Omni Directional dreamill for Oculus Rift

Slick

It looks like you move in the direction the treadmill wants to, not the other way around. Not really sure how well that would work. 

Also, I like how the guy moves that lady out of the way near the beginning of the video xD

Like the idea but I don't see this working in sync with fast paced games where you have to change directions in a split second.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

well, it does go in all directions but are they controlling that thing manually? either way i think latency accuracy and speed might be a problem, looks like you could easily walk off that thing, now imagine putting 100% faith in that while having a screen strapped to your face, i see injuries and broken equipment, this might be amazing and all but it is considerably less cool the moment have to keep in mind how you use the equipment at all times to avoid screwing up, breaks immersion which is what vr is all about.

Like the idea but I don't see this working in sync with fast paced games where you have to change directions in a split second.

i imagine it being more for big cinematic exploration games rather than a first person shooter.

who wants to run around when playing a game? >.<

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

You could use Virtuix-style shoes with sensors to detect change and communicate with the deck on a separate connection (ruling out the PC delay). Main problem imo would be mid-sprint jumps to a stop with rotation. Doable, but would probably require it to be linux-driven on something like raspberry Pi.

Wow the way VR is heading your going to have to have a dedicated house just to fit all the god damn stuff!

Honestly, with stuff like this, I don't see it having a home use anytime soon.

I do think that it could breathe some new life into arcades and similar, as they have the space to put something like this in, and its actually something (most people) can't have at home.

Looks cool, the Omni and stuff always looked a little more awkward to me. I want it to just work as if I'm normally walking.

If I have to alter my walking to more shuffling/sliding then I don't see the point, It should emulate the real world thing, not make me do something close.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

This looks awesome! But not for someone like me that lives in an apartment building...

Might piss of the neighbors with all of the noise :-P

I still think the omni is a better solution.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

i think the omni is still a better option. people have messed with this concept for years but it is just not possible to make it feel natural as the computer would literally have to predict your movements to make it feel realistic. notice how the guy almost trips over himself while changing direction. thats the main problem with this.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

It looks like you move in the direction the treadmill wants to, not the other way around. Not really sure how well that would work.

Also, I like how the guy moves that lady out of the way near the beginning of the video xD

He said that the directional control could be by hand gestures or by the "camera in the Oculus". I think they would need some safety precautions so that people wouldn't fall of, but this does seem like an even better, although not yet finalized, approach to spatial VR (:

...such round about ways... JUST HAVE IT PLUG INTO OUR BRAINS ALREADY!!!!

Agreed but since that will clearly take a while (the more I learn about the human brain the more I think it might not be possible with current tech :( Although I'd very much want to be the one that make it possible :D )

As for the video, well Cyberith is a TON better than anything that Omni has made so far and they haven't even announced their kickstarter yet so I'd like this tech on a Cyberith as Omni was never an option to me. What good is an Omni if you can't sit, crouch, or jump? Maybe it's better now but even if it is it has that wierd curved walking surface so I wonder how this tech would fit on that.

Agreed but since that will clearly take a while (the more I learn about the human brain the more I think it might not be possible with current tech :( Although I'd very much want to be the one that make it possible :D )

As for the video, well Cyberith is a TON better than anything that Omni has made so far and they haven't even announced their kickstarter yet so I'd like this tech on a Cyberith as Omni was never an option to me. What good is an Omni if you can't sit, crouch, or jump? Maybe it's better now but even if it is it has that wierd curved walking surface so I wonder how this tech would fit on that.

they already have computers that can do basic mind reading, and we have robot arms plugged into our nerves, why would it not be possible? :P

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Really cool. Expensive?

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.

Hard to care about VR with movement now when Oculus said the focus is just on the sitting down deal with gaming and then we heard that Virtuix Omni at it's best is only being offered to the military for a good while and it takes a much different set up to be able to jump and crouch and some other things.  Until Oculus and something like max Virtuix Omni are offered together I am definitely not interested in VR.  In fact I am not going to buy from Facebook so I have to wait on other companies to do something with VR also.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Looks like you can only walk naturally if your walking at one of the 90 degree directions, if you move in a 45 degree direction it gets a bit wonky to walk with the treadmill only being able to move its strips on this 90 degree directions.

They're getting there. I will say they need to figure out how to make it function more like a segway though. If the user puts back pressure in a direction the treadmill should move in that direction. Also, if immersion is the goal they would need to figure out how to make the treadmill adjust grade for when you're walking up or down hills in a game. And add handrails, of course. 

they already have computers that can do basic mind reading, and we have robot arms plugged into our nerves, why would it not be possible? :P

You would need very fine control which would currently need implants and ideally it would want to have only sensors placed all over your head without having to drill holes or shave your head also at that point it would be nice to have your vision connected directly to you occipcial lobe.

I'm considering going into nuronscience for this :) but even if I do figure out how to do it I don't know how I can fund it without selling out which is clearly something i wouldnt want to do.

(Arrrg phone keyboards are terrible on the desktop version of LTT, which is the only version i actually enjoy using)