How do you personally deal with workplace bullying/harassment?

Windows7ge

At my workplace I have a co-worker (who shall remain nameless). He has been with the company for about 13 years while I have been with them about 1. To the best of my understanding and speaking with supervisors he has no authority over me. Only seniority for working there much longer.

Over that year what started as fairly friendly warehouse banter has recently (in the last two months) degraded into bouts of blatant hazing and harassment. (When jokes stop being jokes)

I'm internally conflicted because until recently he showed to have no ill-will against me personally and treated me like everyone else. But now despite his behavior staying the same with everyone else when something upsets him I've appeared to become his punching bag (figuratively).

If I'm in his vicinity (which is all day) I'm his target.

If I'm speaking with a co-worker he will interject just to start an argument.

If I try to address what he's mad about he makes very vague threats of physical violence instead of telling me what has him wiled up.

For example, one day I threw a shoebox sized cardboard box into a large recycling bin without flattening it first and he proceeded to go on a 20 minute meltdown over it citing "common sense" without explaining to me what was common given I've seen not folded boxes in the bin 100's of times from other staff.

To his credit when he finally calmed down he did apologize but I don't feel this excuses the behavior.

I spoke with a supervisor regarding the issue and his advise was "ignore him". How well has doing that worked for others?

At this point he has made multiple vague threats of violence so I brought the issue up to another member of faculty and I was advised to speak to the warehouse manager as we don't have a Human Resource dept.

If his behavior persists that will be my next move because my patience only goes so far and I really need this job.

So I ask. How has ignoring a workplace bully panned out for you? Good? Did they stop? Did they continue? Did you have to escalate the issue to management?

I'm writing this partially for advise and partially to vent. This guy has my anxiety through the roof. I feel like I'm walking on egg shells waiting for the next little thing to tick him off. Which is the most annoying part. I don't know what his problem is most of the time he gets angry. Just that I'm his outlet.

Best is to first confront the person and tell them you don't appreciate how they treat you. If it continues, then time to go up the food chain until someone finally listens and steps in to correct it. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

He's picking on you to make himself feel big and tough. Assertively verbally defend yourself next time he throws a hissy fit about some minor perceived sleight or butts his nose into your business. He might move on to an easier target.

18 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If I'm speaking with a co-worker he will interject just to start an argument.

So you're saying you have witnesses.

18 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I spoke with a supervisor regarding the issue and his advise was "ignore him"

If it persists, go over their head.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Try to privately talk about it with the person first. 

"Hey can we talk privately for a few minutes?"

"Did you notice you often do X.  X makes me feel uncomfortable.  I am hoping there isn't an issue, and X can stop."

Warehouse manager here, I tell forklift operators what to do all day and have dealt with a very similar scenario.

If your boss isn’t listening, go to their boss. If their boss isn’t listening, go to theirs and so on.

Call them out in a group, as large of a group as you can. Let it impact your work and relay it to your boss when they start to question why your work quality is poor. Your boss may not give a shit about personal interaction but they absolutely have to give a shit about numbers and productivity. If one asshat is bringing down productivity, that will gain attention quickly from a chain above your boss who will want answers.

The biggest one though is to make it as public and visible as possible, get everyone’s attention on the matter to make sure they know. A lot of times stuff like this is glanced over regardless of severity because people just don’t want to be involved. When it goes unchecked it can escalate and nobody wants that.

Dont interact with the person if they start some shit, fuck off somewhere else directly to other people or management and relay the issue. Every single time it happens, do it again and again and again until it becomes a known issue.

Seniority means nothing as far as workplace etiquette and demeanor goes. Everyone is expected to act respectfully and civilly to eachother wether they’ve been at the workplace 20 years or 2 weeks. I’ve outright told my operators union rep before to get the fuck off my dock because they insisted on yelling at a new guy. Grieve me, I’ve got you on camera harassing a newbie. Doesn’t matter who you are, it’s unacceptable behavior.

Tldr

-don’t interact or respond to the person in any negative context

-every time they try and start, immediately contact a manager or larger group of people

-call out even the tiniest hints of it when you’re in a larger group with this person

-continue to pursue the issue with elevated management until it’s resolved 

Was not anticipating this many replies in such short about of time. Thanks everyone.

2 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Best is to first confront the person and tell them you don't appreciate how they treat you.

I can attempt this. I've not directly confronted him about his recent behavior but from earlier experience he is of the type where if he doesn't see you as an equal or higher he won't give you a second to speak if he feels you're wasting his time. He will make noises that distract your ability to complete a single sentence cause he doesn't want to hear it...

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

He's picking on you to make himself feel big and tough. Assertively verbally defend yourself next time he throws a hissy fit about some minor perceived sleight or butts his nose into your business. He might move on to an easier target.

So you're saying you have witnesses.

If it persists, go over their head.

As much as I would love to use warehouse banter to defend myself I struggle with critical thinking especially under stress. I cannot formulate sentences effective enough, fast enough, to defend myself without stumbling over my own words and sounding like I'm not capable of defending myself. I am very good however at conveying my thoughts through writing/typing which is why I might skip to the latter suggestion. I am on good terms with the warehouse manager who is one step over my supervisor. I can send him direct e-mails.

2 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

Try to privately talk about it with the person first. 

"Hey can we talk privately for a few minutes?"

"Did you notice you often do X.  X makes me feel uncomfortable.  I am hoping there isn't an issue, and X can stop."

Their is a glimmer of hope this could work given his prior cooperative behavior but he's currently impossible to predict. I would have to catch him in a good mood for him to give me the time of day to have that conversation which is harder to tell than you might think. He like many other men internalizes his emotions. You can't tell his mood until you enter his "territory". At which point he's either quiet or immediately gives you grief. So I'm not sure this would be effective as ideal this solution would be.

2 hours ago, Caroline said:

Talk with your superiors. Take it to HR **WITH PROOF** (audio recordings, video would be even better) otherwise it's his word against yours and if the guy "knows a guy who knows a guy" in HR you're DONE.

This might be controversial.

Reveal hidden contents

My favourite is wait until the shift's over then start menacingly following him through the parking lot until he reaches his car, then simply stand there so he knows I'm watching. Find his address and drive there at night just to slip a napkin under his wipers with nothing but "I know" written on it. No silly stuff like the "piss disc" or other 4chanite nonsense, piss contains DNA you know, DNA = evidence.

I have my variations, if it's a married man I'll write "love you [his name here]" and add a little heart drawing with lipstick, apply some perfume and leave it somewhere his wife can find it before he does, see we create a little domestic chaos. That wouldn't work for you though.

Technically I'm not commiting any crimes by simply walking through parking lots and leaving random notes on cars so there's nothing the popo can do. This might vary according to local laws.

See my intention isn't to commit any crimes but to cause constant, unexpected, annoying situations for the guy until he snaps at work and either loudly wants to "take it outside bitch" or destroys company property. Either way his L, legally, he has no evidence it was actually me doing or causing XYZ things, case in court would be weaker than a vegan mountain climber.

I'm pretty chill at work and my coworkers are fine but in the event something like your case happens, that's my plan, or at least part of it.

As mentioned before, company is too small. There is no HR but yes warehouse manager I have been informed would be my next step above my superior who didn't really help the situation. Getting audio or video evidence would be...harder. No security cameras in the warehouse and I can't exactly whip out my phone the next time he goes on a threatening tyraid. Witnesses on the other hand. Very possible and realistic. Due to the small size of the work space we have several people in and out of the vicinity all day long who could act as testimony for who did what.

For the latter part if it did come to slinging mud I am...I don't want to say diabolically but very hard thinking of ways that could cause him to slip up and take things too far while I play "pacifist". In that scenario, take it to management. Witnesses can't say I did anything but he was the aggressor. Afterwords he would get some form of reprimanded while I walk away scott-free.

Yeah...won't lie the intrusive thoughts have crossed my mind he's starting to irritate me that badly. I don't know what's happening in his home life. I don't know if he has a real medical diagnoses that might explain his aggressive behavior, Autism, Bi-Polar, OCD, ADHD (those might all fall under Autism, please don't quote me). In which case I have to give him some degree of leeway but some of his behavior has still been inexcusable no matter what his problem is.

2 hours ago, micha_vulpes said:
  • I changed my name in the email and phone directory, which eliminated a lot of initial first contact condescension.
  • I address the individual and ask them why they are being the way they are, a lot of people are not trying to be bullies they just do not know how abrasive some of their communication comes across - especially in today's world of primarily digital interoffice communication. Do this in private. Don't call people out in public if you can help it as that will probably put them on the defensive/double down, and even potentially allow them to internally justify their actions further solidifying their resolve to be abrasive.
  • If the above does not resolve conflicts, then there is the chain of command to follow. I reported to my supervisor the issues, and left it to them as managing personnel matters is the managers job, not mine as an engineer or sme

I'd also like to point out from your description above there seems to be no precipitating events for their change in personality. Sudden changes like that in people can often be indicative of home life issues be them monetary, family, relationship and or marital issues.  When these stressors pile up on people they can manifest in aggressive behavior and those people will often either select one "target" that becomes their outlet, usually someone that wont challenge them or will take the abuse, Or they just hate everyone and become entirely unpleasant.

AS a side note as a former employee in the military and support fields: the closer and tighter nit working groups got, their "jokes" would often become more abrasive, and more like digs at their co workers only because of familiarity to the point you could get reported to HR by passers by that overheard your conversations. Typical office banter from this time in my life would in no way be acceptable in my current occupation and would absolutely land me as being reported for harassment. I assume a lot of long term warehouse workers have a similar camaraderie

If you reported to HR, and they did nothing, report to your supervisor, or report to their supervisor. HR basically tries to be hands off unless there is an actionable legal issue in my observations. Until it crosses a line, they cant or wont help.

You make good points and made an excellent synopsis of how I view the situation. As I mentioned to a reply above I know I have not directly offended him or given him reason to dislike me given no change in the way I treat him for the year including when these issues started. This giving me reason to believe he has had a change in his home life and he's bringing this "luggage" into the workplace which is wholeheartedly unprofessional even among a small warehouse of guys who like to throw banter around for fun.

Jokes stop being jokes when you angrily threaten to start a confrontation on more than one occasion unprovoked and without prior reason to want to start one.

You also make a great point that I share about the thoughts of HR (if we had one) and how they probably can't do anything even if I have to bring this to the warehouse manager's attention. The individual in question. I can tell he knows he had to be careful what words he chooses when he's angry. He knows if he makes a direct threat of violence that will get him in trouble. He's smart, intelligent, a quick thinker, and has a sharp tongue. He knows what he can get away with so he dances around the words he knows he can't say.

One of his favorites is telling me I belong in the corner (that I work in) at times he sees me not in said corner, this also includes saying "wandering" again and again when I am again, not in said corner. This banter in itself isn't problem-some except for he's been doing it for months and has beaten this dead horse of a joke into the ground. Now he's just being an ass when he says it.

2 hours ago, 8tg said:

Warehouse manager here, I tell forklift operators what to do all day and have dealt with a very similar scenario.

If your boss isn’t listening, go to their boss. If their boss isn’t listening, go to theirs and so on.

Call them out in a group, as large of a group as you can. Let it impact your work and relay it to your boss when they start to question why your work quality is poor. Your boss may not give a shit about personal interaction but they absolutely have to give a shit about numbers and productivity. If one asshat is bringing down productivity, that will gain attention quickly from a chain above your boss who will want answers.

The biggest one though is to make it as public and visible as possible, get everyone’s attention on the matter to make sure they know. A lot of times stuff like this is glanced over regardless of severity because people just don’t want to be involved. When it goes unchecked it can escalate and nobody wants that.

Dont interact with the person if they start some shit, fuck off somewhere else directly to other people or management and relay the issue. Every single time it happens, do it again and again and again until it becomes a known issue.

Seniority means nothing as far as workplace etiquette and demeanor goes. Everyone is expected to act respectfully and civilly to eachother wether they’ve been at the workplace 20 years or 2 weeks. I’ve outright told my operators union rep before to get the fuck off my dock because they insisted on yelling at a new guy. Grieve me, I’ve got you on camera harassing a newbie. Doesn’t matter who you are, it’s unacceptable behavior.

Tldr

-don’t interact or respond to the person in any negative context

-every time they try and start, immediately contact a manager or larger group of people

-call out even the tiniest hints of it when you’re in a larger group with this person

-continue to pursue the issue with elevated management until it’s resolved 

Their was one day in particular when his comments did mess my head up for the whole day and let me tell you I did not get a whole lot got done so this could be a feasible direction to go if his behavior doesn't improve. I've also already decided the next step is going to be going over my supervisor's head as "ignoring" the problem is hard when the individual is very loud and distracting especially when I'm just trying to do my job or help a co-worker understand a problem I have experience with.

Ignoring him was advised to me and for the time being will be something I try to do but it's hard. It's really hard. I have to try and do this for maybe a month or two and see what he does in that time. He usually doesn't escalate to threats until I engage the conversation though. So it won't be easy to take it to a manager with a simple "he was trying to distracting me" cause that's usually how he starts then it escalates.

That's my philosophy as well. You worked for a company for X number of years but you're still the same rank as the new guy. Like you want a freaking metal or something? You can't push me around. You have no say over my job. Can't dock my pay, can't send me home, can't tell me what to do (he tries though). I also built really good roper with the supervisors and managers in the relative short time I've been here so they are inclined to listen if I tell them he's become a real issue even though he has 12+ years on me.

Calling out his behavior is something I can do in the physical space we have where people are around the whole shift. Especially if it's a vague threat of violence as he's been doing as of late.

32 minutes ago, Caroline said:

First and foremost: 🤝

Second having a condition isn't an excuse to be an insufferable twat so no. I'd put horse grade laxatives in his coffee tbh.

Remind me never to make you mad. I feel like something nasty would show up in my mailbox. 😅

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Their is a glimmer of hope this could work given his prior cooperative behavior but he's currently impossible to predict. I would have to catch him in a good mood for him to give me the time of day to have that conversation which is harder to tell than you might think. He like many other men internalizes his emotions. You can't tell his mood until you enter his "territory". At which point he's either quiet or immediately gives you grief. So I'm not sure this would be effective as ideal this solution would be.

It might work or it might not.  But it should be the first step, as it makes subsequent action (involving others) better for you. 

You tried to solve the problem yourself in a professional manner. 

Don't overthink this. 

Establish your personal boundaries and politely enforce them. 

What ever happened to the days when you would stand up for yourself and tell someone to F**k Off? 

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

2 minutes ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

What ever happened to the days when you would stand up for yourself and tell someone to F**k Off? 

They were gone the day companies decided to implement no fault policies. They don't care who started it. Everyone involved gets fired.

Saw it happen before at a different job I had. It was over a cell phone in the warehouse. Caused a verbal dispute. One of the two parties stated they didn't want to get in trouble over something this silly. Both individuals were fired anyways. Company didn't care who started it.

be the bully... 🤷‍♂️

work so fuc$ hard they dont question you... 🤷‍♂️

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know who would be interested in an update to this situation so I'm sorry if you didn't want to be @ed. Let me know and I'll exclude you if there's another update.

@Skiiwee29 @Needfuldoer @Caroline @ToboRobot @8tg

So for context, I'm going to refer to a quote in my original post.

For example, one day I threw a shoebox sized cardboard box into a large recycling bin without flattening it first and he proceeded to go on a 20 minute meltdown over it citing "common sense" without explaining to me what was common given I've seen not folded boxes in the bin 100's of times from other staff.

To his credit when he finally calmed down he did apologize but I don't feel this excuses the behavior.

I spoke with a supervisor regarding the issue and his advise was "ignore him".

Today he decided to go unhinged again and proceed to contradict himself. Today I proactively had a flattened piece of cardboard and disposed of it in the correct recycle bin in a way that would not impact the ability to add more to the bin.

He witnessed me do this and proceeded to go: *sigh*  "I have been doing everything in my power to ignore you."

To which he then LAID into me that these where HIS recycle bins and that I needed to take out my own garbage.

You told me...a month-ish ago...to fold the boxes before putting them in these bins. I've been putting cardboard in these bins for the last 11 months along with everyone else in the building. Suddenly they're YOUR property and I was never supposed to use them...and hold on "everything in my power to ignore you." WHAT else have I been doing in that span of time that bothers you!? You haven't said a word to me again until today. You're opting to wait until you reach a boiling point to say anything to me? How does that help anyone?

I'm not going to go into details on the verbal argument that took place immediately after...

What he really doesn't understand is due to the layout and nature of what we do keeping the warehouse clean is really more of a community effort and I can tell from the floor and his workbench that he does the absolute bare minimum.

So today was the last straw. I privately brought this to the attention of my Warehouse Manager and another member of management. We sat down (without the individual in question) and brought forth all of my issues and concerns regarding him over the last ~3 months. I don't have great hope that this will take me anywhere as separating the two of us isn't easily done because of the building layout and our respective roles but I don't think they could change anything that could worsen the situation.

I made my points clear, concise, and told them where I stand in regards to how thin my patience has been worn with him. He's a short, little bit built dude. I'm not worried about him attaching me but I am worried his attitude is about to cost me my job. I cannot believe the petty things he's getting angry over.

If anything significant comes of the discussion they say they're going to have with him I will update again.

I'll say it sounds more like he's got a personal grudge for some reason and now just looking to run you off (Make you quit).
So.... He's ignoring you..... Or so they say. 

Have they even made it known WHAT their problem with you is?
Dropped any hints or is it something that's just "Obvious" when it comes down to it?

Also it's a good thing you haven't outlined anything too specific here about it because they (The individual or the company) can possibly resort to snooping since this (The thread) is publically available information so you can't stop them or any third party acting on their behalf from looking if they want to, in a case of them suspecting something legal may come from it.

If they know you by your forum name they can associate anything you post towards any arguement/case you may have and I know a company has and will use the means to do so if they really want to and you'd never know about it yourself. 

Speaking of that, go ahead and talk to a lawyer so if it comes down to it, if management still can't seem to solve things on their own maybe a lawyer can provide incentive to.
Be aware any lawyer doing their due dilligence WILL ask some questions just to make sure you're not blowing smoke up someone's ass, looking for an EZ buck or in the wrong yourself, trying to place/pass blame into whomever for whatever AND for them to establish what you have is justly worth pursuing legally. 

You don't have to "Make it known" to anyone you're speaking with a lawyer (Definitely NOT to anyone at work, there or outside the workplace itself) but when considering all this, that's what I'd do for now and at least get some advice.
Labor law where you are matters here and that's the biggest reason you'd want the advice, frankly to CYA when it comes down to it.

Be sure you yourself are not in the wrong, that being important because any wrong doing on your part will only help to spoil any case/arguement you'd have yourself and might even flip it all back towards you as being "The Problem".

Alos know once legal action becomes known by the person/company all bets are off so from that point foward mind your P's and Q's.
I hope it doesn't have to go that far but if it does, you've been warned.

On 8/26/2023 at 8:38 PM, Windows7ge said:

They were gone the day companies decided to implement no fault policies. They don't care who started it. Everyone involved gets fired.

Saw it happen before at a different job I had. It was over a cell phone in the warehouse. Caused a verbal dispute. One of the two parties stated they didn't want to get in trouble over something this silly. Both individuals were fired anyways. Company didn't care who started it.

Believe it or not that's not uncommon even now, I know it sucks for the one being messed with (Not at fault/primary fault) but from the company's perspective it's best to be rid of any potential troublemakers that may cause a lawsuit against them.

Have the proof of your side of it right and ready so if it comes down to such action, you're prepared and I will advise you that HR not only deals with payroll, hiring, firing and so on, their absolute primary job is to watch for anything that may lead to a legal dispute from an employee vs the company.

HR may be all smiles and "Hello" whenever they see/talk to you but never forget they aren't your friend when it comes down to it.
Their first priority IS the company..... Never forget that so be careful when talking to them.
They will try to dredge details from you about your own intent of action(s) and that's just part of their job. Biggest tip off for them is just how you react in general when asked about it so keep all that under control and respond as you always would otherwise.

On 8/26/2023 at 8:31 PM, Rocketdog2112 said:

Those days still exist - I can promise you that. 😉
It's not like I'm in a position for having to do that these days (Retired) but I'm not afraid to do so if someone decides to push the button that makes me talk like that.... And I will, have before and subject to do it if ever in such a situation again.

Had to say all the above because I've been there before and speak from experience with such things from both sides of it (Employee and Management).

Good luck.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

8 hours ago, Caroline said:

Heh, midgets sure talk a lot of shit considering their size. I could prolly punch the top of his head like in cartoons if he's an angry little fella.

When I originally went to my supervisor (one step below warehouse manager) he told me "Well you know, the smaller they are the louder they bark". Also when he does go off he very insistently stays in his corner and doesn't leave while he barks.

Also imagine unironically thinking rubbish bins at WORK are YOURS........... what???? they're company property. He might play the OCD card and say he *really* likes those particular bins for XYZ reasons that don't make any sense to us, well, to you maybe, I also have my oddities but they're related to things like tech, lighting, electrical work, and not literal... litter, heh.

Fill his bins with boxes when he's not looking 😈

That's what immediately came to mind while he was yelling (the first thing). He's worked there for so long he has the mindset that his workspace and items he uses are his own. Not the companies. He had me so caught off guard and pissed off that I didn't tell him that though. Should have. Even I understand that nothing I use at work I own. And for the second thing...that's not out of the question. He works an early shift I could just find a pile of cardboard and load up "his" bins after he leave.

Not worth it.

In a side note the "no faults policies" are, pardon my french, beyond retarded.

No it's not worth it but his attitude and compounding temper tantrums are getting to me. I'm keeping enough composure to stay a distance from him and not scream like a total idiot but he almost has me there.

Like geez, talk to me like an adult about what you don't like already instead of bottling it up. He even made the quote "I'm older than you." yesterday now. Like, congratulations. START ACTING LIKE IT!!!

7 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

I'll say it sounds more like he's got a personal grudge for some reason and now just looking to run you off (Make you quit).
So.... He's ignoring you..... Or so they say. 

Have they even made it known WHAT their problem with you is?
Dropped any hints or is it something that's just "Obvious" when it comes down to it?

I really cannot tell. He refuses to actually sit down and talk. It could be there was a trigger and now he just hates me. It could be cumulative things I do that he refuses to address to me. I'm half convinced he's a man-child. He's really acting like any juvenile kid would.

Also it's a good thing you haven't outlined anything too specific here about it because they (The individual or the company) can possibly resort to snooping since this (The thread) is publically available information so you can't stop them or any third party acting on their behalf from looking if they want to, in a case of them suspecting something legal may come from it.

If they know you by your forum name they can associate anything you post towards any arguement/case you may have and I know a company has and will use the means to do so if they really want to and you'd never know about it yourself. 

Not too worried about this. I have no social media and my forum username(s) has never been brought up in the company. Nothing in the company links my real person to Windows7ge.

Speaking of that, go ahead and talk to a lawyer so if it comes down to it, if management still can't seem to solve things on their own maybe a lawyer can provide incentive to.
Be aware any lawyer doing their due dilligence WILL ask some questions just to make sure you're not blowing smoke up someone's ass, looking for an EZ buck or in the wrong yourself, trying to place/pass blame into whomever for whatever AND for them to establish what you have is justly worth pursuing legally. 

You don't have to "Make it known" to anyone you're speaking with a lawyer (Definitely NOT to anyone at work, there or outside the workplace itself) but when considering all this, that's what I'd do for now and at least get some advice.
Labor law where you are matters here and that's the biggest reason you'd want the advice, frankly to CYA when it comes down to it.

Be sure you yourself are not in the wrong, that being important because any wrong doing on your part will only help to spoil any case/arguement you'd have yourself and might even flip it all back towards you as being "The Problem".

Alos know once legal action becomes known by the person/company all bets are off so from that point foward mind your P's and Q's.
I hope it doesn't have to go that far but if it does, you've been warned.

We aren't at this level yet. I'll talk to the warehouse manager several times or higher than him before I go that far. If the individual ever throws a fist though I will call the cops provided adequate evidence and witnesses.

Have the proof of your side of it right and ready so if it comes down to such action, you're prepared and I will advise you that HR not only deals with payroll, hiring, firing and so on, their absolute primary job is to watch for anything that may lead to a legal dispute from an employee vs the company.

We actually don't have an HR. Comapny is too small. <20 employees.

Those days still exist - I can promise you that. 😉
It's not like I'm in a position for having to do that these days (Retired) but I'm not afraid to do so if someone decides to push the button that makes me talk like that.... And I will, have before and subject to do it if ever in such a situation again.

Had to say all the above because I've been there before and speak from experience with such things from both sides of it (Employee and Management).

Good luck.

I appreciate it. Given the warnings I've given others all around I don't feel my job is in jeopardy if I do have to verbally tell him to fuck off and leave me alone. We have almost no business reason to talk to one another. We just cross each others spaces all day.

Is this actually a well paid job to worry about? What else do you do there besides disposing of boxes? If that is what it is, there must be hundreds of other jobs you could do. 

If nothing changes, and this impacts your mental (and also physical) health, go elsewhere. 

Obviously we only hear your side. Maybe that guy is a tool, and management won't help, but maybe you also need to toughen up and not let it get to you. Just laugh about him. This won't be the last time in your life that someone mis-treats you. 

Does the same happen to other employees? If so, talk to them and dunk him in a rain barrel upside down for a few seconds or something (obviously don't do that.... but that is how it used to end).

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

7 hours ago, Lurking said:

Is this actually a well paid job to worry about? What else do you do there besides disposing of boxes? If that is what it is, there must be hundreds of other jobs you could do. 

Well paid? Eh... Worried about? Yes. This job is a stepping stone in my tech carrier. I really need 3 or 4 years before I try to find a higher paying tech job. The cardboard is just shipping packaging from the way the computers are brought in. Everyone pitches in to dispose of pieces at various stages in the audit process.

If nothing changes, and this impacts your mental (and also physical) health, go elsewhere.

I was unemployed for almost three months before this place gave me a chance. I applied to about 40~50 different businesses. Only two gave me the time of day for an interview and one never called me back. I can't give up this job easily.

8 hours ago, Lurking said:

Obviously we only hear your side. Maybe that guy is a tool, and management won't help, but maybe you also need to toughen up and not let it get to you. Just laugh about him. This won't be the last time in your life that someone mis-treats you.

I've dealt with his type before but only in passing. Being trapped in close quarters with him every day is nerve wreaking since he has me walking on egg shells.

8 hours ago, Lurking said:

Does the same happen to other employees?

Based on my observations. No. It's just me. I see him getting along fine with everyone else but if he comes after me I don't think I'd have too much trouble lifting him over my shoulder and proceeding to drop his back down onto the concrete floor.

If anything I don't want it to come to that for multiple reasons. Legal, keep my job, but also because he's a bit of a stocky short-stack everyone around me would feel bad for him.

16 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Well paid? Eh... Worried about? Yes. This job is a stepping stone in my tech carrier. I really need 3 or 4 years before I try to find a higher paying tech job. The cardboard is just shipping packaging from the way the computers are brought in. Everyone pitches in to dispose of pieces at various stages in the audit process.

I was unemployed for almost three months before this place gave me a chance. I applied to about 40~50 different businesses. Only two gave me the time of day for an interview and one never called me back. I can't give up this job easily.

I've dealt with his type before but only in passing. Being trapped in close quarters with him every day is nerve wreaking since he has me walking on egg shells.

Based on my observations. No. It's just me. I see him getting along fine with everyone else but if he comes after me I don't think I'd have too much trouble lifting him over my shoulder and proceeding to drop his back down onto the concrete floor.

If anything I don't want it to come to that for multiple reasons. Legal, keep my job, but also because he's a bit of a stocky short-stack everyone around me would feel bad for him.

Do you get along well with the other employees? Do they ever witness that behavior and step in? He may pick less on you when he realizes you are in good standing with others and he makes a fool of himself. 

I know it sucks and have worked at places where the boss was an asshat and if he was in a bad mood, nothing ever could be right.  

Too bad management isn't helping since his obsession with "his" recycling containers isn't good for the company. 

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

16 minutes ago, Lurking said:

Do you get along well with the other employees? Do they ever witness that behavior and step in? He may pick less on you when he realizes you are in good standing with others and he makes a fool of himself. 

I know it sucks and have worked at places where the boss was an asshat and if he was in a bad mood, nothing ever could be right.  

Too bad management isn't helping since his obsession with "his" recycling containers isn't good for the company. 

Yes. I get along with everybody else just fine. No-one has stepped in to help me though. The people I work with are co-workers, not friends. Good terms but they don't want to get involved. Not even my supervisor who hears it every time this has happened.

This is a co-worker. He's just let it go to his head that because he's wasted over 10 years of his life at a dead-end warehouse job running the dock that he has superiority.

Well they've been officially notified now. Again, don't have high hopes they'll do anything of significance but at the same time it doesn't stop at "his" recycling bins. He's complained at me any time I'm not in "my corner where I'm supposed to be". Which is false. I have valid reason to be in the entirety of the warehouse. Among other apparent triggers he has yet to reveal but has made it known exist.

The big question is. Does he not like how I do my job? Or does he not like me? From past behavior where he used to be cooperative makes me very conflicted and confused as to which it is. Did something happen in his personal life recently and now I'm his frustration outlet? I don't know.

5 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Yes. I get along with everybody else just fine. No-one has stepped in to help me though. The people I work with are co-workers, not friends. Good terms but they don't want to get involved. Not even my supervisor who hears it every time this has happened.

This is a co-worker. He's just let it go to his head that because he's wasted over 10 years of his life at a dead-end warehouse job running the dock that he has superiority.

Well they've been officially notified now. Again, don't have high hopes they'll do anything of significance but at the same time it doesn't stop at "his" recycling bins. He's complained at me any time I'm not in "my corner where I'm supposed to be". Which is false. I have valid reason to be in the entirety of the warehouse. Among other apparent triggers he has yet to reveal but has made it known exist.

The big question is. Does he not like how I do my job? Or does he not like me? From past behavior where he used to be cooperative makes me very conflicted and confused as to which it is. Did something happen in his personal life recently and now I'm his frustration outlet? I don't know.

This is a really bad supervisor. Who knows what other bad stuff they hear about and do nothing about. Your company has a duty to protect you. It is all about when they learn about an issue (or are supposed to proactively find out) and what they do about it at that point. That supervisor is a liability. Doesn't mean they have to side with you. But at minimum they have to investigate, observe and talk to the bully. 

Keep in mind there are tons of Karens and snowflakes nowadays and management may just be sick of all the toddlers complaining because someone parked in someone else's parking spot. So they may not know which complaint is one of the 1% real ones. 

Not sure it is an option, but maybe talk to the bully when leaving work and straight up ask him what the issue seems to be? Hard for us to judge how feasible that is, though. But it sounds like the relationship can't get worse anyway. 

Strengthen relationships with the nice people. Bullies are targeting the lonely victims. To bad no one else says anything. That's weak.

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

This is a really bad supervisor. Who knows what other bad stuff they hear about and do nothing about. Your company has a duty to protect you. It is all about when they learn about an issue (or are supposed to proactively find out) and what they do about it at that point. That supervisor is a liability. Doesn't mean they have to side with you. But at minimum they have to investigate, observe and talk to the bully. 

Keep in mind there are tons of Karens and snowflakes nowadays and management may just be sick of all the toddlers complaining because someone parked in someone else's parking spot. So they may not know which complaint is one of the 1% real ones. 

Not sure it is an option, but maybe talk to the bully when leaving work and straight up ask him what the issue seems to be? Hard for us to judge how feasible that is, though. But it sounds like the relationship can't get worse anyway. 

Strengthen relationships with the nice people. Bullies are targeting the lonely victims. To bad no one else says anything. That's weak.

Super has a guru "let it go" personality and has told me more than once "Ignore him". Yeah, tried that. Doesn't work.

That would be difficult. He's older, has worked there much longer, and has that superiority personality even though he's still a co-worker. He views me as a waste of his time and has no interest in listening to someone younger who has less years put in at the company. Only way he'll vaguely listen is if I somehow piss him off again.

All I know is because of how our operations rely on one-another I'm not doing him any more favors to help him. If he doesn't like that he can take it up with management.

Office politics and backstabbing coworkers. Such is life. 

Bullying and harassment are frown upon in all cases. You should talk with the HR and direct managers. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Just tell him and your bosses you're not working around him when he's having an emotional tantrum.  You're not his mom or his babysitter.  Absolutely pull out your phone and record it.  Tell him it's not every day you get to see a grown man having an emotional meltdown.  Shame absolutely works wonders with these manchilds

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers