Thoughts on Scentbird

Steve Chan

Hi all!

We were recently presented with a sponsorship opportunity with Scentbird. They provide monthly subscription boxes to different scents (colognes, perfumes, etc.) based on the user's preferences.

Wanted to see if anyone had any experience or tried their service. Personally, I've always wanted to try them out, but just never got around to making an order.

*Please note that our team does our own research and testing around vetting sponsor products and services. However, we've found that soliciting feedback from the community can sometimes add something new to the conversation that we weren't aware of*

I don't want to stereotype too hard but I cannot imagine this being a product that a significant portion of the LTT audience would be interested in.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

4 hours ago, Middcore said:

I don't want to stereotype too hard but I cannot imagine this being a product that a significant portion of the LTT audience would be interested in.

Do they offer "gamer scent"?

15 hours ago, Middcore said:

Just because most gamers aren't the target audience, doesn't mean marketing to that audience is pointless.

Gamers are not all grown in test tubes, and most have mothers, some have wives or girl or boyfriends who like nice scents, and it's a good gift. etc.

Marketing isn't always direct.

I'm not super encouraged on first glance. Trustpilot's average score is 3.1 and on Facebook it's even worse at 2.7.

Trustpilot seems to mention a recurring trend of subscriptions being difficult to cancel (which LMG has been very vocal about in the past with this practice not being okay - it would appear your required to email them and then they send over a link?), poor response times with customer service and refusing to refund where a parcel wasn't received.

In comparison to some of their competitors, it seems like there's certainly better out there and they've got a bit of learning to do. I would probably pass if I were looking for such a service. Too many red flags.

As someone who reacts poorly to artificial (or overly strong natural) scents, I could only get behind this so long as LMG does not encourage the use of these scents in public places where people who also react poorly may be present.

In fact, the marketing should include a disclaimer about being cognizant of your surroundings so as to not be a detriment to the well-being of people around you. Enjoy whatever makes your life happy, so long as it doesn't detract from the lives of those around you.

LMG often includes disclaimers for epilepsy in some videos, so there's no excuse to not include a disclaimer for scented products, especially if it's something they're receiving payment to feature on their content.

EDIT: @Steve Chan please get clarification on Scentbird's cancellation process.

• Their support article indicates the only way to cancel is by contacting their support team.
  • Reddit posts seem to indicate the cancellation process is more difficult than it should be.

If this is true, it reflects poorly on ANY company accepting Scentbird as a sponsor.

• Additionally, making subscriptions difficult to cancel may violate FTC regulations.

https://consumer.ftc.gov/consumer-alerts/2023/05/click-cancel-we-want-hear-you

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/news/press-releases/2023/12/ftc-hold-virtual-informal-hearing-january-2024-part-its-review-proposed-click-cancel-rulemaking

https://gizmodo.com/cancel-subscription-ftc-click-to-cancel-pushback-1850615222

https://www.wsj.com/articles/publishers-and-advertisers-push-back-at-ftcs-click-to-cancel-proposal-de96960b

https://scentbird.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004536388-How-do-I-cancel-my-subscription-

How do I cancel my subscription?
All of our subscription plans automatically renew (with the exception of gift subscriptions). To avoid subscription renewal, be sure to cancel your subscription no later than one day prior to your scheduled billing date. Your billing date can be found either in your Scentbird profile here. In the event your subscription is canceled after your scheduled billing date, your cancellation will ensure you aren't billed again in the future.

To cancel your membership, please contact our Customer Experience team here. Once your subscription has been canceled, you will receive an email confirming your subscription's cancellation.

Please note that 3, 6, or 12-month subscription plans (with term commitment) cannot be canceled mid-term. If you wish to downgrade your plan back to a month-to-month plan or stop automatic renewal of your multi-month plan, simply reach out to our Customer Experience team to let us know. We're here to help with that!

https://www.reddit.com/r/scentbird/search/?q=cancel&sort=new&restrict_sr=on&t=all

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

26 minutes ago, htimsenyawed said:

That might be outdated information. When my woman cancelled her subscription, it was in her account page under - I think, "Payments & Subscription" heading.

I am hoping it is outdated, however, given Scentbird's own FAQ article says you have to contact them, I want confirmation from Scentbird.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

2 hours ago, kirashi said:

I could only get behind this so long as LMG does not encourage the use of these scents in public places where people who also react poorly may be present.

In fact, the marketing should include a disclaimer about being cognizant of your surroundings so as to not be a detriment to the well-being of people around you. Enjoy whatever makes your life happy, so long as it doesn't detract from the lives of those around you.

This is ridiculous. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

9 hours ago, htimsenyawed said:

I never imagined someone being triggered by people wearing cologne, but here we are.

I mean, I can understand how people are sensitive to cologne or scents in general. The dude walking down the hall wearing too much Old Spice can give me a headache sometimes too. Sometimes my wife lighting a certain candle can get to me.

But asking LMG to educate or warn their audience against cologne in public spaces during a cologne sponsored segment is actually idiotic.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

So on the one hand, I'm not within the target market for Scentbird.

On the other, I know someone who is, and she hates them with a fiery burning passion. I remember her saying that it took "a goddamned act of Congress" to get her subscription cancelled. So there's some secondhand feedback from someone who I consider to be trustworthy and of good moral character.

On a third hand, lots of ASMR women end up sponsored by Scentbird, and the thought of Linus himself doing a 60-second ASMR girl spot about subscription perfume is just all the lulz.

DO IT.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

On 12/21/2023 at 4:50 AM, Middcore said:

Who knows, they might make a steamdeck fume smell soon. 😬

And maybe a melted/burning 4090 12VHPWR connector smell.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

5 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

Who knows, they might make a steamdeck fume smell soon. 😬

And maybe a melted/burning 4090 12VHPWR connector smell.

Eau de Cablemod?

It's pronounced French, so say it like "Oh day Cab-leh-mod"

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Eau de Cablemod?

It's pronounced French, so say it like "Oh day Cab-leh-mod"

Well, to be fair, before cablemod there was nvidia's own connector.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Just now, Poinkachu said:

Well, to be fair, before cablemod there was nvidia's own connector.

It's almost like they're trying to shove too much power through that tiny piece of plastic.

4 hours ago, aisle9 said:

"Oh day Cab-leh-mod"

Pretentious Pedantry: "Ugh the Cah-b ugh l-mo" (mo is like the stereotypical French hon-hon-hon, but with m)

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

While I don't think their service is great in terms of value, and I don't think they'd gain a ton of business from the ad campaign...I don't see why it's an issue to take the money they're offering. Someone might find more value in it.

On 12/20/2023 at 11:06 AM, htimsenyawed said:

Not personally, but my woman used it for 3 months. She went through and done the sample questions, asking what her favorite scents were and things like that. Then every month they sent the total opposite (and frankly old lady) smells to her. She cancelled that after realizing they don't take the users preferences into account.

How long did she use it for? My gf had pretty good success, but with something like this not every scent is going to be for every person. You'll never get a 100% enjoyment rate.

On 12/20/2023 at 1:50 PM, Middcore said:

There's lots of people that wouldn't mind getting some new cologne. This is a decent way to check out scents if you only sub for a few months. Beats buying bottles and trying it out that way.

Also, I don't think it really matters...

On 12/21/2023 at 3:54 PM, kirashi said:

As someone who reacts poorly to artificial (or overly strong natural) scents, I could only get behind this so long as LMG does not encourage the use of these scents in public places where people who also react poorly may be present.

LMG often includes disclaimers for epilepsy in some videos, so there's no excuse to not include a disclaimer for scented products, especially if it's something they're receiving payment to feature on their content.

EDIT: @Steve Chan please get clarification on Scentbird's cancellation process.

• Their support article indicates the only way to cancel is by contacting their support team.
  • Reddit posts seem to indicate the cancellation process is more difficult than it should be.

If this is true, it reflects poorly on ANY company accepting Scentbird as a sponsor.

• Additionally, making subscriptions difficult to cancel may violate FTC regulations.

https://consumer.ftc.gov/consumer-alerts/2023/05/click-cancel-we-want-hear-you

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/news/press-releases/2023/12/ftc-hold-virtual-informal-hearing-january-2024-part-its-review-proposed-click-cancel-rulemaking

https://gizmodo.com/cancel-subscription-ftc-click-to-cancel-pushback-1850615222

https://www.wsj.com/articles/publishers-and-advertisers-push-back-at-ftcs-click-to-cancel-proposal-de96960b

https://scentbird.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004536388-How-do-I-cancel-my-subscription-

https://www.reddit.com/r/scentbird/search/?q=cancel&sort=new&restrict_sr=on&t=all

Hmmm I agree with most of what you said about the company, but putting a warning about not using it in public spaces is...a bit much.

I can totally sympathize about how scents can affect you like that, however the masses shouldn't be restricted by very small fractions of the population.

It's kind of like saying people shouldn't eat peanut butter in public.

The FTC stuff you linked seems to be for future hearings. Not really relevant to anything before that.

At least their cancellation system is easier than Amazons 😂

On 12/21/2023 at 9:38 PM, aisle9 said:

So on the one hand, I'm not within the target market for Scentbird.

On the other, I know someone who is, and she hates them with a fiery burning passion. I remember her saying that it took "a goddamned act of Congress" to get her subscription cancelled. So there's some secondhand feedback from someone who I consider to be trustworthy and of good moral character.

On a third hand, lots of ASMR women end up sponsored by Scentbird, and the thought of Linus himself doing a 60-second ASMR girl spot about subscription perfume is just all the lulz.

DO IT.

I think it depends on the CS rep you get...same as most places. My GF didn't realize she was still subscribed, and they gave her a full refund. Granted this was before they shipped the product, so if someone's trying to cancel after they shipped the product, well it's just common sense that they'd be SOL.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Went to the website. First thing I see is a fake limited time special offer countdown. Closing the page and opening it again in incognito mode resets the countdown to 20 minutes. Go through to the order page and it's showing the same fake limited time offer countdown but now it's counting down in deciseconds (seriously?)

When the countdown reaches 0 it simply removes the "Deal ends in" countdown element from the page but the same offer still shows.

image.png

image.png

These fake countdowns are used to trick prospective customers in to a false sense of urgency to push people to purchase on impulse without properly considering what they're subscribing to. If you need to rush customers to sign up before they think about it for a few minutes then it's probably a bad deal. I know LMG has taken issues with sponsors misleading customers with these fake countdowns in the past (cough Nord cough).

Using misleading pressure sales tactics along with the complaints about how difficult it is to cancel the subscription are pretty big red flags for me and gives me the impression that they're probably a pretty scummy company that I wouldn't buy from.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450