What's going on with Secret Shopper 3?

overbuilt_gaming

It's been 3 weeks since the last upload in that series, did it get delayed while Starforge sends you a white glove PC?  I'm sure if the issues were with Dell or someone else you would have just gone right on.  

I thought for sure it would have been released by Black Friday. I think there are two more episodes... who knows.

The issue wasn't with the machine itself, it was with cost/"extra" fees.

38 minutes ago, johnt said:

I thought for sure it would have been released by Black Friday. I think there are two more episodes... who knows.

Black Friday is still a ways off.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

No, it arrived packed poorly and the GPU retention bracket broke off on the motherboard.  I'm sure Starforge sent them a white glove built PC and was packed correctly.  What you're talking about is them (SF) whining about the original video on how it had the tax and tariffs all rolled into one line item.  

3 minutes ago, overbuilt_gaming said:

No, it arrived packed poorly and the GPU retention bracket broke off on the motherboard.  I'm sure Starforge sent them a white glove built PC and was packed correctly.  What you're talking about is them (SF) whining about the original video on how it had the tax and tariffs all rolled into one line item.  

It's not really whining when it's actually misrepresentation in the video. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'm not in the market for Starforge anything, nor will I ever be.  I'm more interested in the other brands results.  I know technically Black Friday is two weeks away but there are already "deals" out there from merchants trying to snatch early consumers.  Delaying a series called Secret Shopper so you can white glove review a bad PC mfg seems shady.  

Probably just editing/reworking something that showed up that needed adjusting.  When the whole starforge thing happened the LTT post indicated that the customer service video had at least been shot since Starforge had apparently passed that with flying colors.  

12 hours ago, Vilacom said:

Probably just editing/reworking something that showed up that needed adjusting.  When the whole starforge thing happened the LTT post indicated that the customer service video had at least been shot since Starforge had apparently passed that with flying colors.  

Adding to this. They will not release ANY of the videos in the series before all parts where brand could themselves affect the score are filmed. It would defeat the point of having "secret shopper" if brand could try to clean their image during RMA/support process of the challenge. 

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Adding to this. They will not release ANY of the videos in the series before all parts where brand could themselves affect the score are filmed. It would defeat the point of having "secret shopper" if brand could try to clean their image during RMA/support process of the challenge. 

Makes sense, except Starforge is already aware, so that ship has sailed.

1 minute ago, Sunoo said:

Makes sense, except Starforge is already aware, so that ship has sailed.

You mean they were before 2nd video was released? Or after it was released? Because in past when manufacturer has messes up, they got the info when videos were released and thus not when the filming was happening. 

The videos not being released doesn't mean that they haven't been shot yet.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

why would i not be suprised if they, aactually  forget to test theys computers correctly  and they already sold them off like they did with gpu block what caused huge drama some time ago.

37 minutes ago, overbuilt_gaming said:

Fanbois will be fanbois.  What proof do you have that I am wrong?  

????
That wasnt a fan boy statement I made. You made up an assertion of incredible bad faith with zero supporting evidence. 

There is nothing in your statement to disprove as what was claimed only supporting foundation is straight-up an ass pull of "I made it up"

1 hour ago, overbuilt_gaming said:

Fanbois will be fanbois.  What proof do you have that I am wrong?  

You typically can't prove a negative. It is up to you to prove they did this again and that is the reason we are not seeing anything new. The rest is either speculation or opinion.

On 11/10/2023 at 12:44 PM, dizmo said:

Black Friday is still a ways off.

It's not that far away, just about 2 weeks away

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

9 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

The videos not being released doesn't mean that they haven't been shot yet.

Indeed. They would've shot everything weeks ago already. Simply by releasing the first two videos, there's no way the other parts are not filmed already. Otherwise the system integrators could prepare themselves for the inevitable support call that will come in and ensure they pass with flying colors. The whole point of the series is making sure the companies are caught unaware with their pants down. Meaning by the time they even talk about Secret Shoppers, it's already done and over with.

The delay is more likely because they had to reshoot a few things to reflect more accurate information.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On 11/11/2023 at 7:16 PM, overbuilt_gaming said:

My speculation is they held up production so Starforge can send them a white glove PC and give them a good review.  

Tell me, why would company that is still recovering from their previous PR nightmare and scrutiny make such obvious journalistic error as let company they are reviewing to dictate their production process? Do you think Linus, or rather new CEO, is that stupid? Internet never forgets, and its still so new thing that whenever there's even something slight that doesn't fit the narrative of viewers, its brought up. Like here:

On 11/11/2023 at 6:55 PM, aqarwaen29 said:

why would i not be suprised if they, aactually  forget to test theys computers correctly  and they already sold them off like they did with gpu block what caused huge drama some time ago.

Posts like these show how little some people who comment here understand even basics of journalism (fake or real), media image or running a company. I don't pretend I would be expert, but just thinking LMG is somehow different from any other small-medium business, regardless of their product, is ridiculous. 

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 11/13/2023 at 9:37 AM, LogicalDrm said:

Tell me, why would company that is still recovering from their previous PR nightmare and scrutiny make such obvious journalistic error as let company they are reviewing to dictate their production process? Do you think Linus, or rather new CEO, is that stupid? Internet never forgets, and its still so new thing that whenever there's even something slight that doesn't fit the narrative of viewers, its brought up. Like here:

You mean the same person that made a big deal for not being contacted and given a chance to respond prior to a journalistic outlet releasing an expose on him/them, wouldn't let a company they are reviewing to dictate their production process in the same manner that he requested for himself but denies others, because "journalism bro"? Rules for thee and all that, color me shocked.

41 minutes ago, zaprqn said:

You mean the same person that made a big deal for not being contacted and given a chance to respond prior to a journalistic outlet releasing an expose on him/them, wouldn't let a company they are reviewing to dictate their production process in the same manner that he requested for himself but denies others, because "journalism bro"? Rules for thee and all that, color me shocked.

Contacted and given take is way different from essentially paying off. Which what OP here is suggesting. Thought, you are agreeing with me, while trying to make it that you would have opposing opinion.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

53 minutes ago, zaprqn said:

huh?

thats not how any of this works. You have to be intentionally misunderstanding how and when you contact an another party to be making statements like this. 

1 hour ago, starsmine said:

huh?

thats not how any of this works. You have to be intentionally misunderstanding how and when you contact an another party to be making statements like this. 

Yup, one person makes a video, about the goings on in a company that they deem having bad/anti consumer effects and potential damage to companies, and gets called unethical from the owner of said company, because he wasn't contacted to make a statement or given a chance to correct the issues before going public.

Another person, makes videos, omitting that they are recording the calls and misrepresenting themselves as customers trying to show or expose any wrongdoings, and then publishing the videos without giving the chance to the companies to make a statement or given a chance to correct the issues before going public. 

I'm not saying that the second action is bad on the contrary its exactly what journalism is about, just pointing out the hypocrisy of applying one sets of "journalistic" standards one way, but not the other when it concerns you. 

Coming back to this, I'm about month behind with WAN. In the 29th of September show Linus states that all purchase and support calls have been made. So maybe they are waiting response from brands to give them chance to explain themselves.

.... Something Steve on his crystal tower doesn't give a crap about. If you want to go there.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv