RTX 4070 fans not spinning

DarrenB

Not the smartest when it comes to computers but I was sitting here and just noticed my GPU fans have not been spinning even when playing games. It sounds bad up until I factor in that everything works perfectly fine, no stutters, crashes or anything. Im not sure if the fans are not supposed to be spinning unless the GPU reaches a certain temperature but I am just confused thats all. Hope its nothing concerning. Would help a lot if someone has an explanation, thank you.

Yes it’s the normal behavior. Cards have a target temperature which they will try to stay as quiet as possible and only turn on active cooling when it becomes a necessity.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, DarrenB said:

Not the smartest when it comes to computers but I was sitting here and just noticed my GPU fans have not been spinning even when playing games. It sounds bad up until I factor in that everything works perfectly fine, no stutters, crashes or anything. Im not sure if the fans are not supposed to be spinning unless the GPU reaches a certain temperature but I am just confused thats all. Hope its nothing concerning. Would help a lot if someone has an explanation, thank you.

most 4070 models have a non fan mode where they only kick in at certain temperatures ( usually 60c or 100w of power draw ).
When playing light to medium titles the fans wont spin 🙂 Its to keep noise levels down during normal dekstop use and light tasks.
You can download MSI Afterburner ( works with non MSI cards ) and check that the temperatures are within safe limits ( anything under 85c )

You may want to turn the fans on if you're regularly playing games that are straddling the temperature threshold, since the other temps could be getting quite high (e.g. memory, VRM).

well check your temps, if its under or around 60c thats normal,  if its like 65c, or 70c or even more then you got a dud...!

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity