NOT GETTING 2.5 GBS

I PAY FOR 2.5 GBS AND IM ONLY GETTING 1 FROM ETHERNET CONNECTYION.BEFORE I UPGRADED IT WAS WORKING? WHATS THE ISSUE? DO I NEED TO CALL MY ISP?

Nope.  You need to first get a NIC that is capable of handling 2.5gbit, have the right drivers for it, and also the correct Ethernet cable.  You also have to have a fast PC and not a potato.  Most on-board NIC's on motherboards are just 1gbit, the higher end boards have 2.5 but you know since you didn't bother to post your specs or anything I'll just say good luck.

Details. PC specs? Does it have a 2.5GbE capable NIC? What does that NIC connect to, any switches in between? Are they 2.5GbE capable? Is the port on your router/firewall 2.5GbE capable? What does Windows say as your link speed? 

Please don't type in all caps.

Network connections only run as fast as the slowest link between the devices talking to each other. Make sure all your devices are 2.5 gig capable, including your Internet plan, modem, router (may be integrated with the modem), and any switches you have. All your network cabling should be Cat5e or better, too.

If your Internet plan is slower than 2500 megs, then you're not going to saturate your 2.5 gig NIC with Internet traffic.

If you're trying to transfer between your PC and another local network device (like another PC or a NAS), then both of them have to support 2.5 gig. (If they're connected through a switch, that also has to be a 2.5 gig switch.) If the other device only supports regular Gigabit, you're only going to get regular Gigabit speeds.

Also make sure you're not conflating units. 2500 Mb/sec = about 312.5 MB/sec. (Theoretically, in a frictionless vacuum. Thanks, @johnt!) If you're only seeing about 100 MB/sec transfer speeds, then you've got a regular Gigabit connection.

FInally, if you do have 2.5 gig everything and an Internet plan fast enough to handle it, you still might be limited by the connections between you and whatever server you're connecting to over the Internet. If that's the case, there's not a whole lot you can do about it.

Edited by Needfuldoer

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

31 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

onflating units. 2500 Mb/sec = about 312.5 MB/sec. If you're only seeing about 100 MB/sec transfer speeds, then you've got a regular Gigabit connection.

It's roughly 280 MB/s transfer speed in real world usage

3 hours ago, overbuilt_gaming said:

Nope.  You need to first get a NIC that is capable of handling 2.5gbit, have the right drivers for it, and also the correct Ethernet cable.  You also have to have a fast PC and not a potato.  Most on-board NIC's on motherboards are just 1gbit, the higher end boards have 2.5 but you know since you didn't bother to post your specs or anything I'll just say good luck.

WHAT IS A NIC? I HAVE A PRETTY GOOD PC, COST AROUND $1400 USD 6700XT & I5-12400F, SO I DONT THINK ITS THE PC. I UPGRADED FROM AT&T 2GB TO THIS LOCAL ISP 2.5 GBP. WHEN  I HAD AT&T I WAS GETTING 2GB SO I DONT THINK ITS THE CABLE. I ALSO BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE AND IT'S STILL CAPPED AT 1GB. I REDOWNLAODED ETHERNET DRIVERS TODAY AND STILL DIDN'T WORK. MY MB IS CAPABLE OF 2.5 GB!!!!! I SEE THERE IS A NEW DRIVER FOR MY MB, I DONT THINK THATS THE ISSUE CAUSE IT WAS WORKING PERFECTLY FINE WHEN I HAD 2GB, BUT SHOULD I JUST UPDATE THE DRIVERS ANYWAY???

LINK TO PC : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yQDghk

LINK TO NEW ETHERNET CABLE https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0875VL1CJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

LINK TO OLD ETHERNET CABLE : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NZGPAY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Network connections only run as fast as the slowest link between the devices talking to each other. Make sure all your devices are 2.5 gig capable, including your Internet plan, modem, router (may be integrated with the modem), and any switches you have. All your network cabling should be Cat5e or better, too.

If your Internet plan is slower than 2500 megs, then you're not going to saturate your 2.5 gig NIC with Internet traffic.

If you're trying to transfer between your PC and another local network device (like another PC or a NAS), then both of them have to support 2.5 gig. (If they're connected through a switch, that also has to be a 2.5 gig switch.) If the other device only supports regular Gigabit, you're only going to get regular Gigabit speeds.

Also make sure you're not conflating units. 2500 Mb/sec = about 312.5 MB/sec. (Theoretically, in a frictionless vacuum. Thanks, @johnt!) If you're only seeing about 100 MB/sec transfer speeds, then you've got a regular Gigabit connection.

FInally, if you do have 2.5 gig everything and an Internet plan fast enough to handle it, you still might be limited by the connections between you and whatever server you're connecting to over the Internet. If that's the case, there's not a whole lot you can do about it.

IS THERE A WAY I CAN TELL IF MY MODEM SUPPORTS 2.5 BY JUST LOOKING AT IT? I KNOW MY INTERNET PLAN IS 2.5. ITS STILL WEIRD THOUGH BECAUSE WHEN I HAD 2GB IT WORKED, AND ALL I DID WAS CHANGE ISPS & UPGRADE MY INTERNET PLAN, AND ITS CAPPED AT 1GB??? 

3 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Details. PC specs? Does it have a 2.5GbE capable NIC? What does that NIC connect to, any switches in between? Are they 2.5GbE capable? Is the port on your router/firewall 2.5GbE capable? What does Windows say as your link speed? 

Please don't type in all caps.

I HAVE A PRETTY GOOD PC, COST AROUND $1400 USD 6700XT & I5-12400F, SO I DONT THINK ITS THE PC. I UPGRADED FROM AT&T 2GB TO THIS LOCAL ISP 2.5 GBP. WHEN  I HAD AT&T I WAS GETTING 2GB SO I DONT THINK ITS THE CABLE. I ALSO BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE AND IT'S STILL CAPPED AT 1GB. I REDOWNLAODED ETHERNET DRIVERS TODAY AND STILL DIDN'T WORK. MY MB IS CAPABLE OF 2.5 GB!!!!! I SEE THERE IS A NEW DRIVER FOR MY MB, I DONT THINK THATS THE ISSUE CAUSE IT WAS WORKING PERFECTLY FINE WHEN I HAD 2GB, BUT SHOULD I JUST UPDATE THE DRIVERS ANYWAY???

LINK TO PC : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yQDghk

LINK TO NEW ETHERNET CABLE https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0875VL1CJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

LINK TO OLD ETHERNET CABLE : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NZGPAY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

What was it that you upgraded? Are you still using the same router and Ethernet cable as before?

STILL USING THE SAME ETHERNET CBALE. I CHANGED ISPS & ROUTERS 

I ALSO HAVE BEEN PLAYING WITH THE ADVANCED ETHERNET PROPERTIES.

I WENT

CONTROL PANEL - NETOWORK & INTERNET - NETWORK & SHARING CENTER - ETHERNET - PROPERTIES -  CONFIGURE - ADVANCED

AND TURNED OFF SOME SETTINGS LIKE GREEN ETHERNET, ENERGY EFFICIENT ETHERNET,  POWER SAVING MODE, AND OTHERS SHOULD I JUST RESET ALL OF THOSE???

5 minutes ago, Sheymin said:

IS THERE A WAY I CAN TELL IF MY MODEM SUPPORTS 2.5 BY JUST LOOKING AT IT? I KNOW MY INTERNET PLAN IS 2.5. ITS STILL WEIRD THOUGH BECAUSE WHEN I HAD 2GB IT WORKED, AND ALL I DID WAS CHANGE ISPS & UPGRADE MY INTERNET PLAN, AND ITS CAPPED AT 1GB??? 

Please turn caps lock off.

Your router and switches should say "2.5G" on them somewhere if they support 2.5 gig. You can also look up the model numbers, or post them here so we know what you're working with. (If we don't have the model numbers of your modem, router, and any switches between them and your PC, all we can do is guess.)

Did you change your modem/router/combo unit when you changed ISPs? If so, does the new unit have 2.5 gig LAN ports?

If you're capped at 1 gigabit, there's a regular Gigabit interface somewhere between your PC and your modem.

1 minute ago, Sheymin said:

I ALSO HAVE BEEN PLAYING WITH THE ADVANCED ETHERNET PROPERTIES.

I WENT

CONTROL PANEL - NETOWORK & INTERNET - NETWORK & SHARING CENTER - ETHERNET - PROPERTIES -  CONFIGURE - ADVANCED

AND TURNED OFF SOME SETTINGS LIKE GREEN ETHERNET, ENERGY EFFICIENT ETHERNET,  POWER SAVING MODE, AND OTHERS SHOULD I JUST RESET ALL OF THOSE???

Yeah, leave that stuff alone. If they weren't slowing you down before, they're not going to slow you down now.

3 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Please turn caps lock off.

Your router and switches should say "2.5G" on them somewhere if they support 2.5 gig. You can also look up the model numbers, or post them here so we know what you're working with. (If we don't have the model numbers of your modem, router, and any switches between them and your PC, all we can do is guess.)

Did you change your modem/router/combo unit when you changed ISPs? If so, does the new unit have 2.5 gig LAN ports?

If you're capped at 1 gigabit, there's a regular Gigabit interface somewhere between your PC and your modem.

Yeah, leave that stuff alone. If they weren't slowing you down before, they're not going to slow you down now.

link to router : https://www.mypremieronline.com/assets/documents/giga-spire-blast-u6.2-GS4227E-spec-sheet.pdf

i logged into my router from my pc and it says upstream rate is 2500mbps, and downstream is 2500mbps

1 minute ago, Sheymin said:

link to router : https://www.mypremieronline.com/assets/documents/giga-spire-blast-u6.2-GS4227E-spec-sheet.pdf

i logged into my router from my pc and it says upstream rate is 2500mbps, and downstream is 2500mbps

Your LAN interfaces are only rated up to gigabit. There's your bottleneck.

6 minutes ago, Sheymin said:

Thank you!

Your router's LAN interfaces are only regular Gigabit. You need a router/modem that supports 2.5 gig LAN.

That 2500/2500 is the WAN (Internet) side, so it is getting the speeds you're subscribed to from your ISP. Two wired devices on your LAN can download at their full Gigabit speed without bottlenecking each other, and any faster-than-Gigabit WiFi clients can connect to the Internet at their full speed.

image.png.ffc4364421aeecfccb0000e452b3fd9e.png