Laptop not allowing Thunderbolt dock screens to be used

Go to solution Solved by The_Wooden_Stick,

https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/ux501vw/helpdesk_download/

So look for some drivers that i may have missed, found a thunderbolt firmware update util, ran that, and it seems to have solved the issue.

Good day, hope this finds you well

For work i have a WD19TB Dell Thunderbolt Dock, and a Asus ZenBook Pro UX501VW (personal laptop, this isnt a work thing problem 😞 , im on my own), in the bios the screens connected to the dock picking up and mirror the main display. But in windows, in in the display settings, it registers that the screens are connected, but i cannot change the "mirror/Extend" options from "disconected" when i do, the main screen will flash, then the display setting page will update (only if its set to mirror) then the "revert" option pops up, and the main screen will flash, and the display setting page will revert back, with the revert changes option still being present. I have updated every drive on this machine, fresh install, different screen cables, everything i can think of. It also does not pickup any of the USB devices connected to the dock in windows.

Does anyone have any idea, my thoughts of it being different thunderbolt gens being the issue might be true, but why would the bios pick up the conected screens, but not windows.

Screenshot 2024-02-10 184420.png

Screenshot 2024-02-10 184432.png

Try with 2,3 and 4 screens connected.

I think this is more an issue of running out of bandwith/going over maximum displays when at a certain resolution.

36 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Try with 2,3 and 4 screens connected.

I think this is more an issue of running out of bandwith/going over maximum displays when at a certain resolution.

Doesn't seem to be the case, USB devices still not picked up, and with a single screen im getting the same behaviour 😞 

1 hour ago, The_Wooden_Stick said:

my thoughts of it being different thunderbolt gens being the issue

What version of Thunderbolt does your laptop have and what version of Thunderbolt is your dock?

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

What version of Thunderbolt does your laptop have and what version of Thunderbolt is your dock?

So i just Checked the interwebs, they are both gen 3, so that idea is wrong. . . thought the laptop was gen2 with its age.

53 minutes ago, The_Wooden_Stick said:

Doesn't seem to be the case, USB devices still not picked up, and with a single screen im getting the same behaviour 😞 

Since you just have ,tb 3 it should work.

Does the dock work with other device(s)?

At least it should be a usb dock.

We do have these at work and they frankly suck massively and do not play well with non dell devices but usually they function

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Since you just have ,tb 3 it should work.

Does the dock work with other device(s)?

At least it should be a usb dock.

We do have these at work and they frankly suck massively and do not play well with non dell devices but usually they function

Yes, works perfectly with the work Dell latitude, others in the company have used their Asus tuffs with the dock perfectly fine though.