PC fully shuts down under GPU load. Only turns back on after reseting the PSU

Kinetik
Go to solution Solved by johnt,
15 minutes ago, Kinetik said:

Any seconds opinions? I really don´t want to spend 150€ on a more powerful power supply to fix the issue.

You kind of nailed the issue on the head... I think you've gotten as much as you can out of this PSU.

image.thumb.png.c8b0600b73c695f309338f0000a8fbd2.png

Components:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3d

Zotac RTX 3070

ROG Strix B550-A Motherboard

64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz RAM

Enermax Revolution D.F. 650W (Around 3 years old. All other parts are new)

Built this PC about 9 Months ago. I didn´t change any of the hardware recently but the PC shuts off entirely when I start a game or do a GPU Benchmark. It´s like I pulled the power as it is instantly dead. Only way to turn it back on is to flip the switch on the PSU and wait a couple seconds. I have updated all my drivers, reset BIOS and checked all my Power Cables. Temperatures are fine and never got higher than 65 degrees.

I suspect it is a power issue. The PSU is used and since issues occur only under load I think the PSU shuts of for safety. Any seconds opinions? I really don´t want to spend 150€ on a more powerful power supply to fix the issue.

17 minutes ago, Kinetik said:

Components:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3d

Zotac RTX 3070

ROG Strix B550-A Motherboard

64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz RAM

Enermax Revolution D.F. 650W (Around 3 years old. All other parts are new)

Built this PC about 9 Months ago. I didn´t change any of the hardware recently but the PC shuts off entirely when I start a game or do a GPU Benchmark. It´s like I pulled the power as it is instantly dead. Only way to turn it back on is to flip the switch on the PSU and wait a couple seconds. I have updated all my drivers, reset BIOS and checked all my Power Cables. Temperatures are fine and never got higher than 65 degrees.

I suspect it is a power issue. The PSU is used and since issues occur only under load I think the PSU shuts of for safety. Any seconds opinions? I really don´t want to spend 150€ on a more powerful power supply to fix the issue.

the psu seems to be the isue try undervolting it might help but ur probly gunna have to upgrade it i recomend a good 850watt

15 minutes ago, Kinetik said:

Any seconds opinions? I really don´t want to spend 150€ on a more powerful power supply to fix the issue.

You kind of nailed the issue on the head... I think you've gotten as much as you can out of this PSU.

21 minutes ago, Kinetik said:

I really don´t want to spend 150€ on a more powerful power supply to fix the issue.

Well you have to because that is a clear cut PSU issue. Unless you are OK with underclocking and undervolting the card.

9 minutes ago, johnt said:

Thanks for the reply! Where exactly did you get the screenshot btw?

12 minutes ago, Kinetik said:

Thanks for the reply! Where exactly did you get the screenshot btw?

The Cultists Network... I think LTT has a thread with similar information. https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

I just located your PSU on the list and clicked on it for more info. It takes a little time for newer products to show up, but mature PSUs are all here. Generally speaking, you want a device that's on the A or B tiers. The products become unsafe the lower they are ranked.

Please check if perhaps you're on the nvidia 545.84 driver:

My pc started having such behavior yesterday after some time of playing when the GPU load was raising while I was joining the next session in online game.

Today I had 100% repro on just launching another game to a point that power supply just shut down and didn't reboot.