i9 13900K or i9 14900K stock cooling

Grand1200

Hello,

I'm going to mount 4 workstations with i9 13900K or 14900K.

I plan to use a 420mm AIO.

Is it worth it? or 360mm is good? (do you have some good AIO to recommend. ( without RGB or RGB I can disconnect).

I want to have the full capacity of CPU but not to much noise, it's a working computer 8h/day 220days/year.

Thanks a lot.

28 minutes ago, Grand1200 said:

Hello,

Is it worth it? or 360mm is good? (do you have some good AIO to recommend. ( without RGB or RGB I can disconnect).

I want to have the full capacity of CPU but not to much noise, it's a working computer 8h/day 220days/year.

Thanks a lot.

It's a bad idea imo

Servers need

• Energy efficiency, the i9 is just awful at it, look at any review
  • Secure 24/7 operation, AIO aren't good at that due to possible leaks

For this use case I'd get 7950x with a good dual tower aircooler

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

38 minutes ago, Grand1200 said:

Hello,

Thanks a lot.

Usecase?

Budget?

"Mount" as in rackmount like a server?

With that kinda usage a more efficient cpu would be prefferable as @PDifolco mentioned, though the 7950x has pretty abhorrent tuning out of the box so youll need to do a few bansic adjustments to get em to run efficiently (think theres some yt guides for this)

Hello, 

For the budget 3/4K.

The computeur will be use by designer on autodesk inventor running big assemblies, sims and FEA.

Actually we are using HP Z4 G4 workstation with xeon 2125 (64GB ram + Quadro P4000)

They worked great but the news generations of xeon are incredibely expensive (6/7k per station).

I'm wondering if the i9 is a good alternative. I saw on internet somepeople cool it with the noctua D15.

We try AMD few year ago but they ended up burning... I am not sure I want to try again...

4 minutes ago, Grand1200 said:

I'm wondering if the i9 is a good alternative. I saw on internet some people cool it with the noctua D15.

4 minutes ago, Grand1200 said:

We try AMD few year ago but they ended up burning... I am not sure I want to try again...

What generation of AMD was that? Not sure you're aware how high the power consumption is on these latest Intel CPUs for workstation usage. You can't really air cool them for heavily multithreaded workloads unless they're power limited and undervolted. With most air coolers they will instantly hit 100 degrees.

31 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Energy efficiency, the i9 is just awful at it, look at any review

I'm pretty sure the 13900K is more efficient than the 7950x in real world productivity and scales a lot better with power limiting for tasks that run under full load.

11 minutes ago, Grand1200 said:

I'm wondering if the i9 is a good alternative. I saw on internet somepeople cool it with the noctua D15.

You sure could aircool it or any other top of the line processor, it's just a matter of power limiting based on what cooler you get. With the Arctic 420mm you don't really have to power limit it unless you're doing non stop heavy tasks like offline renders.

11 minutes ago, Grand1200 said:

Hehe I'm sure it would be just fine and wont burn up. Although there would be other reasons why I would pick an intel processor for Autodesk software in general.

5 minutes ago, Tetras said:

You can't really air cool them for heavily multithreaded workloads unless they're power limited and undervolted

Would be pretty much the same with the 7900x or 7950x. You can't really aircool any of these CPUs without power limiting.

I recently switched from the 13900k to the 14900k, it runs much cooler than the 13900k did. In my experience it's more of an updated version of the 13900k, faster base and boost clocks while being more efficient. It's not a huge gap coming from the 13900k, so I'd keep that in mind for anyone thinking of upgrading that way. That said I went from the mid to high 90c range under load on a 360mm AIO with the 13, to the low 80c range with the same cooler on the 14. Overclocking/Undervolting is also much more forgiving on the 14 than it was on my 13. 

As far as server use goes it's a solid processor, as others have said I wouldn't use an AIO in a server. Get an NH-D15 or equivalent air cooler and I don't think you'll have any issues. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 hour ago, Grand1200 said:

Hello,

Thanks a lot.

You can always TDP limit the chip. The 14900k might scale on par at lower TDPs to the 13900k but not as good as the 7950x.

Core i9-13900K & Ryzen 9 7950X Scaling Performance: Peak Power/Temps & Gaming - A Lighter Touch: Exploring CPU Power Scaling On Core i9-13900K and Ryzen 9 7950X (anandtech.com)

CPU Power Scaling Conclusion, Watts the Point? - A Lighter Touch: Exploring CPU Power Scaling On Core i9-13900K and Ryzen 9 7950X (anandtech.com)

If your concern is low noise and longevity, TDP limiting either of those chips is best in my opinion. The extra wattage really doesn't give you much, on par with running an RTX 4090 at 90% TDP (400W) versus 133% TDP (600W).

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

31 minutes ago, Grand1200 said:

Had nothing to do with it being AMD though - so you're conjecture towards them is unfounded

At the end of the day - AMD is definitely the best for your use case AND cheaper. Up to you

Also - you probably don't want AIO coolers if you want it to be quiet. Pumps are always on and usually just as noisy as fans at full blast, except fans won't always be at full blast. Air cooling is more efficient, and with the right coolers it is quieter too.

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

9 hours ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

Had nothing to do with it being AMD though - so you're conjecture towards them is unfounded

At the end of the day - AMD is definitely the best for your use case AND cheaper. Up to you

Also - you probably don't want AIO coolers if you want it to be quiet. Pumps are always on and usually just as noisy as fans at full blast, except fans won't always be at full blast. Air cooling is more efficient, and with the right coolers it is quieter too.

coolers cant cool a 13900K or 14900K. so...🤷‍♂️ aio or custom loop it is. or get a lester cpu that cant be cooled by one.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

13 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

coolers cant cool a 13900K or 14900K. so...🤷‍♂️ aio or custom loop it is. or get a lester cpu that cant be cooled by one.

Not quite true

Though I will give you that most air coolers are definitely not up to par for them.

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

45 minutes ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

Not quite true

Though I will give you that most air coolers are definitely not up to par for them.

and then u put a case around it.. and  yeee  not so good

to be fair, this is only a benchmark / work scenario, for gaming its okey

16 minutes ago, NorKris said:

and then u put a case around it.. and  yeee  not so good

to be fair, this is only a benchmark / work scenario, for gaming its okey

seems like the mb have the cpu unlocked pushing passed the 253w and ya games cant push the cpu yet. is 83c then new 75c? 🤷‍♂️ no idea if that in a case or a test bench...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links