All in one file, media and gameserver

Hi!

I'm looking for a way to host a fileserver, (preferably Nextcloud) a Jellyfin mediaserver and a Pterodactyl panel gameserver all on the same machine.
I want to set up folders for each family member and one that everyone can access in the family for shared photos and files.

Also, a media solution with an online panel for qbittorrent and a Jellyfin server that only has access to the downloaded films/series.
On top of that a Pterodactyl panel (or something similar) where I can create and manage gameservers online.

I'd like to run all of that on an SSD and 4x WD RED 2TB drives (with Raid z1 if possible).

Running them on different servers isn't an option because I don't have the budget for that.

I can scrap the gameserver idea if it isn't possible, however, I need to run a file server and a media server no matter what.

Just overall seems like a Horrible idea to have a 3 in one PC for this type of thing.

You want your personal photo and files on a seperate thing, you dont want them mixed with a game server that you want people connecting to, as well as films and shows.

20 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Just overall seems like a Horrible idea to have a 3 in one PC for this type of thing.

You want your personal photo and files on a seperate thing, you dont want them mixed with a game server that you want people connecting to, as well as films and shows.

I know it's a dumb idea; but do I have any other option?

This seems pretty doable and should work just fine. Just install something like Proxmox and fireup some vms for the different use cases.

1TB drives are often a pretty bad value now, I'd get 2x 4TB drives for more space, less power, and empty bays if you want to expand later on. 

Don't use WD RED drives in a NAS, there SMR and not suited for nas and ZFS use, use red plus or ironwolf drives.

24 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

2 minutes ago, MrFr4nk0 said:

I know it's a dumb idea; but do I have any other option?

SELinux enforcing, rootless containers via podman, separate non-wheel users for each container.

That would make it a bit more secure / less dumb.

26 minutes ago, MrFr4nk0 said:

Also, a media solution with an online panel for qbittorrent and a Jellyfin server that only has access to the downloaded films/series.

Carefull now:

Discussion on how to engage in piracy is not allowed.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1381504-community-standards/

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

6 hours ago, MrFr4nk0 said:

Hi!

I'm looking for a way to host a fileserver, (preferably Nextcloud) a Jellyfin mediaserver and a Pterodactyl panel gameserver all on the same machine.
I want to set up folders for each family member and one that everyone can access in the family for shared photos and files.

On top of that a Pterodactyl panel (or something similar) where I can create and manage gameservers online.

I'd like to run all of that on an SSD and 4x WD RED 1TB drives (with Raid z1 if possible).

Running them on different servers isn't an option because I don't have the budget for that.

I can scrap the gameserver idea if it isn't possible, however, I need to run a file server and a media server no matter what.

I would suggest trying truenas scale. 

That can handle the storage and zfs parts and you can use their built in apps for some things and set paths for them and setup a vm for the game server side of things. 

I would also put next cloud in an Ubuntu vm and use their aio docker setup as that works very well and can be configured easily for daily backups. 

Proxmox is way to go, you can virtualise truenas scale use for file server.

And virtualise other OS for example nixos would be good for game cache server.

As for qbitorrent and stuff go for nixos.

All you need is documentation on nixos.

And understand Hard Linking.

As why I'm suggesting nixos because you can have smallest operation system with only couple programs in a single configuration file.

And virtualise them all.

Good luck 👍

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

Thanks for your replies. I'll give proxmox a try.

I'm new to server management, can multiple VMs access the same drive?
So for example; can I create a Raid z1 storage pool in Truenas Scale and have access to a /media folder for the Jellyfin VM and a /data folder for Nextcloud exclusively?

20 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

1TB drives are often a pretty bad value now, I'd get 2x 4TB drives for more space, less power, and empty bays if you want to expand later on. 

Don't use WD RED drives in a NAS, there SMR and not suited for nas and ZFS use, use red plus or ironwolf drives.

Sadly I already have the drives, but I'll remember that for the future.
I managed to get them at a REALLY low price that's why I chose them.

And thanks again for actually mentioning solutions and not just saying that it is a dumb idea even if it is 🙂

Just now, MrFr4nk0 said:

I'm new to server management, can multiple VMs access the same drive?
So for example; can I create a Raid z1 storage pool in Truenas Scale and have access to a /media folder for the Jellyfin VM and a /data folder for Nextcloud exclusively?

Yup, multiple vms can access one drive. You can make  multiple vms off one storage pool the vms can use. You can also make network shares and mount them on other vms.

23 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Oh, I just realized I messed up my original post.
I have 4x WD RED 2TB, not 1TB drives 😄 

(I've edited it since)

On 2/27/2024 at 9:14 AM, Shimejii said:

Not true, it's just fine when you're running a containerised or virtual environment. 

He can run all of these and Docker, and just use the server for 'compute' and create different data shares (multiple SMB targets) or even virtual disks to separate the roles. 

I would create a general data pool, and a game server pool. I'd run some flavor of Linux (or something like TrueNAS Core etc..) and run these via Docker. 

Can go as far as to create separate Docker networks to isolate the groups of containers from being able to 'see' each other. 

Proxmox is also great, but uses LXC's. Id personally go TrueNAS Scale because of the extremely wide Docker support and by using Docker you reduce overhead compared to running virtual machines. Proxmox is better as an OpenSource alternative to VMware (especially with pricing changes). 

Personally at home, I have my Testlab, "Media server", Cloud (Nextcloud & Backup), Reverse Proxy & other functions, and Virtual Machine game servers all running off a single high power server. With a mix of arrays, virtual machines, containers, and VLAN's / Docker Networks. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

So, to summarise it all.

Should I install Proxmox on my server and under that create a Truenas Scale VM,
with Nexcloud, Jellyfin, and qbittorrent apps on it, for the media and file storage part?
And then create a separate VM for the game server?

So the structure will be:
Proxmox
∟ 
Truenas Scale
     ∟ Nextcloud
     ∟ Jellyfin
     ∟ qbittorrent

Gameserver VM
     ∟ Pterodactyl panel

Or should I put Nextcloud on a completely separate VM?
Basically why I think it would be unnecessary because both will be accessed by my family; so there's no need for separation right?
On the other hand that would make it more complicated and this is not a corporate server, it is just for my family and to have something to host my gameserver for me and my friends.

And again, thanks for all of your replies.

So, another question is what is the best way to deal with dynamic IP?
My ISP won't allow static IP unless I'm in a business package which costs WAY more.
Should I just run another VM for Cloudflare Dynamic DNS?
And what would be the best way to make it securely accessible from outside the home network?