DLSS and AFMF Fusion the new age SLI

Cpt.Blasto

Quasar Zone

Summary

What happens when you combine the power of DLSS frame generation with the power of AMD AFMF fluid motion technology? more frames? yes and no. 

Please note that this article was translated from Korean via google translate

Quotes

Both AFMF and DLSS 3 FG are frame generation technologies in common. However, since AFMF is a function of the AMD driver and DLSS can be used in the GeForce RTX 40 series or higher, they are originally incompatible technologies. But is it possible to use both of these technologies?

퀘이사존

In conclusion, yes! Surprisingly, like Fluid Motion Video, AFMF can be used with a combination of NVIDIA/AMD GPUs. I wouldn't have expected AMD to use it this way. Of course, since this configuration is not recommended by the graphics card manufacturer, various problems such as unexpected errors, blue screens, booting errors, and driver conflicts may occur.

My thoughts

This could be the new frontier of SLI! Instead of using two Nvidia cards, now we can combine AMD and Nvidia into a grotesque frame generating (artificing) high FPS monster. I would love to see this tested by Linus to have these results validated, while not all games saw a lift in FPS it does output more FPS for the likes of Cyberpunk 2077 and Starfield. The article doesn't give any examples of what those frames look like, so I can only imagine what kind of artificing\ghosting generally crap the image looks like. One can't deny that outputting over 200 FPS in Cyberpunk at 4k (no RT) is good, even if those are fake frames the fluid of movement would be buttery smooth. I am personally not a fan of this frame generation tech and upscaling in general, yet it's certainly where things seem to keep going. So why not lean into it and double down?

Quasar Zone

Quasar Zone

Quasar Zone

Sources

Original Article: https://quasarzone.com/bbs/qc_plan/views/34540

What I read: https://videocardz.com/newz/up-to-3x-fps-boost-nvidia-and-amd-frame-generation-technologies-can-work-together-in-games-like-cyberpunk-2077

So by having both GPUs in one system you can stack the technology? I haven't kept a close eye on AFMF quality as it isn't so interesting for me as FSR3. I think an interesting endgame would be DLSS + FSR3, since currently FSR3 limits you to FSR2 upscaling with its known problems. That would give us a chance to truly compare DLSS3 FG with FSR3 FG without different upscalers getting in the way.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, Cpt.Blasto said:

My thoughts

This could be the new frontier of SLI! Instead of using two Nvidia cards, now we can combine AMD and Nvidia into a grotesque frame generating (artificing) high FPS monster

At what latency?
Both techs on their own already absolutely trash latency and therefore playability for the sake of visual fluidity. what the hell does doing both do to the playability?

SLI died because even though you got better FPS, the frametiming microstutter made playability go out the window. 

Gaining FPS but loosing performance just isnt a win.

18 minutes ago, starsmine said:

At what latency?
Both techs on their own already absolutely trash latency and therefore playability for the sake of visual fluidity. what the hell does doing both do to the playability?

SLI died because even though you got better FPS, the frametiming microstutter made playability go out the window. 

Gaining FPS but loosing performance just isnt a win.

Sure you are not wrong, but at the same time some people just want the frames. I used to run SLI and dealt with all the nuance that came along with it, was it practical? not really, yet from a technical perspective it was pretty nifty. Along that same thought this fits that, is it practical? Not at all, is it neat? Certainly, would someone try to run this as a day to day configuration? Doubtful, yet I wouldn't put it past someone.

Overall this is more of a cool tech demo than anything, with that said I would like to see is what is the timing on the frames? what kind of quality is that frame? I think this is something that should and or could be looked at in more depth, after all Nvidia is already pushing the idea of AI rendered graphics as seen here: https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/3/18121198/ai-generated-video-game-graphics-nvidia-driving-demo-neurips

Frame generation is basically AI generated graphics, this is just doubling down on that for kicks and giggles. Who knows, maybe in the future we play AI rendered games that then uses another AI to create more frames to increase the FPS because of reasons. 

1 hour ago, starsmine said:

Not really, microstutter was only an earlier generation issue. I had absolutely zero issues with that running 2x 290X. What killed multi GPU was frameworks and game design tools that weren't made to work with multi GPU and actually made it so a second GPU wouldn't be used or would cause massive artifacting. The problem was actually the effort in supporting multiple GPUs at the game tool and techniques level.

idk why but i get the feeling that it looks terrible

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

sounds sus, would believe there is so much wrong with that. stacking this tech should only make it in some ways worse.
maybe it can be good if you just make any card work together, if direct storage or links can manage something, then having the output or monitor like g-sync that selects and controls the frames + sync expectations? or if its some weave + reordering magic.

else its just AMD AFMF doing its thing as shown before.

this trend is stupid.... kinda like low-fi (except that's actually good lol)

just play your games native,  unless you really like the mush, ig, then go ahead,  happy vaseline gaming! ~

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity