Seeking G-PON to RJ11 and RJ45 Converter - Need Recommendations

Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
11 hours ago, DNYANDEEP said:

What do you recommend?

Contact the ISP and have them fix the issue. It could be faulty equipment. Also @Alex Atkin UK makes a great point about power. We fried 3 or 4 cable boxes before figuring out one of the power lines coming from the pole to the house was loose. After the power company fixed the issue our power became stable. If you have unstable power it could cause issues for equipment. I would look at getting a Line Interactive UPS, the one I have was about $170 USD and with my Modem, router and NAS connected I get about 2 hours or so worth of internet when the power goes out, the NAS shuts down after 2 minutes. With a line interactive model it will smooth the power out, at least on the outlets that have battery backup (not all the outlets on my UPS are battery backup up). 

In my quest for a G-PON to RJ11 and RJ45 converter, I came across the UISP Fiber XG on the Ubiquiti site. However, it seems to only support RJ45 and not RJ11. Given the necessity for an RJ11 connection in my setup for calling purposes, I'm reaching out to the community for recommendations on alternatives or if there are other products that fulfill both requirements.

I've attached a picture for your reference. Your expertise and advice, especially if you've encountered a similar situation, would be immensely valuable.

Thank you for your assistance!

IMG_20240114_035025.jpg

4 minutes ago, DNYANDEEP said:

G-PON to RJ11 and RJ45 converter

What you are looking for a is a modem/router that supports and telephone connection, not a "converter". This also has to be supported by your ISP, if it is you can ask them if they can supply one to you.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

For the RJ11 to RJ45, you will want what is called an ATA, or Analog Telephone Adapter. You just plug it into an ethernet port one side, and phone into other, then you have full VoIP capabilities. You would want to contact your VoIP provider to see what they support for provisioning if you didn't already. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 hours ago, Levent said:

What you are looking for a is a modem/router that supports and telephone connection, not a "converter". This also has to be supported by your ISP, if it is you can ask them if they can supply one to you.

I am ok with anything modem and router both are ok with me I just need it to be of a good brand since the one provided by ISP stops working after few weeks and they take days to provide another 

Edited by DNYANDEEP

48 minutes ago, DNYANDEEP said:

I am ok with anything modem and router both are ok with me I just need it to be of a good brand since the one provided by ISP stops working after few weeks and they take days to provide another 

I think you missed the point.

Many fiber ISPs will generally not allow you to use your own ONT. The one you have there is an internet gateway. The reason for this restriction is that the ISP-supplied device has credentials and other customer-identifying information on it that authorizes it for use on the ISP’s network. Many ISPs also will have a management “back door” into the device so changes can be pushed as needed. If you use your own device, it’s very difficult for them to regulate your account.

That’s not to say that you can’t use your own edge device. You can ask for a media converter that will allow you to use your own router. Some business accounts have the privilege of using all of their own hardware. However, all of these things depends on your ISP; if they don’t allow any of their hardware to be replaced, then that’s what you have to live with.

3 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

I think you missed the point.

Many fiber ISPs will generally not allow you to use your own ONT. The one you have there is an internet gateway. The reason for this restriction is that the ISP-supplied device has credentials and other customer-identifying information on it that authorizes it for use on the ISP’s network. Many ISPs also will have a management “back door” into the device so changes can be pushed as needed. If you use your own device, it’s very difficult for them to regulate your account.

That’s not to say that you can’t use your own edge device. You can ask for a media converter that will allow you to use your own router. Some business accounts have the privilege of using all of their own hardware. However, all of these things depends on your ISP; if they don’t allow any of their hardware to be replaced, then that’s what you have to live with.

I'm facing a dilemma – should I switch my ISP or pay more for access to better components? The current provider offers the best value in terms of both price and speed compared to others charging double for half the speed. What do you recommend?

4 hours ago, DNYANDEEP said:

I'm facing a dilemma – should I switch my ISP or pay more for access to better components? The current provider offers the best value in terms of both price and speed compared to others charging double for half the speed. What do you recommend?

What exactly is the problem you're experiencing with the existing hardware? You never stated this. What are you hoping having your own hardware will do?

Sorry, just read the other post.

8 hours ago, DNYANDEEP said:

since the one provided by ISP stops working after few weeks and they take days to provide another 

Why does it take the ISP to replace the device to get it working again? This sounds like an ISP side problem, which plugging your own gateway in might not solve the problem.

Who is your ISP? Have you even tried calling them to find out what they recommend? We can't predict what your ISP's practices are. In places like the USA where laws allow coaxial/cable users to replace the ISP-provided cable modems, that isn't necessarily the case in other parts of the world. Fiber tends to be a special scenario.

Some gateways will allow you to at least turn off router/firewall functions through a "bridge" or "passthrough" mode. You can then attach your own router/firewall to the gateway and get some degree of control there. In my situation, my fiber ISP does not allow hardware replacement nor do they have gateway devices that have passthrough mode. The customer network is all CG-NAT. So you either settle or run another layer of NAT with your own router and recognize the consequences of doing that.

10 hours ago, DNYANDEEP said:

Nokia are highly regarded in this field, so I kinda doubt its their fault here.  If anything I would suspect these ISPs offering half the speed would be using inferior components to what you have now.  FTTP is a lot more reliable and uses less power than copper services.

If the hardware is failing so frequently I'd be more inclined to think you have a power problem in the house that is killing them.  Are you using a surge protector?  Have you tried a 12V UPS as a replacement for the stock PSU?  What exactly is failing, the entire gateway, just the phone service, the broadband?

There's a multitude of places you can get VoIP too other than your ISP, given such a service can work over any Internet connection.  I can login to my VoIP service from my mobile (though I have a DECT base station and house phones) and make calls cheaper than and with better quality than my cell service, ISP provided services are often more limited with higher call charges than third-party ones.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

11 hours ago, DNYANDEEP said:

What do you recommend?

Contact the ISP and have them fix the issue. It could be faulty equipment. Also @Alex Atkin UK makes a great point about power. We fried 3 or 4 cable boxes before figuring out one of the power lines coming from the pole to the house was loose. After the power company fixed the issue our power became stable. If you have unstable power it could cause issues for equipment. I would look at getting a Line Interactive UPS, the one I have was about $170 USD and with my Modem, router and NAS connected I get about 2 hours or so worth of internet when the power goes out, the NAS shuts down after 2 minutes. With a line interactive model it will smooth the power out, at least on the outlets that have battery backup (not all the outlets on my UPS are battery backup up). 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.