Should I buy xbox series X just to play backward compatible games (no exclusives, nothing)

Ayush008

Hello guys,

I hope you're doing well..

Stay safe and healthy 

(Your opinions are highly valuable for me)

I know many of you guys have great knowledge regarding hardware stuffs and all..so I thought to share this post.

Recently I have started playing retro games but I relaise there are many games that don't support mordern pc hardware and soft...., so we need to find mods n all like wide-screen fix, controller support patch etc.. I have realized that xbox series x is great in terms of backward compatibility... but at the same time I don't want to waste my time and money....like unnecessary expenses and all...hope I will find solution here 

Please feel free to share me your opinion 

while its true emulators or similar often need some tweaks, its still the far better option and also with xbox your limited to xbox games.... thats fine i guess, just rather limited and i wouldn't call it "retro" necessarily either. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Depends what you mean by "great" in terms in backward compatibility. Do you just plan on playing Xbox One games? Then maybe that statement is ok. Do you want to play Xbox 360 or Xbox games, then not so much. I know personally I have over 150 360 title in my collection. Most of my collection I would consider to be "popular" are known titles, and very few are playable on an Xbox series X.

29 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Depends what you mean by "great" in terms in backward compatibility. Do you just plan on playing Xbox One games? Then maybe that statement is ok. Do you want to play Xbox 360 or Xbox games, then not so much. I know personally I have over 150 360 title in my collection. Most of my collection I would consider to be "popular" are known titles, and very few are playable on an Xbox series X.

Thnx @OhioYJ,

For sharing your experience. I appreciate it. Recently I'm looking for splinter cell  pandora tomorrow, but it's unavailable everywhere though there are some sites where you can download it but still wide-screen fix, controller support, need to handle lot of bugs etc.

29 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Thnx @OhioYJ,

For sharing your experience. I appreciate it. Recently I'm looking for splinter cell  pandora tomorrow, but it's unavailable everywhere though there are some sites where you can download it but still wide-screen fix, controller support, need to handle lot of bugs etc.

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

while its true emulators or similar often need some tweaks, its still the far better option and also with xbox your limited to xbox games.... thats fine i guess, just rather limited and i wouldn't call it "retro" necessarily either. 

Thnx @Mark Kaine, for sharing your opinion. I appreciate it though Recently I'm looking for splinter cell  pandora tomorrow, but it's unavailable everywhere .There are some sites where you can download it but still wide-screen fix, controller support, need to handle lot of bugs etc.

6 hours ago, Ayush008 said:

I have realized that xbox series x is great in terms of backward compatibility

It's only great for back to the 360 as there's only 63 OG xbox titles in the xbox one/series backward compatibility list while the backward compatibility list in the 360 has 462 games playable from the 996 games that were released.

2 hours ago, demonix00 said:

It's only great for back to the 360 as there's only 63 OG xbox titles in the xbox one/series backward compatibility list while the backward compatibility list in the 360 has 462 games playable from the 996 games that were released.

Thnx @demonix00 , for sharing your opinion. I appriciate it. I may be wrong and usually I'm but I have seen lot of people playing original xbox titles like splinter cell pandora tomorrow in series x 4k 60 fps...

Kindly guide me if I'm wrong 

On 9/7/2023 at 4:05 PM, Ayush008 said:

Thnx @demonix00 , for sharing your opinion. I appriciate it. I may be wrong and usually I'm but I have seen lot of people playing original xbox titles like splinter cell pandora tomorrow in series x 4k 60 fps...

Kindly guide me if I'm wrong 

That's because splinter cell pandora tomorrow is in the series backwards compatibility list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backward-compatible_games_for_Xbox_One_and_Series_X/S#List_of_compatible_titles_from_Xbox

List for reference.

15 hours ago, demonix00 said:

That's because splinter cell pandora tomorrow is in the series backwards compatibility list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backward-compatible_games_for_Xbox_One_and_Series_X/S#List_of_compatible_titles_from_Xbox

List for reference.

Do you have any preference list ? 

Will they add more titles like prince of persia warrior within 

14 hours ago, Ayush008 said:

Do you have any preference list ? 

Will they add more titles like prince of persia warrior within 

They stopped adding titles to the backward compatibility list under two years ago, so what you see is all you're going to get.

Honestly if what you want is to play 360 and OG Xbox titles I'd really just recommend picking up a Xbox 360, they're much cheaper and support way more than newer platforms, the 360 Model S or E are the best.
If you want streaming or the minor upgrades in visual performance I'd grab a Xbox One X as everything the Series X can do (for backwards comp) the One X can.
But if you want backwards compat, with streaming, and have any interest in newer games or game pass, I'd wait a month or two and grab a Series X 

On 9/11/2023 at 3:56 AM, demonix00 said:

They stopped adding titles to the backward compatibility list under two years ago, so what you see is all you're going to get.

But why ? 

It's there loss isn't?

My friend bought an xbox series x for the same reason and it's now collecting dust since it's basically useless once you've played the 3 exclusives they have. For backward compatibility just go for the emulation route, most of them are quite easy to set up and understand.

7 hours ago, Ayush008 said:

But why ? 

It's there loss isn't?

No it's not. They want you to buy new games. They have to spend time and money making the games work on the new system. They've done the bare minimum so they can say they have "backwards compatibility." Personally, I don't consider it backwards compatible at all. It barely plays any of my 360 or Xbox library. 

They don't want to waste resources on this.

6 hours ago, nmsxsu said:

My friend bought an xbox series x for the same reason and it's now collecting dust since it's basically useless once you've played the 3 exclusives they have. For backward compatibility just go for the emulation route, most of them are quite easy to set up and understand.

Thnx @nmsxsu, for shsrung your friends experience though I have already purchased it. Now what should I do ?

1 hour ago, OhioYJ said:

No it's not. They want you to buy new games. They have to spend time and money making the games work on the new system. They've done the bare minimum so they can say they have "backwards compatibility." Personally, I don't consider it backwards compatible at all. It barely plays any of my 360 or Xbox library. 

They don't want to waste resources on this.

You mean they have lied to us...? Ooh my God what will I do now ?

Ooh sweet Jesus 

Just now, Ayush008 said:

Thnx @nmsxsu, for shsrung your friends experience though I have already purchased it. Now what should I do ?

Oh well crap. You can still play amazing games like Sunset Overdrive, The Halo Series (If you like it), And use it as a “second player” for free to play games like warzone or Apex. For Example when I go to my friends house we often play warzone together this way (He plays on his xbox and I play on his PS5). If you can’t find any use for it I recommend just selling it to somebody else that really wants it.