Good Enough Cooler For A i7-4790?

okkee

Hi. So, i had a system with a i5-4590 and  a cheap noname cooler which surprisingly kept temps low for the most part. Just moved up to a 4790 and i think i'm throttling. The first time i saw this was when i tried out the cpuz bench (which is pretty tame) and the number literally just continually decreases as time goes on. Ran the bench and the stress with HWINFO on the side and its not too often all the cpu temp readings are in red. It does play games without crashing though so its not the most urgent need. Anyways, this is one of the coolers i can pick up locally, the cooler master h411r https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/hyper-h411r/ and i wanted to know if its good enough. Also, any recommendations have to be amazon cause its pretty hard to get parts in my country. thanks!!

It's a great cooler, and sufficient for the CPU since it's 4th gen, Water coolers are only needed for the new gen cpu's that push higher temps and for use in HEAVY 4k gaming and rendering. I myself got an i5-4590 and use a T20 coolermaster and it rarely ever goes past 55'C when I play Minecraft, I've never seen it go past that temp, and the max operating temp is 72. The i7-4790 should be good for that cooler, just pair it with a good thermal paste not to much, just pea sized in an x or just the center and spread it out with a plastic spatula, make sure the heatsink is properly secured and voila you're good to go. Just test the temps for 30 minutes in the bios or on desktop with hwinfo to make sure the temps are stable. These copper based large fan on the side heatsinks are much better than the stock coolers.

It's got a higher TDP than 65watt CPU's so it fares pretty badly under the Intel stock cooler, but any modest cooling solution above the stock cooler will fit the bill typically...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

pretty much anything is better than the intel stock cooler. 

With that said, the CPU is worth like $30ish so don't go spending much on a cooler for it. Those funds should be earmarked for a newer system. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

On 10/25/2023 at 10:46 AM, okkee said:

Hi. So, i had a system with a i5-4590 and  a cheap noname cooler which surprisingly kept temps low for the most part. Just moved up to a 4790 and i think i'm throttling. The first time i saw this was when i tried out the cpuz bench (which is pretty tame) and the number literally just continually decreases as time goes on. Ran the bench and the stress with HWINFO on the side and its not too often all the cpu temp readings are in red. It does play games without crashing though so its not the most urgent need. Anyways, this is one of the coolers i can pick up locally, the cooler master h411r https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/hyper-h411r/ and i wanted to know if its good enough. Also, any recommendations have to be amazon cause its pretty hard to get parts in my country. thanks!!

I used to run a 4790k myself. The stock cooler can't keep up (couldn't launch Fallout 4 without my PC shutting down). The cooler you linked will do great for it though.

On 10/26/2023 at 12:53 AM, jaslion said:

Thermalright assisan 120

^^^

Sure they are worth about as much as that 4790 but the thing with getting a beefy cooler is that you can reuse it when you upgrade your platfrom

On 10/27/2023 at 2:14 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

^^^

Sure they are worth about as much as that 4790 but the thing with getting a beefy cooler is that you can reuse it when you upgrade your platfrom

As long as it can be mounted on newer stuff, absolutely agree!

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

8 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

As long as it can be mounted on newer stuff, absolutely agree!

Yea mounting can definitely be abit of an issue

Zipties wont be enough for a tower cooler, i mean it is mounted but theres no pressure in the middle so temps are gonna be garbage, and yes i have done this on an old xigmatek cooler i have laying around and temps are shit till i press the thing down on its base

But maybe a bracket attatched to the center of the coldplate would fix that issue

On 10/25/2023 at 10:29 PM, cmndr said:

pretty much anything is better than the intel stock cooler. 

With that said, the CPU is worth like $30ish so don't go spending much on a cooler for it. Those funds should be earmarked for a newer system. 

Get a good cooler that is also compatible with other chipsets you might upgrade to in the future if you get a new motherboard, then you can still use the cooler without buying a new one. You just won't be able to use it if you get a mb like 1700 LGA. Good luck.

5 hours ago, WackySpace said:

Get a good cooler that is also compatible with other chipsets you might upgrade to in the future if you get a new motherboard, then you can still use the cooler without buying a new one. You just won't be able to use it if you get a mb like 1700 LGA. Good luck.

new socket coolers mostly drop support for 1150 its kinda hard to find coolers these days...

Thermalright Assassin X 120R SE

Thermalright Assassin King 120 SE

Thermalright Assassin X 120R SE Plus

Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE

probly be the best imo

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links