view cameras on different network

Flawizz

hi, i'm trying to view a few cameras through a program called agent dvr.

i can't view them unless i'm connected to the same network

is there a way to still view the cameras without connecting to the same network?

this might help visualize

Is the modem here a router modem combo?

Typically here you want to port forward what you want to view on the router on the right in the diagram, and them put the ip of the router in your computer to view it.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Is the modem here a router modem combo?

Typically here you want to port forward what you want to view on the router on the right in the diagram, and them put the ip of the router in your computer to view it.

yes it is a router modem combo.

could you please explain it in a bit more detail, im new to this stuff 😅

3 minutes ago, Flawizz said:

yes it is a router modem combo.

could you please explain it in a bit more detail, im new to this stuff 😅

Is there a reason why you have a second network? I'd just make it all part of the same network here to make it simpler.

But with this config you want to setup port forward rules on the router so you can access the cameras from the main network. Not sure how on your specific router, but there should be a port forwarding setting, and then put the IP of the camera and the port, and then you can access it from the main network.

Ok from what I am seeing there are some solutions.

Is your main network operating in the Class B or C range? If B (subnet 255.255.0.0) then your current ip setup will work. If it is C (255.255.255.0 subnet) it won't without ether changing the ip range assigned via your DHCP on the "modem" aka gateway, or just letting the next change assign them a class C in that subnet.

So, you have a "router" setup with 4 cameras. Looking at the application this is probably a POE DVR serving as a router. On most of these you can actually change them to operate as a switch. Now depending on the model of the unit the steps for that will change. Feel free to post back more information as needed.

You essentially just want to have that DVR router function as a switch and use the DHCP provided from your modem/gateway device.

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Is there a reason why you have a second network? I'd just make it all part of the same network here to make it simpler.

But with this config you want to setup port forward rules on the router so you can access the cameras from the main network. Not sure how on your specific router, but there should be a port forwarding setting, and then put the IP of the camera and the port, and then you can access it from the main network.

i seperated me and my brothers pc from the rest since we're heavy users and wanna have priority/full connection without interruption.

my router is ax1500, i entered the correct ip but i'm not sure about the port, on the tplink camera site it says port 554, i set one camera to 554, but i cant set the second camera to 554. still neither show up on the program.

29 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Ok from what I am seeing there are some solutions.

Is your main network operating in the Class B or C range? If B (subnet 255.255.0.0) then your current ip setup will work. If it is C (255.255.255.0 subnet) it won't without ether changing the ip range assigned via your DHCP on the "modem" aka gateway, or just letting the next change assign them a class C in that subnet.

So, you have a "router" setup with 4 cameras. Looking at the application this is probably a POE DVR serving as a router. On most of these you can actually change them to operate as a switch. Now depending on the model of the unit the steps for that will change. Feel free to post back more information as needed.

You essentially just want to have that DVR router function as a switch and use the DHCP provided from your modem/gateway device.

i assume c, ipconfig says 255.255.255.0, dont know if thats the correct place to look.

i also have a more detailed visual if it matters

18 minutes ago, Flawizz said:

i seperated me and my brothers pc from the rest since we're heavy users and wanna have priority/full connection without interruption.

my router is ax1500, i entered the correct ip but i'm not sure about the port, on the tplink camera site it says port 554, i set one camera to 554, but i cant set the second camera to 554. still neither show up on the program.

Typically seperating the network that way isn't gonna help performace for your/brothers PC, so I don't see that helping. Its probably better if everything is under your router and you use QOS to give priority to the PC you want to have the best performance.

What IP do you mean by correct IP? You want to put in the IP of the router, and then the port on the port forward, so 554 here.

15 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Typically seperating the network that way isn't gonna help performace for your/brothers PC, so I don't see that helping. Its probably better if everything is under your router and you use QOS to give priority to the PC you want to have the best performance.

What IP do you mean by correct IP? You want to put in the IP of the router, and then the port on the port forward, so 554 here.

by correct ip i mean the ip of the camera as you said.

this is how its set up on the router

i might just connect the computers to the same router and see if theres no problems just keep it like that.

41 minutes ago, Flawizz said:

All you have done is create a double nat scenario on your end. You are not increasing your bandwidth since you both have unfettered access to the main modem. All you have managed to do is create a scenario where items behind your router are unreacheable on the rest of the internal network and if you do any multiplayer games have created a double nat scenario which can impact your multiplayer experience.

4 minutes ago, Flawizz said:

by correct ip i mean the ip of the camera as you said.

this is how its set up on the router

i might just connect the computers to the same router and see if theres no problems just keep it like that.

Making one big network makes a lot more sense to me here. 

On your PC you want to put the IP of the second router as the IP. You can't access the IP directly as that second router is using NAT.  You can't access the Camera IP directly.

3 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

All you have done is create a double nat scenario on your end. You are not increasing your bandwidth since you both have unfettered access to the main modem. All you have managed to do is create a scenario where items behind your router are unreacheable on the rest of the internal network and if you do any multiplayer games have created a double nat scenario which can impact your multiplayer experience.

so i should not even have the router, just hook everything up to the modem?

the problem is that its hard to manage, very few settings and can only manage through my isps slow site. which is why i went for a tplink router.

47 minutes ago, Flawizz said:

the problem is that its hard to manage, very few settings and can only manage through my isps slow site. which is why i went for a tplink router.

Or you put the gateway in bridge mode (makes it a normal modem) and then use your router as the primary routing device.

2 hours ago, Flawizz said:

ISP gateway (bridge mode) > TP-Link router > Switch > all cameras + PCs + etc.

All one network. No double NAT. Can access all cameras.

i changed things around, i can now view all the cams, this is how its set up rn.

if i want to port forward something do i just put the AX1500 routers ip in the modems DMZ and port forward through the ax1500 router?

1 hour ago, Flawizz said:

i changed things around, i can now view all the cams, this is how its set up rn.

if i want to port forward something do i just put the AX1500 routers ip in the modems DMZ and port forward through the ax1500 router?

As mentioned above, ideally you put the ISP modem into bridge mode rather than DMZ as there are less things to go wrong then all your own router gets the public IP address (assuming its not CG-NAT already).

If you can't then yes, putting your router as the DMZ forwards all ports to that so you then only need to do manual port forwards on your own router.  But its still double-NAT which can still cause issues sometimes.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

As mentioned above, ideally you put the ISP modem into bridge mode rather than DMZ as there are less things to go wrong then all your own router gets the public IP address (assuming its not CG-NAT already).

If you can't then yes, putting your router as the DMZ forwards all ports to that so you then only need to do manual port forwards on your own router.  But its still double-NAT which can still cause issues sometimes.

okay thanks, isp does not allow bridge mode sadly. they say its coming soon tho.

3 hours ago, Flawizz said:

okay thanks, isp does not allow bridge mode sadly. they say its coming soon tho.

Honestly, you were doubled nat'ing yourself before. A little while longer while they bring that feature isn't going to be a big issue (unless your brother had a much different use case).

Now that you have changed your network setup... this might be a good time to look into enabling and setting up QOS. Be warned that QOS does some inspections that could reduce your network speed a little. The impact entirely depends on your ISP speeds and the processing power of your ax1500.

*edit* The ax1500 has a Tri Core 1.5ghz processor. With your current network size I am guessing it should be able to handle 1gb with QOS on.

Does your ISP allow you to use a 3rd party router? If so you can remove the first "modem" (which is also a router..lets call it the "Gateway"). Then use your router, and plug your switch into that if you have a need for it. 

As has been said...without a half bridge, youre "NATing" yourself.

Essentially you're firewalling the other network off. 

If you have to use your ISPs gateway; You can try adding the second router to the DMZ on the first router if it has that.

See if that helps as a workaround to no bridge support. 

Having another router wont do anything for performance. It might even out the load across devices connected to that router using QoS, however it will have no effect on the "WAN" (Internet connection) since that's being distributed by the Gateway. 

You should generally only have one Router (Gateway) in a network. Interconnecting multiple networks requires more features than it seems you have between your 3rd party router and the gateway. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA