T-Mobile US customers with certain Samsung phones can SIM unlock with on-going EIP with this one weird trick...

Invincible Sugar

Summary

A glitch in T-Mobile's unlock services for recent Samsung phones including the S22, S23 and S24 family allow users to easily unlock their devices permanently even if they are still under contract or "EIP" arrangements, allowing users to use the dual-SIM feature with a second provider such as Verizon or AT&T without paying off the device early.

Quotes

It’s currently unclear how or why this unlock method works, but so far it’s only been seen to work on specifically Samsung devices on T-Mobile.

The steps are simple: users open the Settings app, then go to “Connections”. From there, open “More Connection Settings” and then tap “Network Unlock”. Request a “Temporary Unlock”, and shortly after that, request a “Permanent Unlock”. The device will then immediately become network unlocked, and even shows as unlocked on the user’s T-Mobile account.

My thoughts

While I understand why carriers lock phones under "free phone" contract deals or active financing, and I am aware it helps reduce fraud with people selling their "free" phones, at the end of the day paying +$1000 to buy your "free" phone just to unlock a feature like the dual SIM is absurd. Waiting 2 years for the contract to end is also absurd. As long as one of your two SIMs is on the T-Mobile line under contract you should be free to use the other space however you want.

Sources

https://tmo.report/2024/02/a-weird-glitch-is-letting-some-t-mobile-customers-network-unlock-their-samsung-phones-early/

https://reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/1aqkuyh/bug_allows_early_unlock_of_your_tmobile_samsung/

10 minutes ago, Invincible Sugar said:

As long as one of your two SIMs is on the T-Mobile line under contract you should be free to use the other space however you want.

I agree on this. 

Heck, as long as you're paying the bill for the phone, you should be allowed to go with whomever you want for the service.

Buy the phone with one carrier and use a different one for service. Not like these leeches were actually giving you a "deal" on the phones most of the time. With financing, you will end up paying more in the end anyway.

All that said, personally I just buy cheaper "mid range" phones out right instead of paying for it monthly. No contract needed. Can go with whichever provider offers the lowest fee for the most data without being held down.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Invincible Sugar said:

While I understand why carriers lock phones under "free phone" contract deals or active financing, and I am aware it helps reduce fraud with people selling their "free" phones, at the end of the day paying +$1000 to buy your "free" phone just to unlock a feature like the dual SIM is absurd. Waiting 2 years for the contract to end is also absurd. As long as one of your two SIMs is on the T-Mobile line under contract you should be free to use the other space however you want.

Ive never used a second sim when I had a phone that did have multiple sim slots. Its not really common in the US for my understanding. Most providers offer "Unlimited" plans. I know T Mobile offer calls, text, and data in Canada and Mexico at the very least on many of their plans. Granted data might be lacking a bit but is probably fine.

What exactly is the purpose of the second SIM?

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Ive never used a second sim when I had a phone that did have multiple sim slots. Its not really common in the US for my understanding. Most providers offer "Unlimited" plans. I know T Mobile offer calls, text, and data in Canada and Mexico at the very least on many of their plans. Granted data might be lacking a bit but is probably fine.

Business or crime 😉

wd-40 is god there is no other god than wd-40 wd-40 is the solution to all problems

7 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I have T-Mobile for my primary plan, postpaid Go5G Plus 11 voice lines for $112/mo taxes and fees included.

...T-Mobile is faster than Verizon or AT&T in town and at home for me. T-Mobile has 0 coverage at my work inside and outside, I need service from Verizon or AT&T at work.

So I use the second SIM on VIsible. It's $25/mo taxes/fees included, doesn't include free phones like T-Mobile does, or any real perks beyond unlimited data on a different network, but it does what I need at work. And once in a while, I also use it on the go or at home when T-Mobile is really slow, it's the fastest most of the time, but not 100% of the time.

Just now, Invincible Sugar said:

I have T-Mobile for my primary plan, postpaid Go5G Plus 11 voice lines for $112/mo taxes and fees included.

...T-Mobile is faster than Verizon or AT&T in town and at home for me. T-Mobile has 0 coverage at my work inside and outside, I need service from Verizon or AT&T at work.

So I use the second SIM on VIsible. It's $25/mo taxes/fees included, doesn't include free phones like T-Mobile does, or any real perks beyond unlimited data on a different network, but it does what I need at work. And once in a while, I also use it on the go or at home when T-Mobile is really slow, it's the fastest most of the time, but not 100% of the time.

Thats kinda an edge case however. Most people wont pay for two services. Like I said you just buy the phone out right. Or buy directly from the manufacture or an unlocked device and there isnt an issue. Because the people financing their device, if they cant afford the device they likely cant afford two service.

On the side note, how do you like Visible?

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Thats kinda an edge case however. Most people wont pay for two services. Like I said you just buy the phone out right. Or buy directly from the manufacture or an unlocked device and there isnt an issue. Because the people financing their device, if they cant afford the device they likely cant afford two service.

On the side note, how do you like Visible?

I don't think it's as rare as you think it is, it's fairly common in rural America...

I love Visible as a second service. The unlimited 5 Mbps hotspot can be really handy. But I would not be so sold on it as my primary service, as a heavy data user it can be slow.