I installed an Aio and whenever im 10-15 minutes into a game my pc just restarts

salty21

I installed an AIO cpu cooler and 10-15 mins into playing fortnite my pc just fully restarts with no error. I used my old 750w power supply (which is pretty dusty) for the build so maybe its a psu issue? it never restarted for the stock intel cooler. and nothing over heats, the cpu idles at around 25-30 degrees. Ive tried re applying thermal paste, downloading new gpu drivers but nothing works.

My specs:

Thermaltake 750w psu

gtx 1060 3gb

i3 13100f

msi h610m-e

16gb ddr4

You're sure the pump and fans are running?

You peeled the plastic off when you installed the CPU cooler side?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

6 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

that question sounds stupid, but many people don't notice the plastic peel

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Just now, Needfuldoer said:

You're sure the pump and fans are running?

Yeah the fans and pump are running fine, and I peeled the plastic bit off the cpu cooler side, I also tried factory resetting but pc still restarts.

Have you checked temps while gaming? i.e. by having an overlay active during the session to see whether maybe the temps spike? Does it also happen when you run a benchmark?

You could check by just running e.g. cinebench for pure CPU load, and then a GPU benchmark to check that. If it is a power issue I don't think it would happen when only one load is applied, but a thermal issue should manifest itself.

Just now, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

Have you checked temps while gaming? i.e. by having an overlay active during the session to see whether maybe the temps spike? Does it also happen when you run a benchmark?

You could check by just running e.g. cinebench for pure CPU load, and then a GPU benchmark to check that. If it is a power issue I don't think it would happen when only one load is applied, but a thermal issue should manifest itself.

Yeah my temps while gaming are about 45 degrees, I just ran a cinebench and temps didnt go over 60

Your PC is now drawing more power because it's not thermally throttling as much anymore. Sure sounds like a PSU issue but 750w should be more than enough for those specs, maybe the PSU is overheating? Make sure it gets good airflow in the case ie hot air doesn't stack up into it.

Also you are using the correct cables for the PSU right, and not mixing cables?

1 hour ago, salty21 said:

Yeah my temps while gaming are about 45 degrees, I just ran a cinebench and temps didnt go over 60

OK, sounds good. So the whole machine was running fine before you swapped AIO and PSU?

You could try to go back to the PSU you had before to see whether that works, or even go as far and remount the AIO/CPU to exclude a bad mount.

4 hours ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

OK, sounds good. So the whole machine was running fine before you swapped AIO and PSU?

You could try to go back to the PSU you had before to see whether that works, or even go as far and remount the AIO/CPU to exclude a bad mount.

Yeah it was running fine before I swapped the AIO, I never swapped the PSU

5 hours ago, noname8365 said:

Your PC is now drawing more power because it's not thermally throttling as much anymore. Sure sounds like a PSU issue but 750w should be more than enough for those specs, maybe the PSU is overheating? Make sure it gets good airflow in the case ie hot air doesn't stack up into it.

Also you are using the correct cables for the PSU right, and not mixing cables?

Yeah, Im using all the correct cables, it gets good airflow from the case but its really dusty so maybe the dust traps the heat?

1 hour ago, salty21 said:

Yeah it was running fine before I swapped the AIO, I never swapped the PSU

So it is unlikely that it is the PSU, unless it was barely holding on before. Still a possibility, but less so.

Did you take off the CPU when you mounted the AIO? How is the AIO connected, to the Mobo's pump header or to a fan header?

Just trying to get a picture here, to see what you might change back to narrow down the fault.

Easiest would be to go back to the old cooler and see if that solves the issue. If not, then it is not related to the AIO or the mounting/demounting procedure.

So it is unlikely that it is the PSU, unless it was barely holding on before. Still a possibility, but less so.

Did you take off the CPU when you mounted the AIO? How is the AIO connected, to the Mobo's pump header or to a fan header?

Just trying to get a picture here, to see what you might change back to narrow down the fault.

Easiest would be to go back to the old cooler and see if that solves the issue. If not, then it is not related to the AIO or the mounting/demounting procedure.

The pump is connected to "sys_fan 2" and the radiator pump is connected to "cpu_fan 1"

I'm re-installing the old cooler now to see if its the radiator.

9 minutes ago, salty21 said:

The pump is connected to "sys_fan 2" and the radiator pump is connected to "cpu_fan 1"

Just a hunch, but it could be that the pump is pulling more amps than sys_fan 2 can handle.

Looking at the manual of that mobo, it appears that it is rated for only 12V/1A, so depending on how much the AIO pulls under load (it might go up to 100% pump speed, depending on config) the Mobo might shut down due to overcurrent protection on that headeer.

So maybe check the AIO manual how much power that pump can draw.

Just a hunch, but it could be that the pump is pulling more amps than sys_fan 2 can handle.

Looking at the manual of that mobo, it appears that it is rated for only 12V/1A, so depending on how much the AIO pulls under load (it might go up to 100% pump speed, depending on config) the Mobo might shut down due to overcurrent protection on that headeer.

So maybe check the AIO manual how much power that pump can draw.

I just played a game with the old cpu cooler, it still restarts so maybe it is the psu?