Partial internet disruption across Europe (8.50PM to 9.50PM BST)

Saihtam

This evening (for us europeans) there was a partial internet disruption, which caused any connections to sites as Twitch.tv, Twitter, Reddit, DeviantArt and games as League of Legends to fail.

The issues seemed to start around 8.50PM British Summer Time and were fixed at about 9.50PM.

According to server- and hostingprovider DigitalOcean, this disruption was caused by the Telias Trans-Atlantic cable. Source

~ Saihtam

Couldnt reach twitch and reddit.

Pretty scarry actually since we're so relliant on the internet

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

Couldnt reach twitch and reddit.

Pretty scarry actually since we're so relliant on the internet

Very true. We are way to reliant on it. One day, everyone will loose connection because of a major accident, who knows what will happen.

Couldn't reach here actually, damn cloudflare :/

Hmm not very good at this signature deallio so umm, specs :D

CPU: Intel Core i5 4570K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO MBoard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GBx1 Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB; Western Digital WD Blue 1TB; Hitachi Clunk Clunk Whirl 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 780 Direct CU II Case: Antec 902 V3 PSU: Corsair RM 650 OS: Windows 8.1 Pro (with Media Centre)

I swear the line are all designed so if one goes down the load from it will be spread out to the other lines and other routes to the same destination albeit with higher latency?

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

I swear the line are all designed so if one goes down the load from it will be spread out to the other lines and other routes to the same destination albeit with higher latency?

but when massive amount of people start flooding through places they shouldn't be everything dies.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Reddit was buggered for me. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Geforce RTX 3090 FE 

That's why my fiber connection was so slow

The routers are indeed designed to do that, but it takes some time before the routers realise that they should take a different route because their currently known route was down.

This is most likely the reason why for some people it was fixed within half an hour and for others it took about an hour before it was "fixed".

The routers are indeed designed to do that, but it takes some time before the routers realise that they should take a different route because their currently known route was down.

Ah fair enough. I guess that's true.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

http://www.submarinecablemap.com/#/submarine-cable/tat-14

interesting map of all the cables

I was literally about to post that lol. 

Further reading if you want to know more. (i'm kidding you'd actually be the worlds biggest dickhead)

Still well worth a read I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Geforce RTX 3090 FE 

So thats why I couldn't open speedtest.net and even this forum. YouTube and Facebook survived... surprisingly..

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I knew it! I was playing GW2 and while playing, I tried to get on reddit but I couldn't... Also LinusTechTips didn't work for me.

Wow this just shows how vulnerable the Internet really is. Imagine if that was done by vandals instead... I had thought that the current design of the Internet made that sort of thing impossible, but if one cable failure is enough to bring down half the Internet then I think the isps, with their vast reserves of cash, should probably start upgrading.

I am surprised that twitch doesn't have any non-us mirrors for their site though because they're not small any more and it would help the site a lot.

HTTP/2 203

The reason some websites worked and others didn't was because the cable was one of the transatlantic once. Websites/services in the EU would still "easily"** be reached as the connectivity to them where not severed/severely reduced.

** of cause however when suddenly a major cable is cut that traffic needs to be re-routed and will cause congestion which could be sites/services in the EU would also become unreachable.

I was trying to get work done as it happened, I only managed to get done at 23:30, was one hell of a night.. and not in a good way. :(