I am a Quest-hole Now - Meta Quest 3 Review

AdamFromLTT

Facebook, now known as Meta, made a big splash after purchasing Oculus by releasing the Quest 2, the single most successful VR product to date. Outselling the likes of Playstation VR, HTC Vive and Valve Index. And with the AR boom on the horizon, or at least, so Meta hopes, the Meta Quest 3 has come into make those Mixed Reality dreams a, uhh… Reality. But is it any good? Well, let's just say, the Meta Quest 3 has made us more excited about the Apple Vision Pro.

i just wanted to mention that about the 10 minute mark, where Linus mentions "if you have an older PCVR headset with outside-in tracking...". im assuming here you mean about the SteamVR base stations, however they are actually an inside-out tracking method, since none of the processing is done on the base stations, they just beam IR. 
The Rift does use outside in tracking with the Oculus Constellation system, however due to the wording i doubt thats only what was meant.

I'm curious what changed in the audio. When there is A roll of Linus there seems to be some shotgun mic that when he is in a very specific place the bass in his voice HITS and where he moves a little too much the bass just TANKS. Is it a new lav? Is it a shotgun mic? or is it just some new audio post processing you guys are doing?

As good as VR is, as long as the Oculus Game Catalog refuses to make new, innovative games, I feel that it's going to be hard to justify the high price tag for both existing and new VR users. For context, the "best selling" list on Oculus's website has had the same dozen or so games since the Quest 1 released, with a few small additions here and there. (PCVR I think doesn't count, since not everyone has a VR Ready gaming machine and that's not the point of the headset).

They'd have to take one from Valve's book and make something like Half Life: Alyx, or Sony/Playstation which made the Horizon Forbidden West VR game, they just need THAT title that people go out and NEED the Quest 3 to play it, and I'm not certain they're quite there yet.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

2 hours ago, just_rocs said:

i just wanted to mention that about the 10 minute mark, where Linus mentions "if you have an older PCVR headset with outside-in tracking...". im assuming here you mean about the SteamVR base stations, however they are actually an inside-out tracking method, since none of the processing is done on the base stations, they just beam IR. 
The Rift does use outside in tracking with the Oculus Constellation system, however due to the wording i doubt thats only what was meant.

Yes the lighthouse/SteamVR tracking system is technically inside-out, but it's practically outside-in. Your available tracking volume is entirely dependent on you placing the lighthouses in good spots in your room.

5 hours ago, Trish_VR said:

Yes the lighthouse/SteamVR tracking system is technically inside-out, but it's practically outside-in. Your available tracking volume is entirely dependent on you placing the lighthouses in good spots in your room.

thats not how it works, yes the base stations are things you have to put up around your playspace but the base stations dont do any processing themselves, they dont communicate with your pc. it is inside out tracking

I won't buy a VR set just to make sure not to give money to be counted in the "Metaverse" buzzword. Once VCs give up on "Metaverse" I'd like to try a VR headset.

I would have loved Linus trying the Quest 3 on the core facebook app "Horizon Worlds".Report is that is now overrun by screaming children on middle aged avatars 😄 Still no legs, Facebook is years away and billions of dollars away from rediscovering legs technology from the Dark Age of Second Life.

image.thumb.png.ad4fe99fd40eacebc1e0423ca766d830.png

9 hours ago, Birblover12 said:

They'd have to take one from Valve's book and make something like Half Life: Alyx, or Sony/Playstation which made the Horizon Forbidden West VR game, they just need THAT title that people go out and NEED the Quest 3 to play it, and I'm not certain they're quite there yet.

Zuckenberg doesn't want games. He wants you to live your life in a souless VR gray office, ideally being paid in Zuck Bucks.
Horizon Workrooms - Remote Collaboration Reimagined - YouTube

4 minutes ago, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

I won't buy a VR set just to make sure not to give money to be counted in the "Metaverse" buzzword. Once VCs give up on "Metaverse" I'd like to try a VR headset.

I would have loved Linus trying the Quest 3 on the core facebook app "Horizon Worlds".Report is that is now overrun by screaming children 😄 Still no legs, Facebook is years away from rediscovering legs technology from the forgotten age of Second Life.

VR itself has nothing to do with Facebook's braindead "Metaverse" so it's pointless to wait. It's not likely that Facebook will give up on Metaverse either since they've poured SO MUCH money into it.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

There is an Error in the video at 10:45 - there is not just one mic on the headset. There are two microphones inside, the one on the front is for ambient noise cancellation/isolation.

image.png.a6aa226130d7694be92f2807c650fb4d.png

12 hours ago, just_rocs said:

thats not how it works, yes the base stations are things you have to put up around your playspace but the base stations dont do any processing themselves, they dont communicate with your pc. it is inside out tracking

Inside-out and outside-in tracking are not terms that describe where the processing happens, but rather the "perspective" used for tracking purposes. In an inside-out tracking system, cameras on a headset are "fixed" relative to the headset, and track a moving 3D space outside the headset in order to infer positioning.

In an outside-in tracking system, the "fixed" landmarks are base stations placed outside of the headset and pointed towards the headset, which cameras and sensors try to continually locate relative to their position to determine where they are in the absolute space defined by the landmarks.

It doesn't matter what CPU is actually responsible for calculating the tracking data or whether that CPU is a separate system, onboard the fixed objects, or onboard the headset.

I see this as significantly more important for VR/AR adoption than the vision pro. It seems to do 70% of the things 70% as well at a 7th of the cost, and is available now, instead of whenever the vision pro seems to be coming out. The vision pro feels more like a souped up Q3 than the Q3 feeling like a shittier version of the vision pro, but time will tell.

AR mode is supposed to be one of the big features and it only lasts for 90 minutes, ouch. 

In a lot of ways this product looks cool, but it also seems like good VR experiences can't really be made at this price point. You end up making some pretty significant trade offs in terms of batter life and image quality. The PS VR2 is only as "cheap" as it is because Sony makes so much money selling you the games.