Keeping My CPU/GPU Nice and Cool

I just recently upgraded from AM4 to AM5 CPU (thanks Newegg BF sales), which required a whole new mobo and CPU. Got a Ryzen 7 7800X3D based on GN reviews of it and capitalized on a pretty good deal. One thing I'm running into is keeping this hot li'l guy cool along with my EVGA 3080. 

I moved to a Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX board and I'm noticing that it is not keeping the tower cool enough, particularly because the temperature in the case does not kick on the case fans due to the "System1" temperature. Which I can only imagine is a temperature based on sensors on the board, not CPU or GPU.

With that, my ambient temp in chassis only stays about 25-26 C, even under load, so the intake fans & exhaust fans on the case hardly ever kick on because of barely any change in ambient temps.

Also, I tested some fan curves in the BIOS based on the CPU temps, but then that doesn't account for when my GPU is under load. I mostly game at 1440P, so there's a heavy load on the GPU when gaming and, even if the CPU is not getting too hot, I want the case fans to cool off the whole machine.

What do you recommend I do to accommodate for controlling case fan speed (intake and exhaust) when the ambient temperature sensors aren't reporting much change?

Here's my PCPartpicker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NYZzFs

Thanks for your thoughts!

-Grey

6 minutes ago, greyfoxwins said:

I just recently upgraded from AM4 to AM5 CPU (thanks Newegg BF sales), which required a whole new mobo and CPU. Got a Ryzen 7 7800X3D based on GN reviews of it and capitalized on a pretty good deal. One thing I'm running into is keeping this hot li'l guy cool along with my EVGA 3080. 

I moved to a Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX board and I'm noticing that it is not keeping the tower cool enough, particularly because the temperature in the case does not kick on the case fans due to the "System1" temperature. Which I can only imagine is a temperature based on sensors on the board, not CPU or GPU.

With that, my ambient temp in chassis only stays about 25-26 C, even under load, so the intake fans & exhaust fans on the case hardly ever kick on because of barely any change in ambient temps.

Also, I tested some fan curves in the BIOS based on the CPU temps, but then that doesn't account for when my GPU is under load. I mostly game at 1440P, so there's a heavy load on the GPU when gaming and, even if the CPU is not getting too hot, I want the case fans to cool off the whole machine.

What do you recommend I do to accommodate for controlling case fan speed (intake and exhaust) when the ambient temperature sensors aren't reporting much change?

Here's my PCPartpicker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NYZzFs

Thanks for your thoughts!

-Grey

Just set it to follow CPU and adjust fan curve to your liking. Might wanna test while gaming or other loads and adjust accordingly

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

what temp is the GPU hitting? and how are you measuring the case air temperature?

Download FanControl and make a mixer setting, set one curve for GPU and one curve for CPU, put these into the mixer and fans will prioritise whichever curve is higher

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

9 hours ago, Lunar River said:

what temp is the GPU hitting? and how are you measuring the case air temperature?

That's just it. The "System1" temperature sensor must be on the board somewhere, but only changes maybe 1 or 2 degrees under load, from like 25-27C. It's not a great indicator of load, especially when my CPU can spike up to the mid 70s up to 84C under heavy load. Right now I have my case fan curve tied to the CPU temps so it's definitely something, but I don't expect my CPU to ramp up when there's something graphically intensive on-screen. 

With Heaven, GPU temps get to around 70C. Low 70s under longer sessions, it seems. 

8 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

Download FanControl and make a mixer setting, set one curve for GPU and one curve for CPU, put these into the mixer and fans will prioritise whichever curve is higher

Ooh, this actually may be nice. I'll look into this, thanks! Saw an article from HWBusters.com that said the CPU can sustain load at 89C but... I don't think I want to reach that 😂

9 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Just set it to follow CPU and adjust fan curve to your liking. Might wanna test while gaming or other loads and adjust accordingly

That's what I'm doing now! I'm just concerned for my GPU too in case there's something graphically (but not CPU) intensive happening on screen, the GPU getting heat throttled and the case fans not ramping up! I know a lot of times both will experience some load while gaming so I can always move the goal posts to kick the case fans on sooner. 

Thanks for your reply!

4 hours ago, greyfoxwins said:

That's what I'm doing now! I'm just concerned for my GPU too in case there's something graphically (but not CPU) intensive happening on screen, the GPU getting heat throttled and the case fans not ramping up! I know a lot of times both will experience some load while gaming so I can always move the goal posts to kick the case fans on sooner. 

Thanks for your reply!

70c for a gpu is fine. But if you're really worried, If you haven't already, you can turn on v sync to limit the frame rate so it's not working as hard