Help with grounding myself

I have an anti-static wrist strap so can I hook the alligator clip to the outside of my anti-static bag my motherboard came in or can I hook it on the metal fan grill of my PSU or just some bear metal on my case?

Go to the naughty corner? No computer for a week?

For realsys tho

Just attach it to something metal like you case or psu (plugged in)

Out could also just touch the back of your case or psu aswell

@Aussie_Potato

Hook it to the PSU's fan grill with it plugged in but off.

So plug the PSU into my wall socket and have the PSU turned off?

yup

HTTP 404 = Server cannot be reached please try again later, try refreshing(F5) the page or re-enable your wireless

Yes, or even hook it up to the case, just make sure the PSU is off but is plugged in to the wall socket.

Yes. You plug it in but turn the PSU off with the switch on the back.

i'm a potato

do you I have my wall socket delivering a current to my psu?

do you I have my wall socket delivering a current to my psu?

Use the quote or tag them button to notify others about your comment to them

Thanks sorry for my nuisance im new to the whole grounding concept

Yes, or even hook it up to the case, just make sure the PSU is off but is plugged in to the wall socket.

Do NOT work on a computer while it is plugged into the wall. If the the PSU(either broken switch or if it shorts) malfunctions it can electrocute you.

It wouldnt help anyway, you are trying to ground yourself to the case, not to the earth. Electrostatic shock has no need to go all the way to the ground.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Do NOT work on a computer while it is plugged into the wall. If the the PSU(either broken switch or if it shorts) malfunctions it can electrocute you.

It wouldnt help anyway, you are trying to ground yourself to the case, not to the earth. Electrostatic shock has no need to go all the way to the ground.

Well this is correct, if the PSU shorts it will electrocute you, I assumed the PSU was working properly. Anyway in 90% of the times I ground myself to the metal on the case and it's good enough.

Metal casings are better , hooking it to a plugged in PSU will do the job. (not powered on)

:ph34r: ninja never wanders

Details separate people.

Unless you have the socket switched off at the wall and live in a country that uses grounded mains cables. Like the UK.

This. I totally agree with this. Even though I never ground my self. Like, ever.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Anti-Static wriststrap lol

Well connect it to anything that is metal (ideally bare metal and not painted) but in all the years I've played with computer parts, I have never used anti-static anything because I always ground myself out on the case where there is bare metal or most of the time the screws that hold the PSU in place, not once have I ever damaged any PC components with ESD

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I have seen this advised in lots of places, but :-

I (<Note )WOULDN'T do it.  If the switch is faulty at all, you could be solidly attaching yourself to live equipment.

Try getting a velcro strap off or unclipping the alligator clip with 110 or 240 volts going through you. Mind you the force catapulting you across the room will probably dislodge the clip.

Personally I feel some people are too precious about ESD, touching the case is usually ample especially in humid countries .

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Unless you have the socket switched off at the wall and live in a country that uses grounded mains cables. Like the UK.

it dont matter, there is always failure points in switches that can close the circuit. as for grounded mains, we have that here,too. it's still just as dangerous.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

it dont matter, there is always failure points in switches that can close the circuit. as for grounded mains, we have that here,too. it's still just as dangerous.

It's as 'dangerous' in the highly unlikely event that everything goes horrendously wrong on all levels.

The mains switch is off, the PSU is off. So the mains switch would need to malfunction at exactly the same time as the PSU decides to try and electrocute you. While you are holding onto the side of the case.

The risk is minimal. But ofc. It's a pointless risk to take. So yeah. Personally I never work on my computer when it's plugged in.

I just ground myself with a quick hold of the metal case, before I do anything.

just a metal part of the case will be fine, that's what i do.

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.

I just make sure I touch the case before touching anything else in the pc. This is coming from someone who has built a pc on a carpet floor with socks on multiple times. Never once had anything happen.