Pantone gets a lot of free press on LTT videos so we all know who they are. Maybe we can help get the price of tuberculosis testing down

Mod Yokosuka

TLDR: Danaher owns Pantone. Pantone gets lots of free press on LTT. We all know who they are. Tuberculosis kills a lot of people and its curable. Lets amplify this as hard and as far as we can. If anyone at LTT reads this it would be wonderful if you guys could quickly help amplify this.

if you think LMG has any impact on pantone's business model.. you must think LMG is some sort of tech god..

the link between Pantone and this miracle machine is also.. not really there? they have the same parent company, just like ARM holding and Alibaba.

beyond that.. yeah.. this is the unfortunate truth of a lot of the medical world. every person in the world could write to this company to say they are deeply disappointed in the practisce of locking life-saving medicine behind sickening profit margins.. and they would still give no fudge.. because you have no choice, and it's legal for them to do so. (trying to not get political, but you know what i mean by that last bit.)

No but I think we can all help spread this as far and as fast as possible and... assist... the people running the parent company to make good choices.  We did it when Johnson and Johnson tried to raise the price of TB medicine we were able to help stop it with a similar campaign.

52 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if you think LMG has any impact on pantone's business model.. you must think LMG is some sort of tech god..

the link between Pantone and this miracle machine is also.. not really there? they have the same parent company, just like ARM holding and Alibaba.

beyond that.. yeah.. this is the unfortunate truth of a lot of the medical world. every person in the world could write to this company to say they are deeply disappointed in the practisce of locking life-saving medicine behind sickening profit margins.. and they would still give no fudge.. because you have no choice, and it's legal for them to do so. (trying to not get political, but you know what i mean by that last bit.)

Actually yeah.  Social media influencers have 

Wait for it. 

INFLUENCE.  

Influencers have managed to make companies and governments change their behavior.  Influencers have managed to become heads of government (in more than one country).  LTT has more subscribers than CNN has viewers.  So yeah they could influence what a company does. 

1 minute ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Actually yeah.  Social media influencers have 

Wait for it. 

INFLUENCE.  

surprisingly a lot less influence than necessary to sway a multi billion dollar medical giant.

2 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

LTT has more subscribers than CNN has viewers

subscribers < = > viewers, and not all of those subscribers are in a terretory that could have political influence over said company, and this assumes that the given company gives a fudge about public perception at all. i'd are wager that the overlap between people potentially buying testing equipment of this corporation, and the people watching LMG.. is essentially zero. the medical world is one of dinosaurs, dinosaurs who may watch CNN over dinner and wonder what this new twitter thing is all about.

case in point.. i've had my fair share of "managing IT for the medical sector", and the particular corporations i had part of managing were surprisingly modern in their IT policy compared to others.. and even they had written directive to "buy intel, because AMD is just worse". that's the level of illiterate we're at here. the sort of folks that dont believe in anything but broadcast TV as a valid medium.

13 minutes ago, manikyath said:

surprisingly a lot less influence than necessary to sway a multi billion dollar medical giant.

subscribers < = > viewers, and not all of those subscribers are in a terretory that could have political influence over said company, and this assumes that the given company gives a fudge about public perception at all.

Most companies of any size care about PR.    That's why you'll see a giant like Archer Daniels Midland or DuPont  or BASF advertise ... even if they don't sell directly to individuals. 

i'd are wager that the overlap between people potentially buying testing equipment of this corporation, and the people watching LMG.. is essentially zero. the medical world is one of dinosaurs, dinosaurs who may watch CNN over dinner and wonder what this new twitter thing is all about.

LOL  This is very possible.  Lots of people buying that equipment will be dinosaurs or under the control of dinosaurs.  The kind of people who will still have an old IBM Thinkpad because it still works and does what they need it to.   The type of people who are the reason so many cash registers are still IBM's. 

That said, I think you are underselling what social media infulence can do.    

case in point.. i've had my fair share of "managing IT for the medical sector", and the particular corporations i had part of managing were surprisingly modern in their IT policy compared to others.. and even they had written directive to "buy intel, because AMD is just worse". that's the level of illiterate we're at here. the sort of folks that dont believe in anything but broadcast TV as a valid medium.

This I believe to be true.  There are a lot of people like that.  However, many dinosaurs ... people who are in their 60's now had computers and then the internet from the 1980's onward.  Many of them can be more knowledgeable than hip young people.  (I've had students swear they don't know how to use Google ... and that it is impossible to get a chart made in Excel into MS Word).  IT may do nothing or who knows it could do something.  

The big issue is what could LMG really do.  Pantone has cornered the market on colors that are accurate on screen, and when printed/manufactured into merch.  They made a video a while back about Pantone having bad practices that relate directly to what they do. 

Paying a TON of money for the colors. 

Then doing this. 

Which if anything would just be Pantone's corporate parent SUCKS part II.   He's kinda made this video but this follow up would be about that company being abusive about health and life. 

2 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Which if anything would just be Pantone's corporate parent SUCKS part II.   He's kinda made this video but this follow up would be about that company being abusive about health and life. 

but even the parent company isnt the problem here.

sidenote - for completeness sake.. pantone is owner by X-rite, who is owned by danaher.

it's sort of like complaining to lada about the pricing on alpine cars. technically they're all under the renault umberella, but one has no means of influencing the other. i'm sure influencers could make a slight stink about alpine, but lada has nothing to carry in that conversation.

(PS: i'm aware this is slightly false, because as of last year renault sold lada.. but the comparison still holds up)

11 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

BASF advertise ... even if they don't sell directly to individuals. 

have you ever seen a BASF advertisement? it is exactly what you expect to see after a board room meeting of people named barney the dinosaur going "oil image bad, make oil image good advertising campaign"

you're correct in that they care about image.. but the way in which they care is so dated that for all intents and purposes - they actually dont.

To be honest, TB is not relatively common. If you want to push on big pharma, go after the real stuff needed, like Insulin that far far far more people are dependent on. The inventor of Insulin never intended it to be used for profit like it is today. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

One of my friends in Ukraine was just diagnosed with TB a few weeks ago and is completing her treatment.  Another friend of mine in Pittsburgh was taking and allergy test and the doctor said there is a TB outbreak in Pittsburgh currently.  It's also common enough that we test everyone in the United States who interacts with children regularly like school teachers and daycare workers.

To quote https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/tuberculosis

• A total of 1.6 million people died from TB in 2021 (including 187 000 people with HIV). Worldwide, TB is the 13th leading cause of death and the second leading infectious killer after COVID-19 (above HIV and AIDS).

Besides trying to lower the cost of TB treatment and insulin treatment is not a zero sum game.  We are in control of both as a society and we can fix both.

/b/ LTT is not your personal army.

last thing we need is LTT talking about something they know exactly nothing about trying to push for change in an unrelated industry, when they can barely get the things they are supposed experts in right.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

-= Moved to Off Topic =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER