Rtx 3060 8gb or rtx 3060 12gb?

Mohammad0933

In many games like alan wake 2 system requirements says that you need an rtx 3060 but which version ? Because 12 gb version is more powerful , but 8gb version is even weaker than a 2060 super ( because of vram Bandwidth and memory bus) so which one is right 12gb or 8gb ?

8 minutes ago, Mohammad0933 said:

In many games like alan wake 2 system requirements says that you need an rtx 3060 but which version ? Because 12 gb version is more powerful , but 8gb version is even weaker than a 2060 super ( because of vram Bandwidth and memory bus) so which one is right 12gb or 8gb ?

i didn't even know they had an 8gb. but in that case you gotta check your vram ussage if it isnt too high and you aren't having lag spikes due to that id do the lower 8gb one. but overall over time the 12gb would be more future proof in ram usage. performance not really. the 3060 isnt a bad card but if you are wanting to get something a little better

the only card id rec in 8gb from nvidia is the 3070/3070ti. unless your picking the 40 series which really isnt worth it.... 

used is a good idea but only if you can find a deal  

but 

if you dont have the money the 8gb would work 12gb would be a better option esp. if you can find it used in decent shape for not whole lot.

the cut down versions of each card etc from the past seem to really differ. if you are looking for something cheap to get you through gaming 8gb would be fine but 12gb would do you much better down the road.

Neither a rx6700xt should be very similar priced and is just better.

Unless they specify otherwise I'd assume 12GB since that model has been the standard offering for the longest time. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

give up dlss

give up video upscaling

as for the OP don't buy a 3060 ive had mine for 2 years and its beginning to show its age. I can no longer do anything in 4k all low at above 30fps. if you have a big backlog of older titles its primo go for it, but if this is all the money you have wait save some more.

@Mohammad0933 

Didn't even know an 8 gig version existed. You didn't even mention your budget which makes the 12 gigs a no-brainer, but even if you are on a budget (which you likely are because then why would you buy a 3060?), then the 12 gigs is still going to be way future proof. And yes, Alan Wake 2 will engulf your memory as if it were Chrome. Although if you are on a tighter budget, AMD has greater value offerings.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

Unless it specifies, assume that they mean the RTX 3060 12GB, as it was the original version. Before the 8GB version existed, there was no need to specify, so no games did - because why would they? And for games that came out after the 8GB version, I'd still assume they mean the 12GB one, because it's far more common.