looks great on a 1080p monitor, because you'll get a higher bitrate and a pseudo "supersampling" effect.  🙂

something definitely wrong,  have you tried a browser such a Chrome? 

Try reinstalling the yt app otherwise. 

Exactly, even 8K on a 1080p monitor looks so much better compared to 1080p or 4K, cause the bitrate is so much higher. 

And my PC can easily play 8K60fps without dropping any frames, but I was intentionally trying to test how Youtube would react, when I'm running BOINC in the background, which uses 100% CPU and GPU, cause then it already drops frames at 1080p or 720p60 resolution. So this is just an observation from a forced, user created scenario, and not a personal issue I have.

2 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

But I do have a 4K screen, upscaled using DSR, but still, and it still doesn't do that. even though my PC can handle 8K60fps easily, without dropping any frames.

now im wondering though,  you shouldn't need dsr to watch yt videos, what screen do you have exactly? 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

Exactly, even 8K on a 1080p monitor looks so much better compared to 1080p or 4K, cause the bitrate is so much higher. 

And my PC can easily play 8K60fps without dropping any frames, but I was intentionally trying to test how Youtube would react, when I'm running BOINC in the background, which uses 100% CPU and GPU, cause then it already drops frames at 1080p or 720p60 resolution. So this is just an observation from a forced, user created scenario, and not a personal issue I have.

ah, but that basically means youtube probably *only* takes "stream quality" into consideration,  not framerates (which as ive tried to explain is typically a byproduct of bad streaming quality) 

so your internet is good, yt sees no issue,  and does nothing... 

if that's what's happening only yt can help you, or maybe there's an extension that takes system usage into consideration.  because as said, from yt's perspective that makes sense,  even a 940mx can stream in "4k" no issues at all. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

49 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

now im wondering though,  you shouldn't need dsr to watch yt videos, what screen do you have exactly? 

I have a 1080p 240fps TN panel 24 inch monitor. And yes, you don’t need a 4K monitor to watch Youtube videos, but 4K still looks better than 1080p on a 1080p monitor. And also, you need at least a 144p monitor to use the RTX video enhancement feature, which uses your GPU to improve video quality in real time, so by using DSR to run my display at 4K, I can use that feature, and then you can also select 4K resolution in games using this method, which is great in older games especially, not being as visually limited by your 1080p monitor.

47 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

ah, but that basically means youtube probably *only* takes "stream quality" into consideration,  not framerates (which as ive tried to explain is typically a byproduct of bad streaming quality) 

so your internet is good, yt sees no issue,  and does nothing... 

if that's what's happening only yt can help you, or maybe there's an extension that takes system usage into consideration.  because as said, from yt's perspective that makes sense,  even a 940mx can stream in "4k" no issues at all. 

Yes, I know that, I already sent feedback to Youtube about this, but it was also just to get some attention to this issue, that I shared this information here in the forum, so other people might realize the issue as well, and contact Youtube as well. It’s like an indirect petition, to give more attention to issues I find annoying, so they can hopefully be fixed by the power of the masses.

8 hours ago, kasdashd said:

I have a 4K monitor, well, it's 1080p, but I run it at 4K using Nvidia DSR 4x upscaling, which I doubt Youtube can distinguish from real 4K.

DSR does not turn your screen into a 4K screen.

It simply means the GPU renders the image at 4K, then downsamples it to match the physical resolution of your screen. Which is effectively SSAA. And somewhat pointless in desktop mode.

As @Mark Kaine pointed out, YouTube can do that on its own, no need for DSR.

YouTube won't care, from their POV you're simply wasting their bandwidth.

7 hours ago, kasdashd said:

Yes, I know that, I already sent feedback to Youtube about this, but it was also just to get some attention to this issue, that I shared this information here in the forum, so other people might realize the issue as well, and contact Youtube as well. It’s like an indirect petition, to give more attention to issues I find annoying, so they can hopefully be fixed by the power of the masses.

im with you in principle,  honestly, but, the thing is you aren't using dsr correctly,  its meant to make older videos look better on high res screens (so 1440p and above) so you're likely even worsen the overall quality,  as said on a 1080p screen all you need to do is set it to 4k, your monitor and gpu will do the rest, hence I've called it "pseudo downsampling" but that's what it basically does (its downscaling technically but with similar benefits) 

so yeah, with dsr you're probably just overburdening your system for no reason honestly, it works fine in games, sure, but videos aren't games and different technologies are used, automatically) but i do agree with you on principle as said, yt *should* take framerate into account when choosing its auto resolution/ bandwidth.  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

16 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

DSR does not turn your screen into a 4K screen.

It simply means the GPU renders the image at 4K, then downsamples it to match the physical resolution of your screen. Which is effectively SSAA. And somewhat pointless in desktop mode.

As @Mark Kaine pointed out, YouTube can do that on its own, no need for DSR.

YouTube won't care, from their POV you're simply wasting their bandwidth.

But as I wrote in another reply, you gotta have at least a 1440p monitor to use the RTX video enhancement feature on top of DSR and high resolution Youtube, which is why I use it.

6 hours ago, kasdashd said:

But as I wrote in another reply, you gotta have at least a 1440p monitor to use the RTX video enhancement feature on top of DSR and high resolution Youtube, which is why I use it.

What you're trying to do sounds very self-defeating. If your computer isn't fast enough to run YouTube smoothly with all of those features enabled and YouTube lowers its bit-rate to compensate, you'll most likely end up with worse quality than what you started with. I'd just run the machine at its normal resolution and set YouTube to 4K or 1440p.

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

What you're trying to do sounds very self-defeating. If your computer isn't fast enough to run YouTube smoothly with all of those features enabled and YouTube lowers its bit-rate to compensate, you'll most likely end up with worse quality than what you started with. I'd just run the machine at its normal resolution and set YouTube to 4K or 1440p.

Yes, but nobody but me gains anything from doing that. I love troubleshooting, and sending feedback to the developers, which I’ve done for 100’s of apps and games, cause it csn result in many small errors being fixed, which benefit millions of people.