I own these games but have never played them: Which to prioritize?

Actual_Criminal

These are most of the semi-popular games I own that I haven't got round to playing. I do own some more (small indie-style / bunch of horror / multiplayer focused) games, but I have omitted them from this list. 

For the last couple of years, I have just been bashing Overwatch or other mind-numbing games for the most part like Bloons TD 6, Yugioh or COD. - Since I have bought some of these games, I am wasting my money if I don't really play them and it's not like they are bad games.

I would ask you to put them in order of what I should play, but in reality, I'll probably never have the time to play 100% of these games... So for now, please just state the top 3 (in order) of what I should definitely play in your opinion to avoid missing out on the game being great.

---

Agony UNRATED
Alien Isolation
(Have completed about 1/3 of it)
Assassin's Creed Valhalla
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: Arkham City
Cyberpunk 2077
Dark Souls: Remastered
(Never played the original)
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
Diablo IV
(Have completed about 10% of it)
Dishonored
Dishonored 2
Dishonored:: Death of the Outside
DmC Devil May Cry
DOOM
Elden Ring

Fallout 4
Far Cry 4
Far Cry 6
Gears of War 4
God Eater 2 Rage Burst
God Eater Resurrection
Halo Infinite
(If it has a campaign?)
Hollow Knight (Have completed about 10% of it)
Journey
Layers of Fear
Life is Strange
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance 
(Never played a MG game)
Metro 2033 Redux
Metro: Last Light Redux
Middle-Earth: Shadow of War
Monster Hunter: World
Nioh
(Have completed about 1/3 of it)
No Man's Sky
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Remnant: From the Ashes
(Have completed about 10% of it)
Resident Evil 6
The Evil Within
The Evil Within 2
The Room
The Room Two
Shadow Warrior 2
STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order
World War Z

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

I would play Elden Ring or Cyberpunk 2077 first. I beat both games several times and really enjoyed them.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

Hard to make a recommendation if we don't really know your tastes/preferences. My personal favorites would probably have to be

• Ori and the Will of the Wisps (though I prefer the first one)
  • DOOM (2016, I guess?)
  • Metro 2033, then Metro LL (since they build on one another)

Elden Ring is probably also worth a recommendation, though I haven't personally played that one yet. CP 2077 is good with the latest patches, though I'd recommend to mostly stick to the main story and major side content. Everything else ("random encounters") is pretty samey and boring.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

3 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Hard to make a recommendation if we don't really know your tastes/preferences. My personal favorites would probably have to be

• Ori and the Will of the Wisps (though I prefer the first one)
  • DOOM (2016, I guess?)
  • Metro 2033, then Metro LL (since they build on one another)

Elden Ring is probably also worth a recommendation, though I haven't personally played that one yet. CP 2077 is good with the latest patches, though I'd recommend to mostly stick to the main story and major side content. Everything else ("random encounters") is pretty samey and boring.

-I didn't even know there was more than one of Ori; do you think I should play the first one to understand the story?

-Yes, the 'modern' Doom. Tbf, I prefer the OG Doom aha.

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

Slightly unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't go based of popularity of the games. I'd see if there is a concept in any of these games that hooks you and go from there. If you just go into the best game now, simply for it being the best game, you will be impressed and after you are done, no other game will be able to stand up to it (until a better one comes out), since you have already played the best one out there.

If you actually get interested in a game and play it for its own merits, you are less likely to get burned out. Of course if you aren't really interested at all, there are tons of other hobbies out there too!

you've somehow bought a massive list of flagship games without playing any of them?

why?....

that aside, here's some recommendations off the list:

- "the room" series (we're up to 4 and a VR game now if i'm not mistaken) are laid back puzzle games with a supernatural-ish vibe. they're interesting to play around if you enjoy following the "story behind the puzzle".

- ori is apparently *the* platformer recently, it's not my sort of genre so i dont have first hand experience, but apparently it's awesome.

- life is strange.. is an experience. it'll either make you feel extremely indifferent, feel rewarded for completing segments, or make you feel completely shattered. again depends what you're into if it's your type of game or not.

I'd start with Dishonored - great game with some steampunk ambiance, and fairly short. Has some nice mechanics. Dishonored 2 is also ok, but you can play others and come back to it when you're in the mood.  

If you've played Fallout 3 and Fallout 3 New Vegas and liked them, continue with Fallout 4 ... it's OK.  If you didn't play fallout 3 and 3 new vegas, play those instead. New Vegas is better than Fallout 3, but 3 is better if you're into lore and story and fallout universe, as you learn the factions and lore and all that. 

Metro 2033 and Last Light should be considered one game - they're both fairly short and quite linear, probably around 10-20 hours of gameplay in total. Metro Exodus is the third in the series and better than both and worth playing if you didn't play it.  Play them in order. 

Dishonored is fps with some stealth mechanics and magic ,  Fallout 3 / Fallout 4  is fps/rpg  , Metro is linear fps ,  

Ori is platformer, but start with Ori and the blind forest (first ori if my memory is correct) 

If you like platformers and didn't play it yet, I'd suggest playing Celeste ... it has very good soundtrack and the game's also good.

Cyberpunk ... play it later, play the latest addon, but give it a few weeks to release patches and all that. Supposedly it's much improved compared to when it was released.

Life is strange is quite different than all these other games .. has some interesting mechanics.... good game to start and play for short periods, when you want to decompress. 

Actually haven't played most of the other games .... played Far Cry series, after the first few they're kinda the same,  DOOM is ok but just mindless shooting and fast paced, it's ok if you're into that...   I personally would try The Evil Within games  at some point and maybe gears of war 4 ... 

41 minutes ago, manikyath said:

- "the room" series (we're up to 4 and a VR game now if i'm not mistaken) are laid back puzzle games with a supernatural-ish vibe. they're interesting to play around if you enjoy following the "story behind the puzzle".

I thought that name sounded familiar

Ive actually played the first one on my moms old zenfone 6 back in 2014-2015 iirc, dont remember if i managed to beat it but if i didnt then im pretty sure i was close, might aswell give it a replay

Honestly thought it was a one off game back then

Dark Souls: Remastered is the one i'd recommend the most. In your first playthrough you can expect between 20-40 hours depending on how good you are with souls-likes.

Cyberpunk 2077 is also a really good game now, but give it one more month or so until they iron out a few remaining bugs in the DLC. It always had a great main story and side missions. Now the game around them is also great.

In the meantime you should also play Elden Ring. Once this game pulls you in, you have at least 100 hours of content.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

you've somehow bought a massive list of flagship games without playing any of them?

why?....

A handful of these flagship games came free with various PC parts and PC peripherals I had purchased for two desktops over the last 5-6 years.

Some I just bought because they were on offer or I got really hyped by the trailers, but I just never got round to playing them. 

7 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Dark Souls: Remastered is the one i'd recommend the most. In your first playthrough you can expect between 20-40 hours depending on how good you are with souls-likes.

Cyberpunk 2077 is also a really good game now, but give it one more month or so until they iron out a few remaining bugs in the DLC. It always had a great main story and side missions. Now the game around them is also great.

In the meantime you should also play Elden Ring. Once this game pulls you in, you have at least 100 hours of content.

-Yeah, Dark Souls: Remastered is one i've been meaning to play for a while. I know it will be overshadowed by Elden Ring, so best to get it out of the way. I did love number 2 (despite it being the least liked) and number 3.

-Is the DLC completely separate from the main story? I would rather just play the normal game first and if I do enjoy it, but the DLC to do the extra missions? Or does the DLC amend the main story if I buy it from the outset? 

-I have watched my friend play Elden Ring for a while and one thing that is putting me off is the landscape... the vast majority of areas appears to be the boring fields, but when I compare this to DS2 and DS3, the areas change drastically all the time 😕

23 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

-Yeah, Dark Souls: Remastered is one i've been meaning to play for a while. I know it will be overshadowed by Elden Ring, so best to get it out of the way. I did love number 2 (despite the liked) and number 3.

It's different. I wouldn't say it's worse than Elden Ring. I'd say Elden Ring and DS3 feel very similar in terms of game speed and combat style. DS1 is a lot slower and more methodical or strategic. But if you liked the game pace of DS2 then it's very likely you will also like DS1.

The interconnected world design and general atmosphere are still unmatched by any other souls-like. I'd go as far as saying the first half of this game is among the best gaming experiences i've ever had. Sadly there is a substantial dip in quality in the second half. But luckily the DLC makes up for that in the very late game.

-Is the DLC completely separate from the main story? I would rather just play the normal game first and if I do enjoy it, but the DLC to do the extra missions? Or does the DLC amend the main story if I buy it from the outset?

You can fully play the main story without buying the DLC or play through the DLC after finishing the main story. But if you have the DLC, it seamlessly integrates into the main game and it's story. There are still a few bugs that crept into the main game with the Phantom Liberty update though. And since the game gets regular updates at the moment, the modding community has a hard time keeping their mods compatible and up-to-date. So because of that i'd recommend to wait one or two months.

To be clear: In my experience there are no game breaking bugs anymore. It's a very good game right now and absolutely playable. If you have no problem putting up with the occasional animation bug or small issues like this and you don't really care about mods, i'd say give it a shot right now. I did a full 100% playthrough after the 2.00 update and it was a mostly seamless experience. They already released 2 updates since then to adress various small issues.

Since i am a mod enjoyer i can't be sure if the small isues i had are really the game's fault or because of the mods, some of which weren't even updated for the 2.0 update yet.

-I have watched my friend play Elden Ring for a while and one thing that is putting me off is the landscape... the vast majority of areas appears to be the boring fields, but when I compare this to DS2 and DS3, the areas change drastically all the time 😕

That's absolutely not true. There are around 8 main areas of the map that all completely change how the game looks. There is something to discover in every corner of the map, be it an item, a cave, dungeons, etc. I'd say it's one of the "fullest" open world maps i've ever seen. And (imo) they made all the right decisions when adapting the Souls game formula to an open world game.

Of course the feeling is vastly different with the Dark Souls games because they all have a more linear apporach to their world design. They're not split up into fixed levels with borders and loading screen in betwen so you still have a lot of freedom as a player, but they're not really "open world" by the traditional definition.

If you find an enemy you can't overcome in Elden Ring, you don't have to bash your head against that wall until it falls. You can also just go in another direction and continue exploring the world until you're stronger and then come back.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Actual_Criminal said:

-I didn't even know there was more than one of Ori; do you think I should play the first one to understand the story?

The first one is Ori and the Blind Forest (or rather Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition, the original one is no longer available for purchase)

I think you should be able to play the second one just fine without knowing the first one. They are metroidvania jump and runs, so it's not like there's some super deep lore. The first one is more difficult in some ways (though the new edition added difficulty levels). There's one section in particular that can be quite frustrating to get past at first.

The second one has more NPCs (shops and quest givers) and as such more upgrade paths and side content. Personally, I find these new additions more of a distraction from the core game mechanic, i.e. defeating enemies, unlocking skills and skill based obstacle traversal. I also found the music in the first one to be much more memorable and distinctive between areas.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Overwatch is f2p (that means it cost literally nothing), not pay to win either, but its actually skill based, so not everyone's cup of tea for sure.  

otherwise i have no idea why you buy so many games and don't play them...

ps: out of these games i only played monster hunter world, its a 10/10, also highly skill based, but the "story" actually gives you a decent idea what to do and time to practice... however time is the key, not easy at all to master (lvl 999 here,  highest lvl basically)  

And Nioh... i did like the first alpha a lot... the perfect game, but the final version was very watered down and somewhat boring.

14 hours ago, Actual_Criminal said:

please just state the top 3 (in order)

oh ok

Overwatch 2

Monster Hunter World 

Nioh (but only with mods, otherwise very forgetable) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I'd say Elden Ring, Doom and CP2077.

19 hours ago, Actual_Criminal said:

It is indeed very open, but with Elden Ring it didn't really bother me as it did lead up to interesting bosses and the like. I do think the feeling of not knowing what is out there does contribute notably to its experience, so if you do plan on playing it I would try to keep spoiling areas and such to a minimum.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

just my opinon:
Batman Arkham Asylum

Batman Arkham City

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 Core 12 Threads Motherboard TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING RAM 32GB Dual-Channel DDR4 GPU 11GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti Case be quiet! White OS Linux Mint Cinnamon