overheating laptop

MOBHUNTER100

so i have lenovo legion 5 laptop it is mid level gaming laptop with ryzen 5 5600h+gtx 1650 4gb+16gb ram+ 512gb sk hynix m.2 ssd recently my latop temps touchs almost 90 degree celcius on cpu and 75 on gpu so as an little bit of a technical guy i thought it is the time to replace thermal paste as it is over 3 year since i bought my laptop and never changed the thermal paste i used Cooler Master Cryofuze Thermal Paste for it.

After changing thermal paste gpu temps now stays between 35 when not doing any heavy work and touchs 65 on load but my concern is cpu it draws over 65 watts on load and now the temps go as high as 98 degree so i'm worried here did i do something wrong i check my laptops power draw specification on lenovo site it says reyzen 5 5600h should draw maximum of 45 watts but now it is way over 45 watts and my laptop does not have any software to undervolt the cpu so i want some advice or some suggestion 

8 minutes ago, MOBHUNTER100 said:

so i have lenovo legion 5 laptop it is mid level gaming laptop with ryzen 5 5600h+gtx 1650 4gb+16gb ram+ 512gb sk hynix m.2 ssd recently my latop temps touchs almost 90 degree celcius on cpu and 75 on gpu so as an little bit of a technical guy i thought it is the time to replace thermal paste as it is over 3 year since i bought my laptop and never changed the thermal paste i used Cooler Master Cryofuze Thermal Paste for it.

After changing thermal paste gpu temps now stays between 35 when not doing any heavy work and touchs 65 on load but my concern is cpu it draws over 65 watts on load and now the temps go as high as 98 degree so i'm worried here did i do something wrong i check my laptops power draw specification on lenovo site it says reyzen 5 5600h should draw maximum of 45 watts but now it is way over 45 watts and my laptop does not have any software to undervolt the cpu so i want some advice or some suggestion 

Modern CPUs will boost way past their rating, the TDP is pretty much just an orientation nowadays. My i7 10750H is also a 45W chip but can draw up to 105W if stressed with prime95 and the highest I've seen it go in games is around 65W. Laptop CPUs do run hot, can you get HWinfo64 and open the CPU temperature graph? (I'd also set the update interval to 500ms). If the temperature goes to that 98°C within a short amount of time like a minute, I'd consider checking the mounting pressure on the cooler and make sure that it's even.
You CAN undervolt, but it's most often done in the BIOS or in Ryzen master (I think, I'm an Intel guy, never worked with AMD before)

Edited by DreamCat04
Added more since I hit enter on accident

24 minutes ago, DreamCat04 said:

Modern CPUs will boost way past their rating, the TDP is pretty much just an orientation nowadays. My i7 10750H is also a 45W chip but can draw up to 105W if stressed with prime95 and the highest I've seen it go in games is around 65W. Laptop CPUs do run hot, can you get HWinfo64 and open the CPU temperature graph? (I'd also set the update interval to 500ms). If the temperature goes to that 98°C within a short amount of time like a minute, I'd consider checking the mounting pressure on the cooler and make sure that it's even.
You CAN undervolt, but it's most often done in the BIOS or in Ryzen master (I think, I'm an Intel guy, never worked with AMD before)

but in the span of 3 years it never touched 90 but now it does this is what i'm worried about

laptop? gaming? 3 years?

pop that bad boy (if you can) and reapply the thermal paste, see how that does for your temps

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

2 minutes ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

laptop? gaming? 3 years?

pop that bad boy (if you can) and reapply the thermal paste, see how that does for your temps

i did brother i reapplied thermal paste i used cooler master cryofuse but it rose the temps to 98 degree celcius

8 minutes ago, MOBHUNTER100 said:

i did brother i reapplied thermal paste i used cooler master cryofuse but it rose the temps to 98 degree celcius

oof - Fans seem like they are running up to speed? 

16 minutes ago, MOBHUNTER100 said:

You probably made it worse, Lenovo uses Honeywell PTM 7950 for their Legions...

At least they used to, not sure if the newest ones do as well.

Your temps were fine before you "fixed" things xD.
They run hot, so what, as long as it isn't downclocking no need to touch it...

I have a 6th gen Legion 5 Pro, and 90c on CPU is normal under sustained load.
Ambient temps play a role as well, 90c at ambient 24c is normal, so is 94c at ambient 28c.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

1 hour ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

yes they do run very fast

1 hour ago, Biohazard777 said:

Ambient temps play a role as well, 90c at ambient 24c is normal, so is 94c at ambient 28c.

i'm gonna try liquid metal now as much as i know liquid metal is much better than any thermal paste in market

2 minutes ago, MOBHUNTER100 said:

i'm gonna try liquid metal now as much as i know liquid metal is much better than any thermal paste in market

I'd advise against it... it is conductive... and you are gonna apply it inside a machine that gets lugged around, flipped, etc.
So far you've only made temps worse, with LM you have potential to actually kill it.
I suggest using the same material that it came with originally... but that is just my advice, you do whatever you like with it. 😄

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

49 minutes ago, MOBHUNTER100 said:

Please don't. Just get a highly rated thermal paste

On 9/20/2023 at 1:51 PM, MOBHUNTER100 said:

but in the span of 3 years it never touched 90 but now it does this is what i'm worried about

completely clean it, repaste everything,  any thermal pads etc......

this is completely normal for a laptop after 3 years...........

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 9/20/2023 at 10:15 AM, Biohazard777 said:

I'd advise against it... it is conductive... and you are gonna apply it inside a machine that gets lugged around, flipped, etc.
So far you've only made temps worse, with LM you have potential to actually kill it.
I suggest using the same material that it came with originally... but that is just my advice, you do whatever you like with it. 😄

+1000!!! Do Not put liquid metal on a laptop, especially if youve never done it to anything before and you arent sure what the ihs is made of etc... thats a disaster waiting to happen. The PTM 7950 is great for lappys or a Kryosheet.

Does it have dust in it if so clean it out

-peace

Sky

14 hours ago, Skyblock said:

Does it have dust in it if so clean it out

-peace

Sky

On 9/29/2023 at 2:32 PM, AI_Must_Di3 said:

+1000!!! Do Not put liquid metal on a laptop, especially if youve never done it to anything before and you arent sure what the ihs is made of etc... thats a disaster waiting to happen. The PTM 7950 is great for lappys or a Kryosheet.

On 9/25/2023 at 9:46 AM, Mark Kaine said:

completely clean it, repaste everything,  any thermal pads etc......

this is completely normal for a laptop after 3 years...........

On 9/20/2023 at 8:26 PM, ItTakes2ToMango said:

Please don't. Just get a highly rated thermal paste

On 9/20/2023 at 7:45 PM, Biohazard777 said:

On 9/20/2023 at 5:53 PM, Biohazard777 said:

On 9/20/2023 at 5:48 PM, ItTakes2ToMango said:

On 9/20/2023 at 5:35 PM, ItTakes2ToMango said:

laptop? gaming? 3 years?

On 9/20/2023 at 4:55 PM, DreamCat04 said:

want to let everybody know that i have solved that overheating problem the problem was that i hadn't cleaned previous thermal paste properly so this time i used isoproply and cotton brush to clean it properly and i also cleaned the surrounding area that has little component around the main chip and that solved it my temps are now 34 degree celcius when idling and when in heavy load it never cross 83 degree celcius and all these reading are taken when my room temperature is 29 degree celcius and one more thing i noticed is now my cpu power consumption is below 46 watts when the first time i applied the thermal paste cpu consumption is above 60 watts even when i'm when doing not so much of a heavy work i guess cleaning those little components did the work and i used the same thermal paste that i used the very first time (Cooler master cryo fuse)