what is energy star

Goodmen9008

https://www.energystar.gov/buildings/building_recognition/building_certification

It's a rating for how energy efficient something is…

~edit: Why did you post that in the Programming section? This has nothing to do with software development.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

-Moved to General Discussion-

Please try to post in a an appropriate sub-forum.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

an initiative to make products less wasteful with energy.

Usually, when they come out, they set baselines companies have to reach, however their guidelines are not updated that often, so for many products, the entire industry gets Energy Star certified after a decade and it becomes meaningless

LIke how 80+ white is meaningless today. But it was one of the earliest/most widespread versions of those kinds of products.

4 hours ago, mariushm said:

I don't think it's a bot. This is not the first time I've observed the phenomenon of people using forums or reddit as if they're google. My guess is it's very young/lazy people who don't want to go to the "effort" of clicking a couple of links and locating the information they want so they try to get people to spoonfeed it to them. 

Edited by LogicalDrm
Removed quoted content

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

24 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I don't think it's a bot. This is not the first time I've observed the phenomenon of people using forums or reddit as if they're google. My guess is it's very young/lazy people who don't want to go to the "effort" of clicking a couple of links and locating the information they want so they try to get people to spoonfeed it to them. 

Maybe we need to give them Calvin's Dad answers.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Is energy star even a thing anymore? I remember it from CRTs in late 90s.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

18 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

It seems that it is still a thing but only for appliances rather than consumer electronics.

https://www.energystar.gov/

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

It seems that it is still a thing but only for appliances rather than consumer electronics.

https://www.energystar.gov/

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Once you dive a little deeper, you'll see that it covers far more than that. Even building supplies are covered by Energy Star, I just had new Windows installed and they have ratings. 

See the spoiler for said window sticker.  This is for Canada but Energy Star Canada is an international partner organization/rating. Additionally, here's an excerpt from the ECO declaration from Lenovo on the Legion Slim 7i Gen 8 that I just bought. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.8942119466b4d0928558c881a5aade9a.jpegimage.png.d147c2548531a7c38c9096ae03a90cff.png

It's pretty useless for many consumer products, but Energy Star definitely covers a lot more than appliances.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz