Child keeps destroying USB cables

One of my buddies has a son who has autism. His kid doesn't really have control and the know better to not just rip USB cables out and break them. I've seen magnetic USB cables can be really dangerous to your devices but I would like to be able to offer him some suggestions. Are their any good magnetic USB cables for his sons type C tablet. He has broken every single USB cable my friend has. What else can he do?

Just throwing out ideas, but perhaps retrofitting wireless charging to the tablet could also be a solution. 

Nillkin Magic Tag Qi Wireless Charger Receiver Chip for USB Type-C Smart  Phones (Type-C Long Version) : Amazon.ca: Electronics

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Just throwing out ideas, but perhaps retrofitting wireless charging to the tablet could also be a solution. 

Not great for efficiency, and you would sort of lose data function; might not be that big of an issue though.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

10 minutes ago, Bismut said:

Not great for efficiency, and you would sort of lose data function; might not be that big of an issue though.

I presume since the tablet is for a child, that port isn't going to be used for data much. It'll be used for charging 99% of the time. And as for efficiency, well the minimal increase in the electricity bill would likely be outweighed by the number of cables being replaced over a year. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

And as for efficiency, well the minimal increase in the electricity bill would likely be outweighed by the number of cables being replaced over a year. 

Oh yeah right
Although it feels like there is a chance of the kid playing with the charging pad instead?

Trans Rights!

15 minutes ago, Bismut said:

Although it feels like there is a chance of the kid playing with the charging pad instead?

They make cases that are wireless charging "friendly"? 

1 minute ago, OhioYJ said:

They make cases that are wireless charging "friendly"? 

I guess you could just slap the charging pad under a case, yeah. Depends on if you have one, and I would not stop see why you would stop at a cable, although I am not psychologist.

Trans Rights!

32 minutes ago, Bismut said:

I guess you could just slap the charging pad under a case, yeah. Depends on if you have one, and I would not stop see why you would stop at a cable, although I am not psychologist.

That's how many of these are marketed. In theory the flex cable is thin enough to fit underneath the case and be protected by it. 

Type C Qi Wireless Charging Receiver, Magic Tag USB C Wireless Charger  Adapter Patch Module Chip Ultra Thin for Google Pixel 2XL-XL-LG V20- LG G5-  Motorola G6- G6 Plus- HTC 10- Samsung

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

That's how many of these are marketed. In theory the flex cable is thin enough to fit underneath the case and be protected by it. 

That is what I expected, but I usually fiddle with my phone case when my hands are not busy, so I am unsure whether this is a solition. I guess it is on the childs parent to decide, and to OP to pass on the information

Trans Rights!

3 hours ago, Bismut said:

That is what I expected, but I usually fiddle with my phone case when my hands are not busy, so I am unsure whether this is a solition. I guess it is on the childs parent to decide, and to OP to pass on the information

The tablet has one of those super thick kids cases on it so I don't think wireless charging would work for it. 

On 1/27/2024 at 5:21 PM, Dusenberrypie said:

The tablet has one of those super thick kids cases on it so I don't think wireless charging would work for it. 

That would be a problem, but maybe we can still duck tape (or with other less red-neck methods) the pad outside of the case? But then again I guess an additional DIY stand or support might be needed to ensure a good contact between the charging pads..

One more thing thought, wireless charging itself could be pretty slow. For example, I had an Samsung S10e that would only charge at 4W with the Samsung wireless charging. This is less a problem with a phone because it will usually just takes 2 hours to charge it. But for a tablet, which has bigger batteries and designed to be charged triple if not quadruple that speed, it could potentially took waaaaaaay too long to charge to be feasible for your mate, depending on how often they uses it.

So I still think magnetic cable could be the way to go, but unfortunately I personally do not have any experience with those so I couldn't contribute anything on that topic. Sorry

I'm not sure how to interpret this

If the kid is breaking cables, then just don't have the kid hanging around with cables

If he can't have control of the kid then either seal the kid or your valuable stuff

I don't see how wireless and magnetic charging would be any different, you just change the form factor or the location of the cable 

If the device is his own, I dunno how can you break cables that easily either, is he like using scissors? How he is managing to break each cable?

Growing up, if i broke something my parents got me, i didn't get another. 

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

On 2/3/2024 at 11:19 AM, 12345678 said:

If the device is his own, I dunno how can you break cables that easily either, is he like using scissors? How he is managing to break each cable?

5 hours ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

Growing up, if i broke something my parents got me, i didn't get another. 

My dudes, have you not read the original post, where OP describes that the kid has autism and lacks either the cognitive or fine motor skills to not just rip out the cables? Just reading the topic headline sometimes isn't enough.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

18 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

My dudes, have you not read the original post, where OP describes that the kid has autism and lacks either the cognitive or fine motor skills to not just rip out the cables? Just reading the topic headline sometimes isn't enough.

Nor do you?

If he keeps breaking cables, then locking cables or him up to some place may be a solution to prevent him of breaking cables 

Suggesting different types of cables/form factors, isn't any helpfull since you still deal with cables, likely they break too. The endpoint game, is to find how (and maybe why, unless cognition is like totally absent) he does break cables, and act on that

Like if he plays with the cable like an antistress, then try to give him alternatives or try to reinforce other behaviors

18 hours ago, 12345678 said:

locking cables or him up to some place may be a solution

Explore no GIFs

Locking up children is generally frowned upon.

Im more interested how the hell did the USB port survive?

Since im assuming the cables were being ripped at perpendicular or worse angle.

On 2/3/2024 at 11:19 AM, 12345678 said:

The connector plug and bit of cable that is close to the connector plug are common failure points even in normal operation.

3 hours ago, JovanD said:

The connector plug and bit of cable that is close to the connector plug are common failure points even in normal operation.

For a phone, the solution is to use the wireless charging, resort to wireless means of transferring data/sync. For most other devices, you pretty much need to switch to bluetooth.

And yes, those are always weak points, especially when you're klutz and regularly knock/drag things off the desk. One way I was able to solve this with the iPhone is to keep the phone in a tripod mount, so you remove the charging cable before you can loosen the tripod grip. Unfortunately this destroys rubber bumpers on phones, so you'd want a plastic case for that.

At any rate, usually the solution to "my kid/cat/dog keeps damaging (device name)'s cables" is to either make the room off-limits to whom is doing the damage, or to place such items at a height that they can't get it themselves. That can lead to other dangerous like climbing shelves, so personally, if I just wanted to prevent this kind of damage, I'd put the tablet in a lockable desk drawer and run the charger to the inside of it. Not usually a smart idea since this usually results in cables being torn up in other ways.

Magnetic charging solutions are a solution but usually not with a child, since they might just play with the magnetic charging bit and break that instead.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 2:13 PM, Dusenberrypie said:

One of my buddies has a son who has autism. His kid doesn't really have control and the know better to not just rip USB cables out and break them. I've seen magnetic USB cables can be really dangerous to your devices but I would like to be able to offer him some suggestions. Are their any good magnetic USB cables for his sons type C tablet. He has broken every single USB cable my friend has. What else can he do?

On 1/27/2024 at 7:21 PM, Dusenberrypie said:

What kind of tablet is it? iPad?

Is this just the charging cable? If so, Darth had a good suggestion.

For headphones, you can always go bluetooth.

22 hours ago, Darth Xaim said:

Not sure if this would suit your needs, especially with the pricing.

https://rammount.com/pages/gds®-uni-conn™

The case and attachments who convert the port to use pogo pins so that it would be more durable.

Have a look.

On 2/5/2024 at 1:10 AM, 12345678 said:

Nor do you?

If he keeps breaking cables, then locking cables or him up to some place may be a solution to prevent him of breaking cables 

Suggesting different types of cables/form factors, isn't any helpfull since you still deal with cables, likely they break too. The endpoint game, is to find how (and maybe why, unless cognition is like totally absent) he does break cables, and act on that

Like if he plays with the cable like an antistress, then try to give him alternatives or try to reinforce other behaviors

Tablets and other devices can be crucial for kids with Autism. 

Sometimes that's their only way of communicating. It's not as simple as removing the device. 

On 2/5/2024 at 7:50 PM, Erioch said:

Locking up children is generally frowned upon.

Actual photo of this guy.

spacer.png

@StarsMars ???? Why was my comment referenced?

or am I missing something?

edit.

nvm, just re-read it. 

How is he breaking the cables? Is he just bending them or forcing the end into devices and breaking them?

If it’s the former, then recommending some fidget toys to give the kid and getting something like the magnetic cable management tools that are coming out on LTTstore.com soon might be a good idea.

If it’s the latter, then as other people has said, fitting the devices with wireless charging or having other people plug in his devices for him might be a good idea.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.