Rabbit R1, can it replace the use of smart phone apps in the future?

Spart0n

Summary

The Rabbit R1 is a new type of personal assistant that might one day replace the use of a smart phone. It runs a new kind AI they call a Large Action Model because it was trained on people using apps instead of language models.rabbit_r1_front.thumb.jpg.ca45fdb1863eb2d095a64058e71b5c7b.jpg

Quotes

"Rather than build a bunch of APIs and try to convince developers to support the R1, though, Rabbit trained its model on how to use existing apps for itself. The large action model, or LAM, was trained by humans interacting with apps like Spotify and Uber, essentially showing the model how they work. The LAM learned what a Settings icon looked like, how to know when an order was confirmed, and where the search menus are. All that, Lyu says, can be applied to any app anywhere."

My thoughts

This looks super promising and really cool but it is really early on in development to know if this is going be as good as they make it sound but what is everyone's thoughts on this?

Sources

https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/9/24030667/rabbit-r1-ai-action-model-price-release-date

Update: let me preface this with idk how accurate this but here's a report that the company sold out of its unit of the rabbit R1 in 1 day which was 10k units  https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/10/24033498/rabbit-r1-sold-out-ces-ai

Edited by Spart0n

"Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling... Makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary. The definition is blurred. If I'm to choose between one evil and another... I'd rather not choose at all." -Geralt of Riva

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." -Q

Tempus Fugit

Essentially a phone with just the smart assistant and nothing else. Great for the elderly but useless for everyone else.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

9 minutes ago, Spart0n said:

Summary

The Rabbit R1 is a new type of personal assistant that might one day replace the use of a smart phone. It runs a new kind AI they call a Large Action Model because it was trained on people using apps instead of language models.rabbit_r1_front.thumb.jpg.ca45fdb1863eb2d095a64058e71b5c7b.jpg

Quotes

My thoughts

This looks super promising and really cool but it is really early on in development to know if this is going be as good as they make it sound but what is everyone's thoughts on this?

Sources

https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/9/24030667/rabbit-r1-ai-action-model-price-release-date

So it's just a smartphone that can't make calls?

from the article it seems like they're aiming for a personal assistant that can use apps for you so you can have less screen time (hopefully that's the goal at least)

"Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling... Makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary. The definition is blurred. If I'm to choose between one evil and another... I'd rather not choose at all." -Geralt of Riva

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." -Q

Tempus Fugit

So, when are we getting an AI that runs an AI that runs an AI that runs an AI that runs…

…for you?

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

3 hours ago, Spart0n said:

from the article it seems like they're aiming for a personal assistant that can use apps for you so you can have less screen time (hopefully that's the goal at least)

Less screen time, because you spend all the time screaming at the dumb assistant because it started playing "We Will Rock You" at funeral when you just wanted to check the time...

Sounds very ambitious and I'm not sure I understand how it works out why you'd want this. I kind of doubt this will be any good, but who knows... Maybe this will be the future. I doubt it though. 

DOA

Calling It now. At least jibo will have someone to play with

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Update: let me preface this with idk how accurate this but here's a report that the company sold out of its unit of the rabbit R1 in 1 day which was 10k units

https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/10/24033498/rabbit-r1-sold-out-ces-ai

Tempus Fugit

Doubt that plaything has enough grunt to run any sort of AI/LLM, probably a thin&light frontend to an expensive cloud backend........

3 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Doubt that plaything has enough grunt to run any sort of AI/LLM, probably a thin&light frontend to an expensive cloud backend........

That's exactly what it is. There might be an NPU for visual recognition, but the GPT is in the the cloud.

Anyways, why would I give my personal information to a company I know very little about. How secure is that data, and how might it be used and sold?

They're on the AI hype-train. Why wouldn't I instead just use an Amazon Alexa device, Google Assistant speaker, or Apple Siri. Ok, so Siri is dumb as rocks...for now. I expect all of these services to migrate over to GPT at some point anyways, and at least they're the devil that I know vs one I don't.

Answer to the title: No.

Nothing more needs to be said.

--Dominik W

(What else do you need, this is just a signature, plus I have them disabled 😅)

if it doesn't run it's shit locally, then i dont want it.

I don't even use smart assistants. My coworkers think I'm weird, but then they have issues(Siri not understanding the text, or trying to use it with a poor internet connection), and get frustrated. I also think I end up doing things faster than waiting on Siri to respond, and I don't rely on my internet connection for the specific task.

Overall, smart assistants just seem like they're more of a hassle than they're worth, including this one.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

On 1/11/2024 at 7:22 PM, da na said:

Seems like 200 units will sell and the servers running the backend will get shut down after a year, making it a very expensive paperweight.

Either that or they'll just "change" their business model.

Selling personal data, trapping costumers into a subscription, some crypto BS or a good old IPO scam.

If it's just a thin client that relies on a cloud service to do the heavy lifting, why wouldn't they release it as a smartphone app and leverage that immense install base of existing devices?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

4 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

If it's just a thin client that relies on a cloud service to do the heavy lifting, why wouldn't they release it as a smartphone app and leverage that immense install base of existing devices?

According to the founder he said an app to use other apps wasn't really practical, which kinda makes sense from a development standpoint.

Tempus Fugit

To be fair, if they tried to do the same on iOS or Android it would be restricted too much by Apple or Google.