Hot glue on coil whine

Jakubrrrr

I have a 1660 super and tried to undervolt, the coil whine did decrease but not a lot, would putting hot glue on the coil harm the components? Is it something that is easy to do or hard? I want to know if that would solve the issue, if not then would someone send a more in depth video on how to undervolt to get rid of coil whine. 

Are you sure its coming from your GPU? because out of all my graphics cards, my 1660S is the only card that doesnt whine. I am not saying every card is the same but this is a relatively low power card, it shouldnt scream like a banshee. As far hot glue goes, please dont. You will just cause more and more problems especially since you will be covering components with hot glue and reduce their cooling.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Coil whine usually comes from internal vibration, at least in components common to current computers, and is notoriously difficult to track down to a specific component. Even if you got the right component, hot glue would do nothing but get hot glue all over your GPU.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

35 minutes ago, Jakubrrrr said:

I have a 1660 super and tried to undervolt, the coil whine did decrease but not a lot, would putting hot glue on the coil harm the components? Is it something that is easy to do or hard? I want to know if that would solve the issue, if not then would someone send a more in depth video on how to undervolt to get rid of coil whine. 

I believe the right way to do it is thermally conductive, electrically insulating epoxy.

Hot glue would be useless as it would simply melt when the card is under load plus it becomes conductive over time with heat exposure.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

33 minutes ago, Levent said:

Are you sure its coming from your GPU? because out of all my graphics cards, my 1660S is the only card that doesnt whine. I am not saying every card is the same but this is a relatively low power card, it shouldnt scream like a banshee. As far hot glue goes, please dont. You will just cause more and more problems especially since you will be covering components with hot glue and reduce their cooling.

Yes it’s from the gpu, would something like changing the psu help the issue as I read it sometimes could help but I’m not sure.

On 12/27/2023 at 12:31 PM, Levent said:

This would be my issue with using hot glue aswell , You will basically be insulating the coils and stopping the heat from escaping.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

On 12/27/2023 at 8:06 AM, Jakubrrrr said:

Yes it’s from the gpu, would something like changing the psu help the issue as I read it sometimes could help but I’m not sure.

That can be true that a PSU issue can be weird with power delivery and the GPU behaves weirdly: Thermally, functionally, electrically, etc.

750W PSU caused stutters on loading scenes in SOTC and coil whine in spite of only using 500W. Replaced PSU and no more issues.

No way to rule it out for sure unless PSU is at least temporarily swapped out.