I have recently built a new setup for myself inside my Thermaltake Core WP200:

* Intel Core i9 13900K
* ASUS ROG Strix Geforce RTX 4070

* ASUS ROG Z790-F Gaming Wifi
* ASUS ROG Strix 1000W PSU
* ASUS ROG Ryujin III ARGB 360 AIO
* GSkill Trident Z5 RGB 6400
(Yes, it's an ROG-heavy build 🙂 )

Currently, the system is not overclocked and I feel like the CPU should run colder. I have applied some Kryonaut Extreme thermal paste and it definitely helped, but I am wondering if I can go colder. Here is the CPU temperature when running a stress test from Intel XTU (with all fans running at max speed, from Armoury Crate): 

image.png.cfcd4ccfa0012b7688288492f5b49553.png

It jumps to about 85° C and then hovers around 80° C. Ambient temp is 19° C. Idle package temperature is about 37° C.

I think that the airflow in my case may not be great. The system got a ton of space in that case, but maybe airflow is not great. I got 3 intake 140mm and 1 140mm exhaust (all Thermaltake Riing Quad) and the 3 radiator fans (the ones that came with the AIO). 

With basic overclocking from XTU, I quickly get thermal throttled. 

So, should my system run colder or is that expected temperature? What could I do to run it colder?

Thanks!

13900k... Hot hot hot chip. These temps are actually pretty good for a closed loop system.

You really won't see any temperature decreases if you don't go custom watercooling or installing a contact frame for the CPU.

My Rig: CPU : 10700K | RAM : Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz c16 32G (4x8) | CPU cooler : NHD15 | GPU : ASUS ProArt 4070 | PSU : Corsair RM850 (black label) | CASE : Corsair 5000D Airflow | Storage : Samsung 970 evo 1TB, WD Black 1TB, Samsung evo 850 Sata SSD | Casefans : Lian Li Unifan SL120 7X|

MOUSE : G Pro Wireless X superlight | Keyboard : Keychron C1- Pro-H1 Gateron Milky Reds

85c on a 13900k when the cpu is at 100% load is rather excellen as the 13900k is a stupidly hot running chip and almost no off the shelf cooler can cool it.

Doubly so when on an asus board as asus pumps waaaay more voltage into these things to keep em boosting full time which really ups the temps. Quick fix is to manually set voltage limits basically undetvolting the cpu to get the temps way down but keep the performance the same

we dont not know if this is good or bad based on the info given. The watt under load is a info we need to look at. 

but what we can say is that under gaming it wont get this hot. 

Thank you all for your answers!

I would not have thought these new generations would run so hot these days, haven't built in a while and first time AIO. 

Custom loops are not yet for me (thinking about it for the next build), but I will consider a contact frame. I did not think about that. That seems to make total sense for this CPU. I will also see if some tweaking of the airflow helps. 

5 minutes ago, Baptiste Wicht said:

(thinking about it for the next build), but I will consider a contact frame.

As someone who's done a fair few.

Just

Don't

It's so not worth the investment and all the hassle.

If the cpu runs too hot simply get a less hot one. If this is just a gaming pc good luck seeing a difference between a 13600k or 13900k. Hell the 7800x3d is flat out better than the new 14900k in games.

35 minutes ago, Baptiste Wicht said:

Thank you all for your answers!

I would not have thought these new generations would run so hot these days, haven't built in a while and first time AIO. 

Custom loops are not yet for me (thinking about it for the next build), but I will consider a contact frame. I did not think about that. That seems to make total sense for this CPU. I will also see if some tweaking of the airflow helps. 

i run a 39600x ryzen 9 on a 360mm aio from cooler master and while not as hot as your intel chip she was still hot at full load under an aida 64 stress test what i did since my case has room for it is i added an additional 3 120mm fans to the aio so i run all 6 aio fans in a push/pull config meaning the top 3 fans pull air in and the bottom 3 exhaust it into the case and since the aio is in the top of my case enthoo primo from phanteks the rear 120mm case fan sucks the hot case air out the back i also have two 120mm intakes at the front and two 120mm intakes on the bottom all fans but the rear exhaust are filtered with  dust filters so if your case has room for it consider adding 3 more aio fans see if the temps help another benefit of a push/pull config is the fans dotn have to work as hard to keep the cpu cool

On 10/26/2023 at 1:02 PM, jaslion said:

As someone who's done a fair few.

Just

Don't

It's so not worth the investment and all the hassle.

If the cpu runs too hot simply get a less hot one. If this is just a gaming pc good luck seeing a difference between a 13600k or 13900k. Hell the 7800x3d is flat out better than the new 14900k in games.

I think your "just don't" was in regards to the custom loop, not the contact frame, right?

Cuz contact frame are definitely good for 13th gen Intel...

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

I added an extra fan at the bottom, moved the PSU down, and got a few degrees colder under test!

I got an extra 100 pts on Cinebench, and the limit is now power limit. If I bump the thermal limit, I get back to thermal throttling, but for now this is great since I don't need to overclock. 

I would take Jaslions advice with a grain of salt. I know of many people who use the contact frame with no problems and good results.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

I actually already ordered a contact frame, but won't be delivered for at least another week. Based on everything I read, it's a good option for 13900k. I will report here my results once it's installed.

• 1 month later...

Small update: I have found a simple way to reduce the temperature drastically. I have disabled ASUS Multicore Enhancement in the BIOS. This put my temperature below 80 under Cinebench and the score improved slightly. I have never seen any thermal throttling since that change. I may play a little with undervolting next, but I won't go further. Seeing the new temperatures, I don't think I will take the risk of the contact frame. 

3 minutes ago, Baptiste Wicht said:

Small update: I have found a simple way to reduce the temperature drastically. I have disabled ASUS Multicore Enhancement in the BIOS. This put my temperature below 80 under Cinebench and the score improved slightly. I have never seen any thermal throttling since that change. I may play a little with undervolting next, but I won't go further. Seeing the new temperatures, I don't think I will take the risk of the contact frame. 

I still would make use of the contact frame, will keep your cpu running cooler and stop any consistent hot spots in the cpu if it is bending slightly and help to increase its lifespan

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

I don't mind the installation of the contact frame, but I am still afraid of breaking my MB. I have read many reports indicating errors with memory channels after doing that. What's the likelihood of that happening?

7 minutes ago, Baptiste Wicht said:

I don't mind the installation of the contact frame, but I am still afraid of breaking my MB. I have read many reports indicating errors with memory channels after doing that. What's the likelihood of that happening?

Ive never heard of it messing with memory channels but i dont doubt its a possibility, Id say if youre careful, take the current mounting frame off carefully and dont torque the thing to hell and back it should be fine

Though im on an AMD platform and so havent had the need for a frame so someone else would probably have a better knowledge of them, but id wager it probably will help with cooling even if just a little

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

On 12/22/2023 at 4:13 AM, Baptiste Wicht said:

If you over-tighten the screws, that'll crack your mobo, which will damage the traces and who knows what else. I suggest looking for info on the torque to avoid that. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

I finally installed the contact frame, and it went smoothly. 

Temperatures are down to an average of 73° C under Cinebench, against 79° C before the contact frame.