What is the most powerful GPU that Ryzen 2700X won't bottleneck?

SandyBay

I have Ryzen 2700X and recently my GTX 1060 after 5 years of good job started to manifest me chip delamination. It can die at any second so I decided to buy a new one. I have enough money to buy an RTX 4070 or RX 7800 XT, but I don't have enough money to buy an AM5 motherboard, AM5 CPU, and DDR5 memory for this GPU. So I should buy something weaker which can be fully loaded with my 2700X. What is the most powerful GPU that Ryzen 2700X won't bottleneck at all?

1 minute ago, SandyBay said:

So I should buy something weaker which can be fully bottlenecked by my 2700X. What is the most powerful GPU that Ryzen 2700X can bottleneck on 100%?

I don't understand what this sentence means. What are you trying to get at here?

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

4 minutes ago, SandyBay said:

I have Ryzen 2700X and recently my GTX 1060 after 5 years of good job started to manifest me chip delamination. It can die at any second so I decided to buy a new one. I have enough money to buy an RTX 4070 or RX 7800 XT, but I don't have enough money to buy an AM5 motherboard, AM5 CPU, and DDR5 memory for this GPU. So I should buy something weaker which can be fully bottlenecked by my 2700X. What is the most powerful GPU that Ryzen 2700X can bottleneck on 100%?

It depends on what you are going to use your PC for. There is no definitive answer either way. Only educated guesses. And I don't have the experience with this kind of stuff to give you advice.

Omg, it's a signature!

3 minutes ago, Skipple said:

I don't understand what this sentence means. What are you trying to get at here?

They want to buy the highest end GPU possible without the CPU becoming the bottleneck.

Omg, it's a signature!

3 minutes ago, Skipple said:

This is what happens when the greater computer community finds the word bottleneck.

As far as I understand it OP is asking what's the most powerful gpu a 2700X can use that won't be bottlenecked.

6 minutes ago, Skipple said:

I think its the inverse. What is the minimum GPU that can bottle neck my 2700X. Other than this possibility or the misunderstanding of the word bottleneck, i have no idea what it could mean.

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

5 minutes ago, SandyBay said:

I have enough money to buy an RTX 4070 or RX 7800 XT, but I don't have enough money to buy an AM5 motherboard, AM5 CPU, and DDR5 memory for this GPU. 

What about something like a 5600 or a 5800X3D and keeping your current board and memory? 

3 minutes ago, SandyBay said:

So I should buy something weaker which can be fully bottlenecked by my 2700X. 

No. No. Just no. 

Buy the best GPU you have the budget for. If it has more performance than the 2700X can keep up with, that just means that when you replace the 2700X there is less chance of also having to upgrade the GPU again.

This mentality of trying to avoid "bottlenecks" at any cost only traps people in a cycle of buying weak hardware. 

There is always a bottleneck. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

What are your display settings? Like resolution and refresh rate.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

My 5600XT was bottlenecked by my 2700X at 1080p games. Around 2060 strength. If you buy a 4070TI or 7800XT and don't plan to play at 4K you'll be getting less than you paid for. If you plan to play 1440p or lower then I suggest a CPU upgrade. Either get a 5800X3D while they're still around or jump entirely onto AM5.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

18 minutes ago, SandyBay said:

AM5 motherboard, AM5 CPU, and DDR5 memory for this GPU

just upgrade to a 5800X3D and get a 6700 xt

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

To answer this question in for you, we'd need to know the complete list of games that you play, what monitor resolution and refresh rate you have, and whether you try to push for FPS or visual quality in the games that you play. All of these matter in determining whether your 2700X will become the bottleneck. Even then, there will probably be edge cases where the situation flips.

Let me try to explain what I'm talking about with an extreme example: even an i5 7400 will not be the bottleneck for an RTX 4090 in Control at 4K max setttings. The RTX 4090 will bottleneck an i5 7400.

The game Control is an outlier, because it uses very minimal CPU resources while being incredibly demanding on GPUs at max settings, but it is a real game all the same. If you play Control, you will not find any GPU where your 2700X won't keep up just fine. It will probably take at least 2 more generations of RTX GPUs before your 2700X will be the primary performance limiting component (the bottleneck) in Control.

On the flipside, if you play CS:GO at 720p lowest settings, your 2700X is already the primary performance limiting component. Your 1060 is going to be yawning, bored, sitting around chucking ping pong balls at the wall waiting for your 2700X to prepare the next frame for it, probably sitting at some absurdly low 20% utilization.

Resolution, target frame rate, target settings, and the specific game are all necessary factors to consider when looking at what will bottleneck a system.

Guys, I'm sorry a lot. I meant the opposite meaning what the word "bottleneck" really means. I edited my first post.

30 minutes ago, SandyBay said:

I have Ryzen 2700X and recently my GTX 1060 after 5 years of good job started to manifest me chip delamination. It can die at any second so I decided to buy a new one. I have enough money to buy an RTX 4070 or RX 7800 XT, but I don't have enough money to buy an AM5 motherboard, AM5 CPU, and DDR5 memory for this GPU. So I should buy something weaker which can be fully bottlenecked by my 2700X. What is the most powerful GPU that Ryzen 2700X can bottleneck on 100%?

I believe your question is: What is the GPU to match my Ryzen 7 2700X processor? Why the AM5 upgrade, you can still upgrade on AM4 just fine and save a lot of money.

There's no way to take a CPU/GPU/RAM combo and say definitively whether or not the system "will bottleneck". For starters any PC will have a bottleneck somewhere because performance is finite and components are never all used at 100% capacity all the time. It's just that in the context of PC gaming most gamers will want their GPU to be the limiting factor (because games are GPU-intensive and graphics cards are expensive yo), but there's nothing intrinsically wrong with being CPU limited either.

But to answer you question: there's no way to tell. Different games will use your components differently, and even within individual games the actual settings (and resolution) will have a fairly significant impact on relative CPU/GPU utilization. So it kinda depends on what you play and how you play it.

Now personally, if i had a 2700X and was playing at 1080p or 1440p and was looking for a GPU upgrade i'd first seriously consider looking into flipping your CPU and getting a 5th gen ryzen CPU. I used to have a 1700 for a while but more recently sold that CPU and bought a used 5600x (yeah fewer cors but i didn't need 8 cores realistically), which performs a hell of a lot better. The upgrade didn't end up costing me a whole lot in the end. Thank god for forward compatibility.

If that wasn't an option (either because of cost or if my board wasn't compatible with 5th gen) I'd probably not go much beyond mid-range for GPUs (7600XT/6700XT territory at most), but it isn't much more than an educated guess.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

36 minutes ago, SandyBay said:

Guys, I'm sorry a lot. I meant the opposite meaning what the word "bottleneck" really means. I edited my first post.

What is the budget you have available to upgrade your PC?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

What is the budget you have available to upgrade your PC?

The price of 4070/7800.

Just now, SandyBay said:

The price of 4070/7800.

Just give us a figure in a specific currency. The price of a specific part can vary depending on where you are. 

4 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Just give us a figure in a specific currency. The price of a specific part can vary depending on where you are. 

900$

900$

4070 is $600 anywhere in the US, though?

For $900 you can get a 5800X3D, keep your current board, keep your current RAM, and still have ~$550-600 to play with for a GPU that will outperform your 1060 by 2-3x. 

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

4070 is $600 anywhere in the US, though?

I don't live in the US.

3 minutes ago, Middcore said:

5800X3D

Here in my country it costs 540$.

4 minutes ago, Middcore said:

and still have ~$550-600 to play with for a GPU that will outperform your 1060 by 2-3x. 

I don't think so, here PC components are more expensive than in the US.

Just now, SandyBay said:

I don't live in the US.

Hard not to feel like you're being a little obtuse here. What country do you live in and what retailers do you have access to? Then we can maybe get info on your local pricing to make meaningful suggestions. 

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

To answer this question in for you, we'd need to know the complete list of games that you play, what monitor resolution and refresh rate you have, and whether you try to push for FPS or visual quality in the games that you play. All of these matter in determining whether your 2700X will become the bottleneck. Even then, there will probably be edge cases where the situation flips.

Let me try to explain what I'm talking about with an extreme example: even an i5 7400 will not be the bottleneck for an RTX 4090 in Control at 4K max setttings. The RTX 4090 will bottleneck an i5 7400.

The game Control is an outlier, because it uses very minimal CPU resources while being incredibly demanding on GPUs at max settings, but it is a real game all the same. If you play Control, you will not find any GPU where your 2700X won't keep up just fine. It will probably take at least 2 more generations of RTX GPUs before your 2700X will be the primary performance limiting component (the bottleneck) in Control.

On the flipside, if you play CS:GO at 720p lowest settings, your 2700X is already the primary performance limiting component. Your 1060 is going to be yawning, bored, sitting around chucking ping pong balls at the wall waiting for your 2700X to prepare the next frame for it, probably sitting at some absurdly low 20% utilization.

Resolution, target frame rate, target settings, and the specific game are all necessary factors to consider when looking at what will bottleneck a system.

FullHD, RDR 2, GTA 5, Assassin's Creed all parts, FarCry all parts, 60 FPS is fine but with 144 FPS I'm more happy.

10 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Hard not to feel like you're being a little obtuse here. What country do you live in and what retailers do you have access to? Then we can maybe get info on your local pricing to make meaningful suggestions. 

Almost all people from my country buy PC components here https://rozetka.com.ua/

FullHD, RDR 2, GTA 5, Assassin's Creed all parts, FarCry all parts, 60 FPS is fine but with 144 FPS I'm more happy.

Almost all people from my country buy PC components here https://rozetka.com.ua/

The 5800X3D is available there for what converts to just under $400 USD. Significantly higher than the US pricing but also significantly lower than what you said.

Anyway, it looks like you should easily be able to fit a Ryzen 5600 and something like an RX 6700 XT/6750 XT into your budget ordering from there. 

6 minutes ago, Middcore said:

The 5800X3D is available there for what converts to just under $400 USD.

It's misunderstanding. Now there is a huge sale for this CPU, but in a couple days it'll over. There is a black number near to red number. This black number will be forever, red number only for a few days. So it costs 540$ here.

10 minutes ago, Middcore said:

RX 6700 XT/6750 XT

Why? RX 7600 has almost the same performance, but it's a lot cheaper.

7 minutes ago, SandyBay said:

In those games at 1080p FullHD, if you want 144 FPS, you'll need to upgrade your CPU. The 2700X should be good for 60fps in all of those games, though.

Given that you're playing at 1080p, and hope to get a higher framerate, I think upgrading your CPU is a good idea. The lower the resolution, the less powerful of a graphics card is needed to push higher framerates. So if you don't intend to upgrade your monitor in the near future, an upgrade to a Ryzen 7 5700X or even better a Ryzen 7 5800X3D would give you a nice uplift. The 5800X3D is just as powerful in gaming as AM5 parts like the R5 7600.

For the graphics card, the RX 6700XT would be the first thing I'd look at. At 1080p it should be able to push over 100fps in all of those games, and getting to 144fps if you are willing to turn down settings a bit shouldn't be a problem.

You could also consider the RTX 3060 Ti if you really want to go Nvidia - it's a bit slower and only has 8GB of VRAM, which is why I'd recommend the RX 6700XT, but it looks like it costs about the same on the site that you gave.