Hogwarts legacy has unplayable bug on PC that is not fixable on user end, has been no bug fix for 8 months, game support is not helping

Hogwarts legacy has a bug on many RTX systems (Well documented, common bug) on the PC port when certain common triggers are met. I personally found this bug after I have been soft locked by crashes) After reaching out for help, I was told todo the standard toubleshooting stuff (Verifying integrity, re-installing, updating drivers, yada yada) but after I had done all of  that and nothing worked, they responded with this:

image.png.e90fa04364dd85f1227b1ca34d5c7b7f.png

multiple people over many months have experienced the same thing, and it is down right theft that they are selling a non-functional game with a bug that can only occur AFTER the steam return window has expired. (for everybody, the bug occurs around halfway through the story)

I have attached two replications of the bug recorded for proof, and I'm hoping that if we take this issue public they will be forced to respond with a bug fix or at least refund the game to all people affected.

Replication #1:

Replication #2:

please can we bring light to this issue and their reluctance to solve it for months, leaving paying customers unable to play the game.

What have you tried to troubleshoot this so far?

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

I thought it bad enough it has a bug where I can't get 100% completion because one of the mirrors the butterfly never spawns.  On console reloading the save is supposed to fix it, on PC it doesn't, it just never appears no matter what I try.

Quite apart from the fact I had to upgrade to a 7800X3D to get the game to stop stuttering because it was utterly broken on a 5950X even with the second CCD disabled.  Lots of people saying to turn on RT, I found it didn't help and just made the game look ugly in Hogwarts where all that marble looks flat with RT off.

Last I checked it still needed frame generation on a 4090 to get a decent frame rate, what a joke of a PC port.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, will0hlep said:

What have you tried to troubleshoot this so far?

I've tried turning off raytracing, updating drivers, verifying integrity of the game files, doing a full re-install of the game, installing it on a different SSD, clearing the steam game cache, starting a fresh playthrough, restarting my pc, and all the other basic troubleshooting steps. others with this bug on the WB games forum have reported no fixes.

WB games forum post: https://hogwartslegacy.bugs.wbgames.com/bug/HL-16125

48 minutes ago, That1guystudios said:

I've tried turning off raytracing, updating drivers, verifying integrity of the game files, doing a full re-install of the game, installing it on a different SSD, clearing the steam game cache, starting a fresh playthrough, restarting my pc, and all the other basic troubleshooting steps. others with this bug on the WB games forum have reported no fixes.

WB games forum post: https://hogwartslegacy.bugs.wbgames.com/bug/HL-16125

You try doing a complete driver reinstall?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

24 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You try doing a complete driver reinstall?

I thought it might've been that, but multiple other people reporting this issue and not having issues with any other games leads me to believe that's not the issue.

47 minutes ago, That1guystudios said:

I thought it might've been that, but multiple other people reporting this issue and not having issues with any other games leads me to believe that's not the issue.

Where are you seeing that others are having the same issue as you?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

24 minutes ago, That1guystudios said:

That report basically just says "the game crashes while I'm playing"? A third of those reports are for the Nintendo Switch version of the game. That's not what I would consider a "well documented, common bug for RTX systems". Those are just random people on completely different versions of the game going "Hey, my game crashed at some point too!".

I do believe you that there is some bug at that point of the game causing you to crash. You will probably have better luck finding a solution if you be more specific about the crash. The quest you are playing, the area of the map you are in, the action that is supposed to be happening that is triggering the crash, etc.

Watching your videos both crashes occurred when you reached the top of those stairs. There's probably some trigger that happens when you enter that zone that is causing the crash. I'm not familiar with the game but it could be a loading zone you are entering or a cut scene that is supposed to trigger.

Game developers are never going to be able to fix "my game crashes", but they might be able to fix "My game crashes at this specific point in this specific quest in this specific zone when triggering this specific action".

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

@That1guystudios

A quick google has suggested that many people facing a similar issue have found success by abandoning the quest and then restarting it.

Apparently this can be done from the quest menu in the field guide.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

2 hours ago, will0hlep said:

@That1guystudios

A quick google has suggested that many people facing a similar issue have found success by abandoning the quest and then restarting it.

Apparently this can be done from the quest menu in the field guide.

That I have tried, sorry for not mentioning that. To be safe I double checked it right now, and it still did not work. and replying to @Spotty 's point, it seems to happen when attempting to enter new areas. whether or not that means the game is having issues loading things onto my RAM/VRAM or something else, it doesn't just happen when going up the top of those stairs, it also happens when I quit the mission entirely and attempt to enter a separate part of the castle. 

If it helps in any way, I am running a 5800x, 4060, 32 Gb of 3200 Mega transfers, and am running Hogwarts legacy off a crucial SSD connected via SATA (all with up to date and functioning drivers).

I really appreciate you guys' help with this, by the way.