Option to cut a hole into my case without having to invest in a dremmel?

rereretrograde

My PC's cable management is HORRIBLE. But to my credit, I feel like I was never given a fair chance to do it in the first place.

You see, this is a computer from 2013. I believe my father bought it prebuilt, and it came with a GTX 650 in there, if I recall, did not require 6 pin power. So I think the manufacturer didn't cut this hole in the bottom for the power supply, since the GPU didn't need it to route to the rest of the components. I don't know how the components were originally cable managed, since in 2013, I was 10 years old. It was only ever officially given to me when I was 14.

image.thumb.jpeg.f891293b8a87c8b9f307295aaca6ad9d.jpeg

Here's the entire computer with the side panel off. A you can see, there's a rats nest of wires down there even with a modular power supply.image.thumb.jpeg.884da02be52cb093a56d95120662495f.jpeg

Here are those suspicious indents in the bottom that I feel are meant to be cut out so that there's enough space in there for the connectors to reach the bottom of the motherboard.

image.thumb.jpeg.3a502fa23315100d2ae8b9a33e5bad47.jpeg

Here's a better look at the indent I feel where the power supply's wires are supposed to go.

So, are there options for me to cut holes in these places so that my case's airflow wont be so bad anymore? I have run into overheating issues while using handbrake before, and before investing into a cooler, I feel maybe getting these intake fans working again and clearing out this rats nest is a cheaper place to start first to see if it solves my overheating issues.

30 minutes ago, rereretrograde said:

My PC's cable management is HORRIBLE. But to my credit, I feel like I was never given a fair chance to do it in the first place.

You see, this is a computer from 2013. I believe my father bought it prebuilt, and it came with a GTX 650 in there, if I recall, did not require 6 pin power. So I think the manufacturer didn't cut this hole in the bottom for the power supply, since the GPU didn't need it to route to the rest of the components. I don't know how the components were originally cable managed, since in 2013, I was 10 years old. It was only ever officially given to me when I was 14.

Here's the entire computer with the side panel off. A you can see, there's a rats nest of wires down there even with a modular power supply.image.thumb.jpeg.884da02be52cb093a56d95120662495f.jpeg

Here are those suspicious indents in the bottom that I feel are meant to be cut out so that there's enough space in there for the connectors to reach the bottom of the motherboard.

Here's a better look at the indent I feel where the power supply's wires are supposed to go.

So, are there options for me to cut holes in these places so that my case's airflow wont be so bad anymore? I have run into overheating issues while using handbrake before, and before investing into a cooler, I feel maybe getting these intake fans working again and clearing out this rats nest is a cheaper place to start first to see if it solves my overheating issues.

Angle grinder

or

A drill & hacksaw blade

or

A drill & a sheet metal cutter (if the material is thin enough)

And no, those cables being where they currently are isn't what making your PC overheat.

I have a PC with pretty much worse cable mess than that with a 3080 and it doesn't even reach 80c hotspot in superposition at 1440p

Your problem most likely either or all of these :

1. Thermal Paste and/or pads needs replacement.

2. Need better intake and/or exhaust fan.

3. Need more intake holes

4. Need better cooler

How to increase temp by bad "cable management" :

Anyhoo..., If you do cut a hole, please make sure you deburr it well, so that it won't shred your cables into trash.

or... your finger.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

3 minutes ago, rereretrograde said:

depnedss how much time you have a dreaml will take muinte4s but if u wanted u could use sandpaper and take 3 days so somthing like a cheap saw a jigfsaw a fiule u could use 

16 minutes ago, rereretrograde said:

Those aren't indents just for cutouts I don't think..  They are indents for strength.  A purely flat surface is weak as compared to a corrugated one.  

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Drill a hole and use tin snips. Use a file to debur if needed.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

As mentioned the raised bit isn't meant to be cut, it's just there for rigidity of the mobo plate. That case is just from before cabling behind the mobo became the trend, this thing for example is there to be able to zip tie your cable bundles to the tray on the front.

image.png.5df081e1586b0e8c819001be382d9f24.png

Cable management is just aesthetics though, that won't change your temps any significantly.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

59 minutes ago, rereretrograde said:

So, are there options for me to cut holes in these places so that my case's airflow wont be so bad anymore? I have run into overheating issues while using

Thats not why it's having heat issues. cables are barely in the way.

What are your specs? Also what case is this? I see you use a stock amd cooler which is just enough/not enough a simple cooler upgrade for the cpu solves all your issues.

Also this case clearly wasn't made to have cable management. This is a very old way of doing it and is a budget case with no real behind the board cable management. It just used a generic press fit backplane for a more expansive case hence why some stuff is there and other stuff is not.

32 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Thats not why it's having heat issues. cables are barely in the way.

What are your specs? Also what case is this? I see you use a stock amd cooler which is just enough/not enough a simple cooler upgrade for the cpu solves all your issues.

Also this case clearly wasn't made to have cable management. This is a very old way of doing it and is a budget case with no real behind the board cable management. It just used a generic press fit backplane for a more expansive case hence why some stuff is there and other stuff is not.

I'm using a 5600g and a 6700xt. I am using a stock cooler because I was told that the Wraith stealth would be enough for it. I do know my fan intakes are not plugged in right now, because the b450 ds3h I got only has 1 fan header as opposed to the 3 I used to have on my old Z77 asrock.

The overheating comes from using handbrake to encode and compress videos, which I do a lot, in gaming, I don't actually have any issues. When using handbrake over an extended period of time, the 5600g eventually throttles, slowing encoding time to an agonizingly long time.

Like I said however, I thought improving case airflow would be a good start, and would be cheaper than getting a new air cooler. Though I think i should try opening the side panel and just pointing a standing fan at it to see if that improves temps at all and determine if airflow really is the issue.

2 hours ago, rereretrograde said:

I'm using a 5600g and a 6700xt. I am using a stock cooler because I was told that the Wraith stealth would be enough for it. I do know my fan intakes are not plugged in right now, because the b450 ds3h I got only has 1 fan header as opposed to the 3 I used to have on my old Z77 asrock.

The overheating comes from using handbrake to encode and compress videos, which I do a lot, in gaming, I don't actually have any issues. When using handbrake over an extended period of time, the 5600g eventually throttles, slowing encoding time to an agonizingly long time.

Like I said however, I thought improving case airflow would be a good start, and would be cheaper than getting a new air cooler. Though I think i should try opening the side panel and just pointing a standing fan at it to see if that improves temps at all and determine if airflow really is the issue.

Then you might need a better cooler for your CPU, or a better intake and/or exhaust system.

Opening side panel and pointing a fan at it will help more than a cable management. That's for sure.

Although if you get a big drop in temp by doing so, most often insinuate that the PC lacked fresh air and/or exhaust.

Idk what case you got, but from the pic, I assume it's 1 front intake only.

If you have only 1 system fan header, you need to buy a fan hub. Preferably one with SATA external power input.

They're like... $2-$10 depending on how good of a look you want them to be.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Is there a intake in the upper 5.25 bay? I don't know if bay covers have any ventilation, but just remove them if they don't. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

20 hours ago, rereretrograde said:

Depending on what you choose to buy, a cooler may be cheaper and work (or not). Without knowing your typical temps and durations, it's just a guess. 

Buy a less expensive cooler that is top notch for under $50, but you still need to resolve the fan problem. That cooler is not the best choice for what you're doing. 

Buy a fan hub or controller powered by the PSU with as many ports in it as you're ever likely to need, plug it into the PSU and use whatever options are available to control your fans. By options, if it plugs into the header or USB or some other mobo I/O, BIOS and software. If it doesn't, and/or comes use the external controls like buttons, toggles, dials or RC...

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

A Bi-metal hole saw works well, and come in many sizes

20190825_141813.thumb.jpg.e5e69c3a4e146dc3914fc29774b1bb1a.jpg

20190825_145541.thumb.jpg.7ea8b94b20269ce94242a1db7f5a6e92.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25