ESDF is better than WASD in every way.

MedievalMatt

Using ESDF instead of WASD for movement in games is objectively better.

You gain 4 extra keys to map to functions (wqaz) which can easily be hit by your pinky.  As well as still retaining relatively easy access to control, alt, shift, and tab.

You also gain an additional 1 or 2 numbers you can reach, from 1-7 instead of 1-5 within relatively easy reach.

You also gain 6 extra keys on the left which are very easy to get to.

In terms of making the most number of actions and functions available on a single hand with relative ease of access, ESDF is better.

Change my mind.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

nobody-cares-498-x-498-gif-wx4nl0l79fg860c4.webp

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

you know, I've never thought about it but I just laid my fingers down and it even feels more natural since you're index finger falls right to the F key anyway for normal keyboard input.

Wonder why it never caught on.

The only con I can think of, is that now you're likely remapping a bunch of other commands as well, having to do it on each different game, and sometimes when something happens and a game goes back to default it's an annoyance rather than trying to stick with default binds.

I know this because I'm a lefty, and map everything to the numpad, which I love, except for everything I mentioned above. The more complicated the game, the more annoying it all is.

The idea that I could just boot up a game, and likely be 99% happy with the keybinds by default is a dream for me.

But otherwise, yes, if I were a WASD guy, I could see ESDF being preferable. Perhaps it should be the default.

You know what's so great about PC gaming? Most games let you completely remap the controls to how you want them.

Maybe it's the slightly different ISO layout we use in Germany, but for me ESDF just feels wrong. My pinky doesn't neatly sit on one key like it does with the left shift. And so far i didn't encounter a scenario where i need more keybinds than what the WASD area and my mouse offered.

And please don't state your opinion and then say "objectively better" in the same context. That's not how objectivity works.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

13 hours ago, MedievalMatt said:

Change my mind.

Why? It works for you, why should others care or try to change your mind?

19 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

And please don't state your opinion and then say "objectively better" in the same context. That's not how objectivity works.

Perhaps i could have phrased that better.  To be more verbose, and therefore accurate I will rephrase.

In my own testing and daily use I have found ESDF to be more performant for me than WASD.  It is therefore my opinion that ESDF is superior based on objective testing and data analysis.

All that being said, i think its possible to have an opinion which is backed up by objective data and have that opinion be that something is better/worse.  That opinion, being based on objective data, can be that something in objectively better/worse.  Being an opinion leaves open the possibility that it is incorrect, and that others have the ability to disagree.  Objectivity in this context implies that there is no subjective data taken into the opinion.

While that is, of course, impossible to do.  We are all biased in our own subconscious ways.  I still feel like what i said is valid.  Also its a figure of speech I used and so some level of abstraction is warranted.

Got way off topic there, lol.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

56 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

Perhaps i could have phrased that better.  To be more verbose, and therefore accurate I will rephrase.

In my own testing and daily use I have found ESDF to be more performant for me than WASD.  It is therefore my opinion that ESDF is superior based on objective testing and data analysis.

All that being said, i think its possible to have an opinion which is backed up by objective data and have that opinion be that something is better/worse.  That opinion, being based on objective data, can be that something in objectively better/worse.  Being an opinion leaves open the possibility that it is incorrect, and that others have the ability to disagree.  Objectivity in this context implies that there is no subjective data taken into the opinion.

While that is, of course, impossible to do.  We are all biased in our own subconscious ways.  I still feel like what i said is valid.  Also its a figure of speech I used and so some level of abstraction is warranted.

Got way off topic there, lol.

Where is the objective data? All I see is your subjective opinion.

Just now, Blue4130 said:

Where is the objective data? All I see is your subjective opinion.

In my original post i mention that there are additional keys available outside of those easily reachable with WASD.  Which is the "data" in this context.  More of my keyboard is available to me with my left hand (which isnt abnormally large) using ESDF than with WASD.  This is objectively true for me, and has made playing games both easier (less RSI) and more enjoyable.

Those last 2 points are mostly subjective, as not everyone suffers RSI issues like I do and may not derive any "enjoyment" from decent or terrible control mappings in games, and i left those out as they are specific to me in a way that my other points are not.  Anyone with average and above size hands would benefit from using ESDF as more buttons is usually more better, and being able to reach more buttons without strain is also usually more better (this is my opinion).  Not everyone would find it more comfortable/natural.

I hope that helps to clarify.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server